October 2017 Moms

Baby positioning

I found out today at my ultrasound (checking on my low-lying posterior placenta) that my baby is sitting in a transverse position. Baby's head is on my right side, bottom on my left, and is facing my back. You can imagine the ultrasound photos we took home basically showed nothing lol. 

We don't get any more information from the ultrasound tech so I have to wait until my next appointment with my midwife to discuss it, but I have been on the spinning babies website all day and have been doing inversions to try to move baby head down. I'm 29w2days. 

I also regularly see a chriopractor actor and am going to schedule an appointment with a pelvic floor physiotherapist. I think the low lying placenta may be taking up the headspace in my uterus. I find out about positioning of the placenta at my next appointment as well. 

Has anyone else found out that their baby is transverse or breech? What are you doing to remedy it, if anything?

Re: Baby positioning

• @itsamurphything You have plenty of time. :)  At 29 weeks there is still a lot of room in your belly. The lady at the hospital told me most babies turn between 32-36 weeks. I'm 32 weeks and baby is breech. My doctor wasn't concerned about it and said not to worry until closer to 36 weeks. Don't stress it!  :) I know easier said than done! I would do the tips on the spinning babies website if it makes you feel better, but don't let it stress you out because there is still plenty of time for baby to flip. Good luck mama!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I went in last week and found that my baby was frank breech, which means she's in the upright position, head in my ribs, butt in my pelvis and her feet up by her head. They told me at 30 weeks she had about 5 weeks to turn on her own before running out of room. They were not concerned at all. Doctors can do maneuvers to attempt to get them to turn. I've also been on spinning babies and I'm going to try some of the methods if she is still breeched at my next ultrasound tomorrow. 

Worst case, I have a c-section and I am perfectly okay with that so long as baby girl is healthy.
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby is transverse also. Head on right and feet on left/upwards. I'm not worried at all, baby has a lot of time to flip. My first daughter was transverse also until about 35 weeks.
  • I found out yesterday that baby is breech at 34 weeks.  I am doing spinning babies and going to see a chiropractor today.  I am also looking into acupuncture.  Another one I read was to put cold packs by the baby's head and a heating pad down low to get them to move towards the heat/away from the cold. I basically have 2 weeks to get the baby to turn.  They said at 37 weeks I could be referred to a perinatoligist for an ECV which I am not sure I want to try it.  Fingers crossed that all of our babies make it head down!
  • I'm going to start doing the Miles circuit in a couple of weeks to help ensure the baby is in good positioning, with Spinning babies as a backup for more ideas.

https://www.milescircuit.com/the-circuit.html

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks for the tip mama! Im definitely trying this starting 38-39w if baby isnt there yet (thankfully hes been head down until now) ❤️ 
    @melarowan
  • My kiddo is currently diagonal (head in left ribs, feet in right hip). I'm 33 weeks and they said they'll give it another 2-3 weeks to flip downward. If it hasn't gone head down by 36 weeks, they said they'll either schedule a c-section or I can try an external cephalic version - but it only has a 50/50 chance of working and some people I've talked to said it can be pretty painful. Hoping the diagonal angle means it's tryingggggg to work it's way down.

Either way, they told me that by 36-37 weeks, there's not much room left for the baby to maneuver down on it's own. So if you're going to try any of the spinning baby techniques, I think I might start now. If you wait too late, apparently there's not enough room left in the womb to flip. (According to the nurse I saw, at least)
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Spinning babies is an excellent resource.  If you're not already, using their daily activities can help make the right amount of space (helped with all 3 of mine so far 2 transverse, 1 breech) ).  One caveat is not to do squats if your baby is breech as that can wedge their bottom in more.  My guy was breech and I did inversions and the thing where you lay upside down on an ironing board (in addition to the daily stuff which I do most days), and he flipped within a few days.

I also used some of their labor techniques when my 2nd was asynclitic (head tipped to the side) and it definitely helped jiggle her head into place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just wanted to check back in and say that my baby went head down!  So it was either a fluke or something I did helped.