January 2018 Moms
Options

UO - 08/10

No one else seems to have started it, so I'm jumping in. 

Whipped icing is the superior cake icing. All other frosting is trash.

Re: UO - 08/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @gusgus14 babies are ugly and I feel bad when I think that about other people's kids. I don't think it was my mommy goggles, but I thought my kid was cute. He might not have been. He still looked a little alien when I look at his right after birth photos now that I think about it. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @scatteringashes Blasphemy! Buttercream is the only acceptable frosting choice! Whipped frosting is Satan's creation!

@supercoolstephy I have a few friends with alien babies and they just haven't gotten any cuter. Even mine took a while to grow into his big bald head. 3-6 months was not a good look for him.
  • Options
    @gusgus14 preach. I pray my kid is born fat or with hair because I think that helps, but it's pretty unlikely. I don't love LOs until usually 5-6 months. Hoping the "it's different when it's your own" statement applies for me! Bring on the oxytocin.

My U/O: I think that unless you live in Australia, January is a crappy birthday month. Maybe the crappiest. 

Oh and for a really disastrous one, I think I'm one of the only people in my generation who still likes thank you cards. Do I like writing them? No. Do I like reading them? Only when someone writes something thoughtful. Formulaic crap that I get in the mail two days later makes me enraged. But I am a firm believer in etiquette and I HATE when at parties, someone says, "our gift to the mom to be/bride to be is that she doesn't have to send thank you cards. Everyone agree?". 
  • Options
    @libbberty I'm the crappiest Thank you note writer person. I don't do them. And that's the main reason why I've said I don't want a baby shower at work this time. I feel horrible for not writing them last time, but I suck, and was so effing exhausted, I didn't do them. I did make a point to tell people in person thank you, I felt a little better about that.

January is a crappy birth month, but November has the ugliest birthstone. I'm sorry. DS was born in November, and when they gave me my due date I asked if I could keep him in longer. I'm horrible. But seriously... it's like morning pee color.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KatieElKatieEl member
    edited August 2017
    @libbberty lol definitely applies to both! And I'm team thank you, even my 3 year old knows we have to write them before we play with new toys. I hate that shower tradition almost as much as I hate when they make you address your own envelope, like I drove here, picked out a gift, bought it, wrapped it, and am spending 2-3 hours at your shower. You can spend three minutes thanking me. Sorry not sorry.

ETA I'm a total etiquette stickler though and side-eye a lot. Just too polite to say so out loud lol

Edited: spelling
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    I tell brides or new/soon to be moms that I don't need a thank you note. If I make it to the event and see you open the gift I gave you, chances are you're going to say thanks in person. If I didn't make it or I sent the gift ahead, a thank you is appreciated so I know you actually got the gift. I'm probably in the minority on hating thank you notes though!
  • Options
    KatieEl said:
    @libbberty lol definitely applies to both! And I'm team thank you, even my 3 year old knows we have to write them before we play with new toys. I hate that shower tradition almost as much as I hate when they make you address your own envelope, like I drove here, picked out a gift, bought it, wrapped it, and am spending 2-3 hours at your shower. You can spend three minutes thank omg me. Sorry not sorry.

ETA I'm a total etiquette stickler though and side-eye a lot. Just too polite to say so out loud lol
    Oh it irritates me so much when you have to address your own envelope! And then i get annoyed all over again a few weeks later when I get the card addressed to myself in the mail. lol. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    But seriously... it's like morning pee color.
    I just snorted my enchilada. :D

But yes, I agree. My birthday is in November, and I've always hated topaz. I've cheated by getting "Blue Topaz" jewelry in the past. Not sure if it's the same thing or if it even counts, but it's a much prettier color. 

My UO: Sauerkraut and coconut are the roots of all things culinarily evil.
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I never thought babies were all that cute until I had DS. Now I just want to snuggle all of them! 
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @peepster Team No Coconut or Sauerkraut - uck!! My MIL can eat Sauerkraut by the can and I Just want to vomit.... I don't mind the small of coconut, or the taste in a fruity beverage but other than that its a no from me.
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 I agree! give me all the cute babies!
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @scatteringashes and @missblaze Cake is greatly improved by the removal of frosting. 

UO: movies are boring.
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop YES! I'll go see one every now and then, and there are certainly directors I love. Paul Thomas Anderson, my fav, in fact, is releasing one on Xmas, and I will haul my nearly 9 month pregnant butt in there come hell or high water... BUT so boring--especially to watch at home. I do not get people who can just have movies playing one after the other. FIL and step-MIL are like that and when we go visit it drives me mad! One weekend (we were there for less than 48 hours), he put on: The Martian, The Revenant (which I had already seen and admittedly loved), Sicario (claiming I would love it?), and some weird Western. WTF is that? 4 LONG movies... UGH. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    EagsEags member
    @auntieraindrop we haven't been to the movies in 8 years  B) not because I think they're boring but because we just never go. We even have a $50 gift card that was a gift!
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Options
    @mudge85 @peepster more sauerkraut and coconut for me!
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @gilsam1 - Yeah, I definitely lie  :D I've told a lot of people that they have cute babies but really inside I'm like "Nooooooope." I agree on birth announcements though.
  • Options
    @schaze almond joy's are my favorite candy and I steal them from DS1's halloween haul!  :D
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @schaze yes!!! And I don't find him attractive in the least!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ok so I said I'd share my UO this week. It has to do with that bad spelling thread from a couple weeks ago but I didn't want to keep posting on it.

My UO: hormones definitely affect how we act.

I'm not saying that you cannot control yourself or that hormones should be blamed for someone's bad behavior. What I'm saying is that the heightened level of hormones currently in our bodies can make us cranky, upset, easily annoyed, ect. If this wasn't the case why would we have a thread called "why my pregnant self is crying" or why am I a major B right before my period??
  • Options
    @schaze @maueraa07 OMG yes. I always think, "why don't you just take a shower!?" when I see Matthew McConaughey. The only movie I ever liked him in was How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days but I'm pretty sure it was just because I liked Kate Hudson in that yellow dress so much. Itty bitty titty committee for life (or so I thought before pregnancy).
  • Options
    Lol on the babies! I think all babies are cute, but some are funny looking, usually when a parent has a really prominent grown-up feature and it looks like their face was put right on the baby. I think a lot of movie stars were probably funny looking babies!

My UO is I don't like when people are > 4 months pregnant and don't share it openly at work. So we all know but we can't talk to them about it. I totally get the fear that something could happen, but at this point it's not that people don't know, it's just a known taboo...
  • Options
    I don't believe in spanking either (though I was occasionally growing up) but I'm definitely still working on my Mom Glare. Sometimes DS bursts into tears at the first word louder than normal conversation, but sometimes (like tonight) he might as well be flipping me off with both hands and yelling "la la la I can't hear you" for all the good my yelling does.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    PeepsterPeepster member
    edited August 2017
    UO: movies are boring.

J/K. But this is coming from someone who had a movie-themed wedding. And we have an insane DVD collection. DH and I really connected over our love of movies, among other things, while we were dating. It just surprised me to hear you and @EmilyLove25 say that you're not fans, when I figured everyone liked at least a certain genre.

@Mudge85 @schaze @KatieEl It's the texture of coconut that gets me. I love the flavor, like coconut Jelly Bellys or in a piña colada. But if I bite into shredded coconut, it makes my skin crawl. That crunchiness that gets in between your teeth and lasts for hours... *shudder*

Edit: Apparently I still don't know how to add a gif.
  • Options
    libbberty said:
    @gusgus14 preach. I pray my kid is born fat or with hair because I think that helps, but it's pretty unlikely. I don't love LOs until usually 5-6 months. Hoping the "it's different when it's your own" statement applies for me! Bring on the oxytocin.

My U/O: I think that unless you live in Australia, January is a crappy birthday month. Maybe the crappiest. 

Oh and for a really disastrous one, I think I'm one of the only people in my generation who still likes thank you cards. Do I like writing them? No. Do I like reading them? Only when someone writes something thoughtful. Formulaic crap that I get in the mail two days later makes me enraged. But I am a firm believer in etiquette and I HATE when at parties, someone says, "our gift to the mom to be/bride to be is that she doesn't have to send thank you cards. Everyone agree?". 
    Lurker**** 
    I am in Australia, DS was born in January and I am in February... both are awful months for a birthday. Nobody is having fun when the temperature outside is over 120F and it feels like you're living 3/4 of a mile from the surface of the sun.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    I just have to laugh at allll the UOs!

I had huge cheeks and hair as a newborn. DH was skinny and bald. I'm hoping for slightly less cheeks but keep the hair because baby rolls are the BEST. And make them look less alienish. But DH had an alien look going on for a few months there as a baby. It was kinda bad!

Buttercream rocks. Whipped icing is the devil. My related UO is that Cool Whip is an abomination and should never be referred to as whipped cream, because it isn't. 

Topaz is a terrible birthstone. 

I like coconut! But only real coconut. Not the fake coconut flavor. Same goes for cherry. 

Not getting thank yous bothers me a little for big things like showers and weddings. 

My UO about movies is that I prefer them to shows for kids. I cannot stand kids TV shows except MAYBE Sesame Street. My kids are watching movies like I did growing up. 

• Options
    edited August 2017
    My dad is the worst with babies, he's just like "Yup that sure is a newborn baby."
    My dad says "What a baby!" /facepalm

@Peepster I think the feature film is the exact wrong length to tell a story, honestly. It's too long for a simple story (hello episodic tv!) and it's too short for a long story (hello miniseries or long bingeable story arcs on TV!). It's like exactly the right length to lose my attention completely. But that's me! 
  • Options
    @ryannenikole kids shows are the worst, my kids watch Sesame Street and that's it, otherwise it's all movies in my house!
    Baby #4 on the way!