Baby Names

boy names... HELP!

My husband and I are adopting and we have been matched with a 4 month old little boy. His birth name is an anime character name, we cannot pronounce and feel we wouldn't want to give him a new name- not only because we can't pronounce the name but we want him to represent the environment we will raise him in. Is it insensitive to give him a new name? If not- we have 5 names we cannot choose from, so asking out the group:

Brooks Richard H
Leo Richard H
Vaughn Richard H
Wyatt Richard H
Know Richard H

Re: boy names... HELP!

• I know many people who have changed the first name and some have moved the birth name to the middle spot. 

Is Know a typo? Not a fan of that. 

Vaughn is my favorite with Leo a close second. I'm a little tired of Wyatt and Brooks both are super trendy in my area

• Sorry - it's not Know, but Knox
  • Loading the player...
  • Leo is the only oe i like
  • I like Leo and like the idea of putting his birth name in the middle.
  • I prefer Leo. Brooks and Wyatt I like too. Vaughn is NMS. Knox is one of those names that will be really dated in a couple of years.

I like pps suggestion of using his birth name as the middle name.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think it's ok to put birth name as middle.

I like Vaughn and Leo
    Wyatt is also nice but seems to be everywhere 
    Brooks is ok 
    I really dislike Knox 
  • I like Vaughn, Leo and Wyatt. I don't care for Brooks and really dislike Knox ( and as an anime fan, Knox is a name I wouldn't be surprised to see in a shonen action series)

I think keeping his birth name as his middle is a nice. With the caveat of if it's an "anime name" like Vegeta or Speedwagon, maybe not. 
  • I love Vaughn. I've never really seen it as a first name. Or anywhere besides Vince Vaughn. But it's so unique. I also love Wyatt but as PP have said, it's a super common name right now. I also like the idea of moving the birth name to his middle name. 

Anothwr suggestion would be to just wait till you see him. He's already a few months old now. You can see which of these names matches his personality and look. 
  • Wyatt! 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Vaughn!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I agree you might want to hang on to them all until you meet him if that's an option. Vaughn is my favorite out of the group. 
  • I don't think that it would be insensitive.  By adopting, you are taking this little boy into your home and making him a part of your family.  I don't see what could be wrong with giving him a name of your choosing.

Leo and Wyatt are my favorites from your list.

• LOVE Brooks

Wyatt would be my second choice
  • I know several adopted children in my extended family and all were given completely new names. If you already liked the name I could see keeping it but you don't.  Even the older adopted children in my family have new names and were excited to start a new life with a new name. I say go for it!

• Siggy Warning: Loss, Living Child, Pregnancy mentioned
    • TTC Since August 2009
    • IUI #1, D/C December 2012
    • IUI #2, Natural MC March 2013
    • IUI #3 BFN
    • IUI #4 BFP Due April 2014
    • Rainbow Baby DS1 born April 2014 via emergency C-Section
    • IUI #5 February 1, 2017.....BFP due 10/25/17 with TWINS! --9w5d vanishing twin. 
    • Diagnosis: PCOS, Factor V Leiden Syndrome

• neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited August 2017
    I think it's fair to give your son a new name.  

My godson was adopted from South Korea, and his parents gave him an American name when he arrived here as a 6 month old.  They keep a lot of Korean traditions in their home, but they are American and wanted him to have an American name.

I like Leo, Brooks, and Vaughn, in that order.  Knox and Wyatt both seem like they're names of kids whose parents were trying too hard.  

Walker instead?  When I had my daughter, the woman I shared a hospital room with was there after having her 4th baby.  He was named Walker, and I always thought it was a nice choice.  I often wonder where that family is and what Walker, now almost 17, is doing now.  His siblings would be in college or beyond!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade