February 2018 Moms

Meal Plan Monday

What's everyone making this week?  What are your favorite summer dishes to cook? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Meal Plan Monday

• This was the first weekend I have been feeling well enough to even think about a weekly menu and actually have enough energy to grocery shop! Now I just have to cook... Sun: Orange chicken, fried rice and potstickers (quick and delish!) Mon: Spinach/Ricotta Lasagna roll ups & garlic bread Tues: Taco tues Weds: Leftovers! Thurs: Margherita pizza flat bread Fri: Chicken Picatta, rice & green beans Sat: Broccoli Stuffed Chicken.

The basil in our garden is taking over so I'm trying to use as much as possible as quickly as possible. We typically eat out or get take out once a week and grill one weekend day. Breakfasts usually consist of cereal, fruit, pancakes/waffles and eggs. Lunches are usually sandwiches, Mac, nuggets or leftovers. Snacks are fruit, cereal bars, nuts, cheese, crackers, yogurt... in my household we're definitely creatures of habit. Currently trying to get out of the habit of making separate meals for DS, it's hard getting him to eat what we're eating so that's definitely the current challenge!
  • @snoelle417 same, I am really excited to get back in the kitchen! Do you ever make pesto from your basil? You can freeze it! 

Last night I made black bean and corn nachos. Tonight is chicken thighs with corn on the cob and salad. Tomorrow skirt steak with chimichurri, Wed will likely be take out as we both will work late and then leaving for vacation Thurs, visiting our friends farm so cooking with whatever is abundant there!

I love making pastas with farmers market veggies (whatever looks good that week) or turning them into homemade pizzas or nachos. I tend to lose my creativity in the summer so mixing veggies with some kind of cheese and some kind of grain/carb is my go to. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Tonight: Taco Soup--I know it's summer--but I am craving it.
    Tuesday: Mini Chicken Pot Pies
    Wed: Maple Baked Pork Chops
    Thurs: Burgers and Fries (more likely veggie tots)
    Fri: Maybe go out? Maybe grill?
  • clc515clc515 member
    DH is away for the week so I can eat/cook whatever I want!!! Too bad I still don't have much of an appetite (come on, MS, go away!) All these meals you're posting intellectually sound SO good, but my tummy is still not cooperating. On a regular basis throughout this pregnancy, though, I eat bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon, nuts, apple juice or sauce, cereal and bagels.

But normally in summer I like chicken picatta, pastas with fresh pesto or just olive oil salt and pepper, lots of farmers market corn and/or squash, chicken quesadillas, grilled chicken and burgers. 
  • edited July 2017
    @MrsJ2410 Honestly, that hadn't occurred to me and now that I am feeling a bit better I think I will definitely try that- loooove pesto! Yes, I think we're going to have no choice other than to freeze, so happy we don't have to buy overpriced wilted basil from the store anymore! 

Favorite summer meal and really top 5 in general is Summertime Speghetti. I believe it's originally a Pampered Chef recipe, but I put my own spin on it. Basically, its veggie pasta with chicken, broccoli and grape tomatoes in a yummy chicken broth, lemon juice, Parmesan and parsley "sauce". It's a one pot meal, we use the PC deep covered baker, so it just cooks in it and own juice and is deeeeelish! Perfect meal to throw in whatever veggies you like and is super colorfulful, flavorful and did I say delicious? If anyone wants the recipe let me know and I'll take the time to jot it down and post it!
  • @snoelle417 that sounds wonderful and I am all about a one pot meal!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd like the recipe! Sounds kid friendly
  • @jessilee15 Here ya go! Jut substitute however you like :) 

SUMMERTIME SPAGHETTI 

Ingredients

2   lemons

12 oz (350 g) uncooked thin spaghetti noodles

2 cans (14.5 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 3½ cups/875 mL)

1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes

3   garlic cloves, peeled

1 oz (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh parsley

3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil

1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper

2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken breasts

1 cup (250 mL) small broccoli florets

Directions

Zest lemons using Microplane® Zester to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL); set aside. Juice lemons using Juicer to measure ¼ cup (50 mL). Break noodles in half. Combine noodles, broth and lemon juice in Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 11-13 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed stirring once halfway through cooking using Chef’s Tongs. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise using Color Coated Tomato Knife. Grate Parmesan using Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater.  

Process garlic, Parmesan, parsley, zest, oil and pepper in Manual Food Processor until parsley is finely chopped. Carefully remove baker from microwave using Microwave Grips. Add Parmesan mixture to baker; mix well using Chef’s Tongs. Stir in tomatoes, chicken and broccoli. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.   

Yield: 6 servings 

Nutrients per servingCalories 390, Total Fat 11g, Saturated Fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 440 mg, Carbohydrate 46g, Fiber 3g, Protein 26g

• @snoelle417 thanks for sharing!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really need to do this next week. 

Tagger is broken but taco soup soup sounds DELICIOUS. We had pork steak, green beans, and corn tonight. All from the farm. 

Tomorrow im not sure and the rest of the week we'll be away for the wedding. 
  • Not a meal plan but I've had starbucks double smoked bacon egg and cheddar sandwich like 4 times in the last 5 days. Apparently its my craving. 
  • I've been making a lot of pastas, because duh, carbs! Monday was spaghetti, and last night I made my own pesto sauce, then added pasta, arugula, chicken, and diced tomatoes. 

I've been craving Mexican, so maybe tacos and quesadillas next week!
  • @jennifer_m21 I have been craving Mexican too! Unfortunately I haven't been able to indulge because my stomach has been so irritated and I have been having a lot of indigestion. Triggers for these things seem to be tomatoes, onion, spicy. So I haven't been able to have pizza, Italian, or mexican even though it sounds so good!
    Anyone have any recipes for Italian or Mexican that does not involve any tomatoes or onions (and isn't too heavily spiced) to get me by??