September 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Questions, tips, support and sharing your experiences are all welcome. 

Ground rules: No shaming anyone about breastfeeding and no formula shaming. You can share frustration about your personal exp, without bashing how anyone feeds their own baby.

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• I have a little odd and personal question for moms who have breastfed. I already spoke with my OB about it, but I'm curious if anyone else has/is experiencing this.

I was bf my toddler until end of 1st trimester, when he weaned. In 2nd trimester, my nipples became a dry peeling mess. My OB said this happens when you wean, but it hasn't stopped. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lilpoots I did not have that experience (we weaned around 17 months during the 1st trimester). But I also never experience engorgement or leakage so maybe I'm just weird. I wonder if it's maybe a combination of weaning and pregnancy hormones? I know my skin in general is really dry during pregnancy so maybe it's just all compounding on itself?

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @lilpoots I did not have this experience, but I weaned super slow. Like, I can't remember exactly when, but probably around a year we cut to morning and night only feedings, at a 1.5 years we went down to morning only, and at 2 we stopped. So, perhaps because it was so gradual, it didn't really have any effect other than my tits slowly deflating as we cut down.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • FTM ive been reading the womanly art of breastfeeding and I went to a breastfeeding class but does anyone have any other suggestions to prepare? I don't really know anyone who's been successful so I'm really nervous.
  • @Breath_Easy92 I'd say try not to stress about it and like @MyNamesTaken mentioned, research your local resources. Find one or all of the following: a local store that has a support group, a local LLL, and a good LC that you feel will be supportive of guiding you should you want/need to supplement or switch to formula. The journey is different for every mom, just do your best and get support and help asap because there could be a simple solution that makes nursing easier for you. 
  • @Carebella thanks :) I'll have to look up and see if there's a LLL near me.
  • I had tons of trouble with my first baby and was eventually unable to breast feed all together due to no milk production. We tried..I'm talking baby in the nursery with an IV bc I wasn't giving up, but eventually realized it wasn't happening and fed is best! Now I know fed is best, and it won't be a huge issue this go round if it doesn't work out...but I am trying again!
    I've talked to a LC already who recommended increased water intake, low caffeine, and vitamins now. She also said that eating oatmeal now and after delivery was suppose to help increase production. Not sure if it's true, but something that easy never hurts to try!
  • @Becky012016 Good to know! At my hospital breastfeeding class, the LC mentioned to bring it, but everything else I have read says you don't need the pump yet. I'm still waiting on my Spectra S2 to arrive. I'm doing everything I can to start off on the right foot. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • I don't see anyone mentioning this.. don't forget to check with your insurance about getting a breastpump through them some wont allow you to order till your 30 days from due date I do believe.

A class I took they said if you are going to breastfeed to not introduce bottles or pacifiers for about 6 weeks so you don't confuse your baby.. any STM agree?

@Becky012016 thank you for this I didn't even think of bringing my pump with me but will now.

• bnmort8 said:

A class I took they said if you are going to breastfeed to not introduce bottles or pacifiers for about 6 weeks so you don't confuse your baby.. any STM agree?

We were told the same thing. Then DS never took a pacifier (ever!) and it was really hard to bottle feed him. It wasn't a big deal since I wasn't crazy about the pacifier anyway. I also had a year off (thanks Canada!) so I could just breastfeed him anyway.

This time I think we'll try to have DH give a bottle more regularly once we've established feeding so that it's easier the odd time I'm away and LO will need pumped milk. If DS got hungry enough he would drink it but it wasn't easy on either of them getting to that point.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @bnmort8 that recommendation has more to do with not creating a preference for the bottle. We had to introduce a bottle early, because of feeding issues: preemie and tongue/lip ties. Use a preemie or slow flow nipple to reduce bottle preference and use paced bottle feeding techniques. Check out this kelly mom article. Kelly mom is my feeding go to.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

My kid never took to a pacifier and the nurses gave it in hospital. Pacifiers aren't recommended in the early days, because they literally pacify the baby and they might be hungry. You can avoid this issue, by only giving the pacifier to the baby after a feed. 
  • I love that you started this thread. I had a very hard time breastfeeding with my first and I am determined to breastfeed for much longer with this one! 
  • I do have a question... my nipppes became so cracked and raw that I would sometimes bleed. I remember freaking out when I saw blood in DD's diaper. I rushed her to the doctor and they said she is fine it was just from the breastfeeding. When I spoke to a LC they said it was "normal" and that my blood would just pass through her and wouldn't hurt her but I couldnt get past it and switched to formula. 

Has anyone had a similar experience or anything they would recommend to keep this from happening again? 
  • @msashley2010-2 I would just try and keep your nips lubed up. Lanalin and coconut oil work great. I do know that a girl friend of mine had this issue and it eventually got better and she nursed for a year. I'm hoping you don't go through that again! 
  • bnmort8 said:

I don't see anyone mentioning this.. don't forget to check with your insurance about getting a breastpump through them some wont allow you to order till your 30 days from due date I do believe.

@Becky012016 thank you for this I didn't even think of bringing my pump with me but will now.

I'm sure some have stories of nipple confusion due to bottle/paci but when my DS was 3 days old and we were at home and he was using me as a pacifier literally every 30 min I was up nursing him, I gave him a paci and felt so guilty about it.... I nursed him strong for 18 months and he still has his paci today (about to turn 2) it didn't affect anything and I felt like I was going to die if I didn't get some sleep. I think nipple confusion is actually pretty rare and if they are doing well with it the first few days of life I would give them the paci if they/you need it.
  • bnmort8 said:

I don't see anyone mentioning this.. don't forget to check with your insurance about getting a breastpump through them some wont allow you to order till your 30 days from due date I do believe.

They can say this, but the reality is that if you are struggling and have to supplement then you'll probably introduce a bottle. We started using a bottle during the first week and DS never had nipple confusion. I went on to nurse until about 17 months. DS also used a binky until 12 months and he had no trouble weaning from that while continuing breast feed at night.

@msashley2010-2 Did they add a -2 to your name? Anyway, I had something similar - DS had blood in his stool due to my bloody nipples. Our doc told us it was no big deal and once i got the nipple thing figured out the blood did indeed disappear from his stool. I agree re: just try to keep those suckers lubed up. I relied pretty heavily on triple nipple cream and coconut oil to heal my poor cracked nipples. Lanolin did nothing for me and just felt gross.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @msashley2010-2 Our breastfeeding class said any bleeding cracked painful nipples were from an improper latch and baby not being far enough on. Perhaps that may have been it?

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @lilpoots I had something similar happen with my nipples after I weaned my son at 21 months, which was at the end of my first trimester with this pregnancy. They weren't peeling, but (and this is totally TMI) the tips of my nipples got very dark and the skin cracked a bit. I put lanolin on a few times but it didn't do much to help. At about 30 weeks pregnant, I started to produce tiny bits of colostrum and that seems to have actually helped, my nipples look back to normal (for now). Bodies are so strange!!

+1 to the comment about having the LC at your hospital tell you what size flange you'll need for your pump. That's a great tip. I also plan to ask the LC to check the baby for a lip/tongue tie while in the hospital. Personal choice, but if he has one or both, I will try to get it taken care of in the hospital. I figure he's already getting circumcised so a little snip in his mouth can't be worse than that!

And on nipple confusion, our ped recommended introducing a bottle at 3 weeks if BF was going well, and having my husband give it to the baby with me in another room. That worked for us and is my plan this time, too. We then gave the baby 1-2 bottles of pumped milk/week so he would take them when he went to daycare. But every pediatrician and new piece of research seems to say opposite things, so I try to trust our doctors and my Mom gut. 
    ***TW***
    RAD born 6/2015 |  mc at 7 weeks 9/2016 | rainbow baby RHD born 9/2017
  • So I had/have kind of weird situation, but it's not all that uncommon. I am a STM. I breastfed my first son for approximately 4 months before I had to stop due to food allergies. He was lactose intolerant and allergic to soy and it was causing horrible stomach pains and colic. But prior to that, my first issue with Breastfeeding was latching. From day one the LC informed me I would have issues, and a nipple guard would be my best bet because I have pretty flat nipples. They aren't inverted but they are hard for baby to latch onto. So I got a pump and I did pump/bottle for as long as I could. The other issue I had was I could never produce enough milk for him. I had to supplement pretty early.  We of course eventually had to exclusively use formula (Nutramigen YUCK). I am hoping that this time around baby will not have the same dietary issues. I will still pump/bottle feed because I already know latching will be hard, and I work FT so I won't be able to BF exclusively anyways. My advice is get a pump to help with supply and help over-engorgement. Don't be discouraged! I will be bringing my pump to the hospital with me and I plan to begin pumping as soon as I can.  Side note- my first born NEVER took a pacifier either haha. It's a preference thing for some children. 
    DS- 7

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm sure this is different for everyone but how much does bra size typically change when milk comes in? I want to get a couple nursing tanks/bras prior to giving birth since obviously shopping post-baby is not going to be easy!
    If I get a tank or soft cup bra that has a little stretch to it should that work even if I grow a bit more?

I also read that you can start "preparing" your nips prior to birth by pinching or pulling on them a little to toughen them up. Anyone have any experience with this? 

So strange to me to think of my breasts as functioning objects instead of just for fun and games
  • @jenn622-2 im a FTM so im not speaking from experience but I was told to start moisturizing them with lanolin or something a few weeks before baby comes. I was told it prevents dryness, cracking, and bleeding? But that's kind of the opposite of toughening them up I'd think. 
  • @Breath_Easy92 @jenn622-2 I was told not to put any products on your nipples prior to baby being born as the baby is attracted to the natural scent in their first few days which encourages feeding. So confusing!
  • k8ywags said:
    I've been told by several different friends that BF hurts at first no matter how good your latch. They all said that it wasn't something they were prepared for because we're told that if your latch is good then you shouldn't experience any pain. I've also been told that getting through the 1st 6 weeks is the hardest, and once you get to the 6 week stage it becomes much easier and pain free
    I've breastfed my two children and completely agree with this. 

@jenn622-2 When your milk first comes in, your boobs will be ENORMOUS and engorged, but will eventually settle down to your new nursing size (I don't remember how long - a few weeks?). I recommend using "sleep bras" in the beginning until you have a better idea of what your new size is (I think that's what they're called). 
  • +1 on the sleep bras! They are amazing and comfy.

Also, BFing hurt for me for the first few weeks even though we had no issues. I also wasn't warned that it would hurt your belly for the first while too. I think it stimulates contractions in your uterus as it's trying to shrink and it can be uncomfortable or painful. Also, DS clamped down really hard on me and I had a bruise on one side for a week. That hurt.  :confounded:
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My breasts got ginormous when my milk came in. None of the bras I had when I was pregnant even fit. I only wore nursing tanks and sleep bras. I waited until 6 weeks PP and then had bras professionally fitted.

to add on to the BF and uterine contractions--I've heard it hurts worse with each baby! Forgot about that. 
  • Thanks so much for your input! I'm definitely going to try to stick it out this time around. It helps hearing about other moms having gone through the same thing. 

And @wannabeamongoose they did add a -2 to my name but I have no idea why. It happened before and then it went away and now the -2 is back. I just wonder if I'm on some kind of TB watchlist for bad behavior. Lol  :D
  • lilpootslilpoots member
    edited August 2017
    @k8ywags
    @msashley2010-02
    expect bf to be uncomfortable or hurt when baby first latches on in the beginning. If your nipples are cracking and bleeding, even with moisturizing, then the latch may be off. If you are grimacing through the pain and it doesn't get better during the session, that is not normal. One of the things to look for is the shape of your nipple, after the baby is finished feeding. This can give you an idea of latch or other nursing problems. I had a tied baby and experienced vasospasm, because of his crazy latch.

@upnorthmom yes! That sounds like what I have experienced, but then the skin does efoliate off eventually. I guess I should get some lanolin. I tried coconut oil and it wasn't really helping. It has been better since I started leaking a little colostrum.

@jenn622-2 something with stretch will be more comfortable if you are engorged, but breasts can gain 1-3 sizes depending. Also, no toughening up nipples. It will only hurt you. I bought nursing bras that had adjustable clasps to make the cups smaller or larger, in the beginning. They were hideous! Then I invested in normal nursing bras with snaps after 6 weeks.
  • Thanks ladies!!
  • If you have a Nordstrom around you, they will convert any bra you buy into a nursing bra! So I had pretty bras that I nursed in for a year. 
    I really like the earth mama nipple butter. I liked the lansinoh cream for the shower since it was so sticky. Water in the shower was so painful on my nipples. I didn't want anything touching them in the beginning. 
  • @msashley2010-2 Our breastfeeding class said any bleeding cracked painful nipples were from an improper latch and baby not being far enough on. Perhaps that may have been it?
    I'm not sure if I believe this entirely. With a perfect latch, breastfeeding still was very painful for the first several weeks. I don't know a single mom who has said differently. Now yes, if you have a bad latch it will be more painful and can have cracked bleeding nipples (had all of that) but I think it sets some mom up for failure when consultants and books tell you it shouldn't hurt at all. 
    I breastfed for a year and it was never painful (till she got teeth, but that's a different story). Pain is normal, but it doesn't have to hurt.
  • If you have a Nordstrom around you, they will convert any bra you buy into a nursing bra! So I had pretty bras that I nursed in for a year. 
    I really like the earth mama nipple butter. I liked the lansinoh cream for the shower since it was so sticky. Water in the shower was so painful on my nipples. I didn't want anything touching them in the beginning. 
    Whhhhhaaaat?!?! This is the best tip I've heard so far!! Thank you!!
  • @sarahufl wow! That's awesome! Im hoping since I nursed my son for 17 months that this time I'll be better equipped with tips to make it less painful. Luckily my son wasn't a biter! 

@jenn622-2 yep! They charge $10 to convert it to a nursing bra. Best thing ever! 
  • I plan on BF & pumping but I'm torn on the whole not introducing a bottle until 6 weeks. I have a couple different types of bottles that are to suppose to help swapping back and forth between breasts and bottle (according to the label). I really want DH to be able to feed her too, but I don't want it to interfere with my supply. I also wonder though if with how much she'll be feeding the first month if there will even be time to pump. 
  • I plan on BF & pumping but I'm torn on the whole not introducing a bottle until 6 weeks. I have a couple different types of bottles that are to suppose to help swapping back and forth between breasts and bottle (according to the label). I really want DH to be able to feed her too, but I don't want it to interfere with my supply. I also wonder though if with how much she'll be feeding the first month if there will even be time to pump. 
    You may not want DH to feed her when she gets here. I was protective over those nursing sessions. I also didn't have time to pump at all
    because I felt like I was nursing every 45 minutes.