Working Moms

Timing Baby Based on Work Schedule?!

Hi All,

I am a full time working mom with a 17 month old. We are wanting to start trying for our second soon. I'm anxious now that we've both decided that we are in fact going to try for our second...for a few reasons. Our first was a surprise (a happy one), but unplanned so I'm not sure how easy this will be. I'm also just recently turned 35. So there's that big # of being 'of advanced maternal age', lol. But, seriously. And, I'm wondering, how much if any should I care about timing or try to time baby making with my work schedule? Honestly, I know I should not care. My clock is ticking and my family comes first. But, my family relies on my income and there are a handful of months during my work calendar year that are really not optimal for being out on leave. That being said, if we wait until November to start trying (which is when would be optimal) we'd only really have a 3 month window of trying before needing to hold off again...and then, turning 36. I don't think I'd lose my job if I was out during the busiest months, but I work in youth programming...so certain staple summer programs likely wouldn't happen if I'm out. I guess what I'm looking for here is support to move forward and just try and not worry about work??!!! Has anyone been out on leave during big events and lived to go on with their career? Do you think I should broach the topic with my superiors? General thoughts about how silly this is?

Thanks for listening :)

Re: Timing Baby Based on Work Schedule?!

• This is a decision for you and your family.  If now is the time, then go for it. Just make sure once you're pregnant that you give them plenty of notice so your back up is prepared to take on all the big events, or that as much of it is in place as possible. Unless it's something you're willing to put off TTC for a year (and a healthy couple can take up to 12 months to conceive with no problem) then go for it and figure out the details later when you have details that need figuring out.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • nackienackie member
    It took me over a year of trying when I was 34.  I ended up being out for the end of a huge project that I was managing, but they had 6 months of notice to plan for it, so it was fine.  I wouldn't try to time it, you never know if it'll take you one month or 18 to get pregnant
  • Loading the player...
  • My work is very seasonally-busy too (and terribly important to me). Hubby and I said we would aim for a Nov or Dec baby for this first time around and if it didn't happen, we would aim for a bigger target next year. I'm 33 and we got pregnant on our first try- it absolutely could have turned out that we were going to be less-fortunate and that we weren't going to be able to plan so carefully and I was prepared for that.
  • Something else to consider is if your job would work with you and let you do part time or bring the new baby to work with you. So it wouldn't necessarily have to be an all or nothing thing if the timing isn't optimal.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers