December 2017 Moms

Genetics calculator for eye color etc

A conversation with my dad reminded me that because of DH's dad's coloring I should not assume my baby will have DH's lovely brown hair and brown eyes.  I found a fun online calculator and thought I'd pass it along...

https://dna.frieger.com/calc-quick.php

Re: Genetics calculator for eye color etc

• DH and I both have green eyes so I looked over the weekend to see the chances of green eyes and it was 99%. When I saw this I was like, "Well, maybe that changes it?" Nope, 100%. Not that I mind!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • DH has brown eyes and I have blue... Our 2yr old son has blue, I presumed he would go brown. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Boo! Mine said there wasn't a model to represent.  We are all either blue or brown. DD has brown eyes but I'd love to get a blue eyed girl like me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have brown, DH has hazel (green brownish), and we both have dark brown hair. DS1 is blond hair blue eyes lol. DS2 has brown and brown. Funny how two kids with the same set of parents are so different. I'm so curious what this little girl will look like.
  • well, this says our kids are 100% destined for brown hair...boo. I was blonde as a kid and DH has black hair. DD is a brunette, so I figured our chances of a blonde kid were unlikely, but I was hoping there was a chance for black hair for the new LO. We'll see if it is right! It says eye color chances are 50/50 blue and green. DD has an outer ring of dark blue and an inner ring of green/hazel, so I guess that's about 50/50 in one kid!

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • DH and I both have brown hair and brown eyes and DS has bright blue eyes and very blonde hair!
  • This is really cool! There's no option for hazel, though...I used Green in place of hazel. Either way, my children have eye colors they really shouldn't  :D Grandfather 1 has hazel, GM 1 has brown, F has brown. GF2 has blue, GM2 has Hazel, M has blue. My kids have blue and olive green (which you can call Hazel if you like...but they don't change.) here's a pic of percentages: 
  • And if I change the hazels to brown, there's even less chance my kids should have the eyes they do 
  • There's only a 34% chance my blondies have blonde hair, too, lol.
  • @anewadventure, my son looks just like my husband, but he has blond hair and light eyes. My daughter looks nothing like him, also blonde hair and blue eyes. DH is crossing his fingers for a brunette this time, lol! (DH has dark brown hair and dark brown eyes)
  • I think genetics are really cool.  My niece & nephew on my husband's brother's side don't even look like siblings. (they're 1/4 Chinese and the big sister got the half-asian looks while little brother is light-blond and green eyed).  Our kid will probably be green eyed and on the dark blond spectrum but I'm hoping for some variety/surprises. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is funny. It says baby has 95% chance of having brown eyes and our DS is almost 2 and his eyes are still as blue as ever. It also said they only have 6% chance of having blonde hair. Again, his hair is blonde as ever lol. 
  • @kyrwyn I have cousins who are sisters and they also look nothing alike. The older sister looks just like her mom (dark skin, brown hair & eyes, short and curvy) and the younger sister looks just like her dad (pale skin, blonde, blue eyes, tall and lanky). Genetics really are fascinating.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• My eyes aren't on the chart and I'm wondering the odds of my kiddo getting my eyes. I have central heterochormia. It's a genetic mutation. Basically it's the same as  people who have two different colored eyes... but instead I have rings of different colors in my eyes. Blue outer rings, then green, then brown. My siblings have the same mutation but with different colors. I might have to research the odds....
  • For those who have this- or are interested I found the odds for passing on heterochromia:

Genetic heterochromia is an autosomal dominant condition. This means the genetic abnormality must be dominant in just one parent to pass the condition on to a child. Each child of a parent with the dominant trait for heterochromia has a 50% chance of developing the condition. Children who inherit the condition have a 50% chance of passing heterochromia on to their offspring. Children who do not inherit the condition have no chance of passing along heterochromia. 
  • @balletnerd That's so interesting! 
  • @balletnerd thanks for sharing! DH has green eyes with a very thin ring of blue on the outside--you wouldn't even notice it if you weren't looking closely. DD has more like 50% blue ring on the outside, 50% green/hazel on the inside (but it kind of depends on the light and how dilated her pupils are as to how much of each ring you see). I find them so hard to describe and haven't seen anyone else with eyes quite like hers. So interesting this kid has a 50/50 shot of the same!

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @balletnerd That's so cool!  My mom has really striking eyes: olive green rings, grey-green fields and a bright yellow starburst right around her pupils.  My eyes aren't as defined, but they have a lot of variability and seem to change with the lighting or surrounding colors (blue/grey/green hazel with flecks of brown showing up as I get older).  My brother's are straight green and don't shift at all.  I'm hopeful that this is similar enough to your genetic trait that I can hope for cool coloring/variability in LO's eyes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Me & DH have green eyes & our daughter has the bluest eyes possible 
  • DH and I have brown eyes/brown eyes. His dad has blue eyes/blonde hair but all other parents have brown/brown. DS1 has brown eyes/brown hair and DS2 has blue eyes/blonde hair.Our odds of having blue eyes was sooooo low and it happened! Genetics are pretty neat. So curious what #3 will look like. I also looked up blood types since I'm the only negative in our family... no one can give me blood!
  • My eyes are mostly blue but they have spots of a light olive green that I've just recently noticed. I wonder if this is also heterochromia? Although I'm not sure if it's always been or if they're turning...
  • NME44NME44 member
    edited August 2017
    Excuse my flakey eye makeup...

I managed to put the pic in a spoiler box Bc it's huge and not everyone may want to see an eye up close.

Edited misspelling 

• @NME44 Here is my eyeball for comparison. It's a bit blurry zoomed in but you can see the variations in color  dark blue ring outside, green inside, and then hard to see in this shot but brown starburst around pupal. 

Its a fairly rare mutation. I would guess that yours would be more classified as hazel. Many "normal" eye colors have flecks of other shades. But I'm no expert haha
  • @balletnerd I feel like that picture of your eye makes you look exactly like Nicole Kidman. Am I the only one who sees that? Haha.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • I saw it too.
  • Haha thanks @MJDsquared @NME44 ! I wish all of me looked like her! Haha
  • I'd love to try it, but my results won't load.  I've tried on multiple devices. Any one have any tips & tricks?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Managed to make it work! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers