Infertility

Laparoscopy for endo recovery time?

Hi everyone,

A newbie here. I am considering doing a laparoscopy procedure to address my endo in order to increase my chances of fertility. Has anyone gone through this procedure who can tell me what kind of downtime to expect?

I work a full-time job and would rather be able to work soon after the procedure. How many days recovery does this normally take? How many cycles do I have to wait before trying to conceive again?

Thanks in advance!

--

ME(41.5) ENDO; DH(42) fine; DS(6) born 01/11 natural pg; TTC#2: since 10/14

IUI#1-6: all BFNs

IVF#1 05/16  7 ret, 3 fert, 0 gen normal

Re: Laparoscopy for endo recovery time?

• ReesaAnne16ReesaAnne16 member
    edited August 2017
    I'm sure the recovery time depends a lot on how much endometrosis they find that needs to be removed.

In my case, I only had 3 tiny spots that were removed, so recovery was mostly related to the anesthesia and the 3 small, abdominal incisions.

I had surgery on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. The day I had surgery, I was very groggy and had a sore throat most of the day from the tracheal tube. The next day, I was tired and a little sore. The 3rd day I felt fine mostly, and probably could have went back to work. There are restrictions for lifting post surgery, that prevented me from doing some tasks at my job for another week, but I felt fine.
    I hope this helps!

We had no restrictions on TTC post surgery, but I didn't feel up for BD'ing for a few days, since I was sore. 

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Thanks for the info. When you say restrictions on lifting, what kind of weight are you talking about?  Can I lift something light, like a laptop? Is it that they don't want you to strain and tear the stitches?
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't remember the exact weight limit, but I would think lifting a laptop is fine. Its to prevent the sutures from tearing. At my job, I had to have other people help lift large dogs for a week or so. 

TTC #1 since June 2015 
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• I had a laparoscopy back in March and recovery took several days. My incision wasn't the problem but I had a lot of gas pains from the surgery that were trapped under my ribs are quite painful. I don't know if my dr injected too much gas or what but I was pretty miserable for several days. I would've been able to work from home but it took about a week to feel 100%. I had no idea that was even a thing so just wanted to give you a heads up. I was prepping for IVF so I waited until I got my period and then started stims. I'm not sure what the dr would've recommended if we were trying naturally. 
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Yes, gas pain can be really awful. Luckily mine was pretty minimal, and the pain meds they gave me took care of it. It's like a shoulder and neck pain, it's weird. 

TTC #1 since June 2015 

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN

• I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. As previously mentioned, be prepared for gas pain. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• I had this surgery on a Wednesday and was back to work on Friday morning, although moving slowly.  The worst part is the bloating after.  I was told to sleep in a somewhat sitting up position and that helped keep the gas from spreading to my shoulders and causing pain there, as others have mentioned.
  • Hi Flowerfrau. I had a lap for fibroids, scar tissue and adenomyosis on April 10 and the doctor's office told me I would need one week off from work. I didn't feel "okay" until about three days after the procedure. I also had a very unexpected allergic reaction to the surgical tape they put over the incisions so I ended up being kind of grateful I didn't go back to work right away. I used vacation time, so everyone literally thought I had been on vacation :) I would recommend arranging for a week off. If you take the opioid painkillers they prescribe, you can't drive anyway. And believe me, you'll want to sleep a lot at least the first couple of days. They told me I would need 3 months to heal before we looked at doing a transfer, but I have also heard ladies say they were told 6 months. It sucks but you want to be fully healed and for your cycles to be back to normal (I didn't get a period until June). Hope this helps!
  • Hi there, my endo was advanced and the ovarian cysts broke during the procedure and I had to be aspirated, etc. Recovery was about a week for me, to get rid of the pain, bloating, etc. No sex/TTC for about 2-3 months. 
  • Hello. I just had surgery last month.  Surgery was on a Monday.  Went back to work on Thursday.  Severe Endo. I do have a desk job, and wasn't able to lift anything heavy for about 2 weeks, but I was bored out of my mind after 3 days in bed,  so decided sitting at a desk in front of a computer wouldn't kill me. The worst part was actually driving.  The seatbelt bugged,  and you don't realize how much abs you actually use every time you turn or change speed until after this surgery! Lol.  Dr. Kept me on aygestin for 2 weeks following the surgery but then said we could try right away.  We are planning IVF in November,  but get a couple natural cycles to try on our own before then.  Cycle 1 was a bfn, but after almost 3 months on aygestin, I think my body was a little out of whack. Ovulated on day 9, normally day 14. Best of luck. The first day or 2 following surgery weren't fun,  but overall I would say it was less painful than I thought it would be.
    -Steph

Me:28-Severe Endometriosis  DH:30 -Excellent

Spring 2008-Started TTC
    Fall 2011"Unexplained Infertiltiy"-3 IUI's with Clomid-All BFN
    Spring 2013-Divorce
    Feb 2017-RE Consult "unexplained Infertiltiy"
    Mar, Apr, May 2017-Letrozole/Ovidrel/IUI-BFN's
    July 2017-Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy-"Severe Endometriosis with Bowel Lesion not removed"
    November 2017-IVF-14-Retrieved, 7 Mature, 6 Fertilized(ICSI) 0 embryos. Fertilized did not divide.
    New d(x)-Egg problem