Name help — The Bump
Baby Names

Name help

Josephine Jeraldine 
or
Jorja Jeraldine

Re: Name help

  • Josephine Jeraldine, but is there a reason you are spelling it with a J? I've only seen it spelled Geraldine.
    Bringmemylongswordho
  • We are toying with the nickname JJ
  • Loading the player...
  • Nicknames do not have to be directly from the name. JJ is fine for Joesphine Geraldine.
    FelicitousJinxbriide2be2008
  • Jorja? Sorry but is it supposed to be pronounced like Georgia?  I've never seen it and looks completely rediculous,  if it's a cultural name I'm unaware of, I apologize. 
    steph30032
  • Both legitimate spellings, check google 
  • I would not intentionally misspell a name just so I could use the nickname "JJ."  Seriously -- that's going to lead to a lifetime of eyerolling and explanations from your child.  Your child might only go by "JJ" for a few weeks, months, or years.  But she'll be stuck with a wonky, misspelled name for life.

    If you are dead set on using "JJ," find two names that legitimately start with J.  There are tons of them out there.

    Or, just use a "J" name for the first name, use Geraldine as a mn, and use "JJ" for the nickname anyway.  You don't owe anyone explanations about where nicknames come from.

    Be prepared -- people are going to react very negatively to this idea.


    **STUCK**

    What she said, I won't be able to say it any better
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I would do Georgia Geraldine, nn Gigi. The others just look wrong to me. They sound nice, but I can't get past the spelling just for the sake of JJ as a nickname
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    mb0112nanner26steph30032
  • JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    member
    edited August 2017
    I would do Georgia Geraldine, nn Gigi. The others just look wrong to me. They sound nice, but I can't get past the spelling just for the sake of JJ as a nickname
    Love this idea!  I also agree with all PP about changing a spelling to get a particular nickname.  

    image
     
    image
    steph30032
  • I would do Georgia Geraldine, nn Gigi. The others just look wrong to me. They sound nice, but I can't get past the spelling just for the sake of JJ as a nickname
    Good idea.  I didn't connect that Jorja was supposed to sound like Georgia.  Assumed it was made up or maybe cultural and pronounced with a Y sound for the J's.  

    There are other cute combos that would lead to JJ like 
    Josephine June 
    Josephine Jane

    But if Geraldine has significance to you I'd go with Josephine Geraldine or Georgia Geraldine.  
  • Love the name Josephine, but agree that you shouldn't use Jeraldine with a J as a middle name.

    Really like the suggestion of Georgia Geraldine. 
  • Like a PP said, both names don't have to start with J to use the nickname JJ.

    My niece is Jordanna Marie, and I still call her JJ. 
  • harpseal135harpseal135
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Answers
    member
    edited August 2017
    ktaopi30 said:
    Both legitimate spellings, check google 
    Yea, no meaning behind it, It's a "modern version" of Georgia in which the spelling, it looks silly, IMO.
    MyNamesTakenJMU_Bride09neverblushed
  • I honestly thought Jorja was pronounced similarly to Jorge, like hor-ha. I would stay away from that spelling if you're going for Georgia!

    Pregnancy Ticker
    MyNamesTaken
  • Jorja Jeraldine. The other one sounds like a mouthful (too long).

    Jorja is a real name. My brain immediately went to Jorja Fox (from CSI). You may have to correct people the first time, but it isn't difficult.

    Jerald is a real name. I had a family friend growing up who spelled it that way so I assume Jeraldine is the feminine version. No issues from me for it. 
  • Hdhtk4 said:
    I honestly thought Jorja was pronounced similarly to Jorge, like hor-ha. I would stay away from that spelling if you're going for Georgia!
    Thats how i initially assumed it was pronounced as well.
    image
     
    image
  • Hdhtk4 said:
    I honestly thought Jorja was pronounced similarly to Jorge, like hor-ha. I would stay away from that spelling if you're going for Georgia!
    Thats how i initially assumed it was pronounced as well.
    That's what I would have done as well.  Georgia never occurred to me when I looked at that spelling


  • I'm with pps regarding spelling/misspelling names. I too thought of Jorja Fox, but still prefer the (far more common) Georgia spelling. I like pps suggestion of Georgia Geraldine nn Gigi. Josephine is a gorgeous name, but I'm not a fan of the rhyming Josephine Geraldine. If you're wanting to go with JJ, then I'd suggest:
    Josephine Joy
    Josephine Juliana 
    Josephine Juliet
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Josephine is a great name, I also love the name Jane. I would say call her JJ if you want, keep the actual name spelling accurate though. Otherwise you could tweak your names to have a nickname of GiGi. 
  • ktaopi30 said:
    Both legitimate spellings, check google 
    Yea, no meaning behind it, It's a "modern version" of Georgia in which the spelling, it looks silly, IMO.
    This "modern version" screams Duggar to me. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • ktaopi30 said:
    Both legitimate spellings, check google 

    **GAH**STUCK**

    Come on now.  There's a lot of info on "google" that is incorrect, misleading, illegal, and just plain stupid. Being find-able on google is a low bar to hop over.  Sure, people name their kids all kinds of things that are ill-advised, and these things wind up finding their way to the internet.  The SSA website alone, by its very nature, lists many creative spellings.

    And just because a person with a role on a TV show has the name Jorja doesn't legitimize it in my way of thinking.  I don't give a hoot about whether a famous person's parents chose that name. It's still an intentional misspelling of Georgia, and I would never advise someone to use an intentional misspelling -- and one that people won't know how to pronounce at that -- just to nail down a nickname.

    True story:  My own daughter's initials for her first and middle name are T and J.  My H chose her name, and it took me a while to warm up to it.  One of the things I toyed with was the idea of calling her TJ instead of her first name.  In reality we NEVER ONCE called her TJ, even though I think it's a pretty cute nickname.  It just didn't fit.  She just goes by her first name.  I would advise people to tread very carefully around nicknames and not get too attached to using one.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

    DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • ktaopi30 said:
    Both legitimate spellings, check google 

    **GAH**STUCK**

    Come on now.  There's a lot of info on "google" that is incorrect, misleading, illegal, and just plain stupid. Being find-able on google is a low bar to hop over.  Sure, people name their kids all kinds of things that are ill-advised, and these things wind up finding their way to the internet.  The SSA website alone, by its very nature, lists many creative spellings.

    And just because a person with a role on a TV show has the name Jorja doesn't legitimize it in my way of thinking.  I don't give a hoot about whether a famous person's parents chose that name. It's still an intentional misspelling of Georgia, and I would never advise someone to use an intentional misspelling -- and one that people won't know how to pronounce at that -- just to nail down a nickname.

    True story:  My own daughter's initials for her first and middle name are T and J.  My H chose her name, and it took me a while to warm up to it.  One of the things I toyed with was the idea of calling her TJ instead of her first name.  In reality we NEVER ONCE called her TJ, even though I think it's a pretty cute nickname.  It just didn't fit.  She just goes by her first name.  I would advise people to tread very carefully around nicknames and not get too attached to using one.
    That's so funny, one of my best friends since childhood is a named TJ! I've never met another girl named TJ
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    neverblushed
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards