June 2016 Moms
Options

When do you plan on switching to toddler bed ?

edited August 2017 in June 2016 Moms
We are pregnant with number 2 and I'm trying to figure out if DD will be ready for a toddler bed when the baby comes or if we will need two cribs. She will be 20 months. Thoughts on when you will switch? 
Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

When do you plan on switching to toddler bed ? 16 votes

18 months or less
12% 2 votes
2 years old
75% 12 votes
3 years old
12% 2 votes
3+
0% 0 votes

Re: When do you plan on switching to toddler bed ?

• Options
    I'm planning on holding off until Jackie starts trying to climb out. She hasn't thought of it yet but because she loves climbing I wouldn't be surprised if it was sooner than later.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    When they can climb out, and then we put a baby gate at the door. My twins were 22 months when they started climbing out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Miles hates his crib. He won't even play in it anymore in the evening while I try to clean up before bed. It converts to a toddler bed, so if he's still hating on it come the new year, I might try to switch him early and see if the lack of bars makes him feel less… I don't know, isolated maybe.

In your case, did Alyssa sleep in the crib much in the first few months? If you plan on keeping baby 2 on a different sleeping surface for awhile, you might be able to time it right to avoid the crib, even being under 2 when baby comes
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    We had her sleep in her pack and play bassinet then when she passed the weight limit I just transitioned her to her crib in our room when she was about 4 months. I just this week finally moved her to her own room. It was harder on me then her she didn't even notice the move lol. Thinking around 2 she will be ready for a toddler bed so maybe if the baby can stay in his or her pack and play till then we won't need another crib. How much are toddler beds compared to cribs? Our crib does convert to a toddler bed. I just assumed it would be cheaper to buy a toddler bed then a crib but maybe I should just get another convertible crib. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    Our crib transitions to a toddler bed, which is nice since it keeps a sense of familiarity for Damien. I think like most of the Moms here, we'll wait to transition once he becomes a climber. 
  • Options
    Since we have #2 on the way as well, I have come up with this plan... If we have another boy, I will just purchase a basic crib and when the two boys are old enough, 3-ish I will get bunk beds for them to share a room.  If it is a girl, we will just purchase a whole nother nursery set with a fully convertible crib, dresser, etc.  And each will have their own room. Either way I will most likely convert Tristan to a toddler bed around two. I would like to see him move around less at night before I do that though.  

I am having the hardest time waiting to find out the new baby's sex... Literally killing me!  Lol
  • Options
    Not planning on transitioning Savannah until it becomes obvious that it's time- i line knowing she can't get out of her crib and she seems to like it
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Until he either climbs out or starting showing signs of understanding invisible boundaries which both tend to be around 2
  • Options
    I voted two, but like most have said it'll be when he's showing signs that he's ready. He moves around so much throughout the night right now. 
  • Options
    newbabymakes4newbabymakes4 member
    edited August 2017
    I voted two but we did it a bit earlier with DS because I was pregnant with LO. We ended up transferring him to a twin bed when he was 20-21 months. It actually was a lot more stressful thinking about it than doing it, he transitioned perfectly fine. We custom built our railing so it's a bit longer than the ones you buy in the store, and he only fell out once (the first night, and he only cried because I went running in and startled him, he was totally fine).  

We moved DS into a new room and kept the nursery essentially the same for the new baby (repainted and got a couple new accent pieces). If you go that route, I would say that having her help move into her new room can be helpful, we had DS carry some of his toys and books in and put them on the shelves.

What part of Jersey are you from? I'm also a NJ mama (Essex county).
  • Options
    I voted two but we did it a bit earlier with DS because I was pregnant with LO. We ended up transferring him to a twin bed when he was 20-21 months. It actually was a lot more stressful thinking about it than doing it, he transitioned perfectly fine. We custom built our railing so it's a bit longer than the ones you buy in the store, and he only fell out once (the first night, and he only cried because I went running in and startled him, he was totally fine).  

We moved DS into a new room and kept the nursery essentially the same for the new baby (repainted and got a couple new accent pieces). If you go that route, I would say that having her help move into her new room can be helpful, we had DS carry some of his toys and books in and put them on the shelves.

What part of Jersey are you from? I'm also a NJ mama (Essex county).
    Jersey mama here too! I grew up in Montclair but now we're in Morris County :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    @newbabymakes4 I'm from Monmouth county! I grew up in Jersey but now live in NC with my hubby he is military... we transitioned DD to her own room last week and she wasn't even phased by it plus she's been sleeping a extra hour. I think because my hubby waking up and getting ready for work at 5/5:30 doesn't disturb her she's been sleeping till 7. That and me getting up to use the bathroom 4 times a night also doesn't disturb her lol. Still in her crib it transitions to a toddler bed so I think we will do that when we think she's ready that way she's still in something somewhat familiar . And we will just buy another crib for this baby. Probably one similar that transitions to toddler bed. Her crib is supposed to also transition to a full size bed too but I think I have to buy an extra piece.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    At age 2
  • Options
    With DD2 on the way, we ended up buying the same exact crib got her that we have for DD1, along with 2 toddler rails. DD1 has never tried to climb out of her crib so far, so we will keep her in the crib until closer to two, or even later. Especially since the girls will be sharing a room until we figure out what we want to do as far as moving or adding on to this house (1300sq.ft. isn't big enough for us). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @splsmama2016 We have also thought about having new baby share with DD depending on the gender we don't know it yet. But we do have a 3rd bedroom that right now is our guest room but if we have a boy we will most likely make it into his bedroom and not have a guest room. I'm torn if they should share a room and we should keep our guest room or not. We really don't have guests very often so right now I'm leaning towards getting rid of the guest room and making it into a nursery. Ive thought about putting a pull out couch in one of there rooms or getting a fold up cot or something but their rooms really aren't very big. definitely wishing we bought a 4 bedroom.  :/
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    When/if we have a second kid, that kid will absolutely share a bedroom with Miles, at least for a couple of years. I don't care if it's a girl or another boy, they will be in there together until closer to the time when Miles is going to school, if they separate then. We have a three bedroom house with very little (none, since we moved in almost 2 years ago) sleepover company, so we could move him right away, but I think having a sibling in the same room as him can teach both of them a lot. Miles is a terrible sleeper right now, so I'm hoping being able to see someone else there will help him calm down. Also, sharing with a sibling on any level teaches patience, respect, compromise, etc etc. Those exact concepts can't be communicated very well to a two year old, but the tangible aspect of a sibling and their things in the same space as you makes it a lot more real.

Of course, it also makes many aspects of life much harder when tantrums over space and property become a terrible reality. There are benefits to giving your kids their own space, but personally I think I'll save that for later on.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    We are planning on converting her crib to a toddler bed next summer which is when I'm hoping to get pregnant. We have a spare full bed she will get when the baby gets her crib so we want her to have a full year of a bed with an opening before she moves to the big bed with a removable rail. She loves her crib and has been in her own room since 4 months when she started sleeping thru the night. The new baby will use the rock and play sleeper in our room for probably the same amount of time which will give her an overlap for a few months to get ready for getting a new room and bed.
  • Options
    With my oldest we switched a little before 2 1/2 when I was pregnant. 

Elise was trying to climb, and since I was pregnant again anyway and we needed to move her into ds's room, we switched her early, around 18 months. She has always been super physical though and she did fine with it.

for Nadia I think I'll wait till she's trying to climb out, or closer to 2 1/2 - 3. Then I'll be able to get rid of the crib! Crazy...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my oldest we switched a little before 2 1/2 when I was pregnant. 

Elise was trying to climb, and since I was pregnant again anyway and we needed to move her into ds's room, we switched her early, around 18 months. She has always been super physical though and she did fine with it.

for Nadia I think I'll wait till she's trying to climb out, or closer to 2 1/2 - 3. Then I'll be able to get rid of the crib! Crazy...
    I just sold one of our cribs at a garage sale, that was so exciting! I can't wait to be able to get all the baby stuff outta here. I'm taking a couple of swings etc over to my friend's this weekend. I love being able to try to declutter a bit.
  • Options
    @splsmama2016 We have also thought about having new baby share with DD depending on the gender we don't know it yet. But we do have a 3rd bedroom that right now is our guest room but if we have a boy we will most likely make it into his bedroom and not have a guest room. I'm torn if they should share a room and we should keep our guest room or not. We really don't have guests very often so right now I'm leaning towards getting rid of the guest room and making it into a nursery. Ive thought about putting a pull out couch in one of there rooms or getting a fold up cot or something but their rooms really aren't very big. definitely wishing we bought a 4 bedroom.  :/
    We have a 3 bedroom, but my IL's are here ALL. THE. TIME. so we can't turn the 3rd room into another room for DD2. We probably won't even really dive into the possibility of a bigger house until next year (which sucks to an extent, but understandable), and even then, we probably won't have much more LIVING space, aside from a 4th bedroom. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wish we could put LO in a toddler bed ASAP. #2 is due in Jan but needing the crib isn't the problem, because LO refuses to sleep anywhere but our bed. (I know, stupid parents, shoulda woulda coulda, I blame it on having her in the bassinet too long bc we didn't have a house yet to fit a crib, and then BFing while going back to work means frequent night wakings + exhaustion = falling asleep in bed with LO on my boob.)

Anyway, at this point I feel like there's no chance of her going to the crib with its stiff mattress and bars, but I might be able to get her to sleep in a toddler bed. I seriously would sleep on an air mattress next to her to help transition if I thought it would work, pregnant and all.

But it sounds like it's too soon for that, and if I wait until 18 months then it will coincide with #2's arrival, which will be disastrous. So are we stuck sharing a bed with LO when #2 arrives? Friends in my situation ended up having to have dad sleep with #1 while mom took care of #2. What a mess...
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
    I wish we could put LO in a toddler bed ASAP. #2 is due in Jan but needing the crib isn't the problem, because LO refuses to sleep anywhere but our bed. (I know, stupid parents, shoulda woulda coulda, I blame it on having her in the bassinet too long bc we didn't have a house yet to fit a crib, and then BFing while going back to work means frequent night wakings + exhaustion = falling asleep in bed with LO on my boob.)

Anyway, at this point I feel like there's no chance of her going to the crib with its stiff mattress and bars, but I might be able to get her to sleep in a toddler bed. I seriously would sleep on an air mattress next to her to help transition if I thought it would work, pregnant and all.

But it sounds like it's too soon for that, and if I wait until 18 months then it will coincide with #2's arrival, which will be disastrous. So are we stuck sharing a bed with LO when #2 arrives? Friends in my situation ended up having to have dad sleep with #1 while mom took care of #2. What a mess...
    There's no one right answer, but I would just switch LO to a crib now. It will be a really hard first week or two, but they can usually adjust to anything if you are consistent and want it to work. If it's important to you, is go for it. My kids sleeping in their own beds has always been my mental life saver, so I deal with the bad week or two, and it gets so much better after that. 
    But you have to do what works for you 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Lizbeth86 try looking into the Montessori style floor bed. It doesn't look as nice as a toddler bed, but I've heard of people switching to that as young as 12months.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:

There's no one right answer, but I would just switch LO to a crib now. It will be a really hard first week or two, but they can usually adjust to anything if you are consistent and want it to work. If it's important to you, is go for it. My kids sleeping in their own beds has always been my mental life saver, so I deal with the bad week or two, and it gets so much better after that. 
    But you have to do what works for you 
    This is what we've done too. It works, just takes a bit of time.