August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• I am still managing. My fasting numbers are in the high 80's and they want my under 90.  I hit 36 weeks Saturday and I hope things get easier.  I think I am seeing some correlation to what I eat for dinner and my fasting numbers so I am going to play with that a little.  

I had a growth scan yesterday and baby girl was right where she should be.  

I have been doing pretty well not being tempted by cake or cookies but the last few days every time I see a picture of one I crave it.  I could do without that for the next few weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's been a rough week at work so my numbers were higher than normal despite eating really well. Here's to hoping they drop again this weekend. 
    I've been struggling with cravings more and more too. This last month is gonna be hard!
    I also had to start NST's this week, so far I've just had one and passed it just fine. I just feel like I have so many more doctors appointments this time than with DD. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @bubblesmtu  I struggled after words with gaining weight because I wanted to eat all the carbs and sweets I hadn't been able to.  This time I am going to be more mindful of how much I indulge, because I ended up losing all my baby weight quickly and then slowly gaining it back.   
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bubblesmtu +1 for the increase in cravings. I feel like I've gotten through a month if being really tight on my diet and now I kinda want to cry when I see pastries. Those effing memes about eating with abandon or indulging during pregnancy make me slightly stabby. My 1/2 cup of carefully planned ice cream or 1oz square of dark chocolate I treat myself occasionally to do not fulfill pregnancy cravings. 

@shyviolet I swear I also see a correlation between what I eat for dinner and what my fasting numbers are. 

I'm a few weeks behind both of you, heading into where it gets harder to control via diet, so fingers crossed we all get through these remaining weeks!!!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The doctor decided it was better if I take insulin instead of a pill. So I started taking it yesterday. 3 times a day which I think is overkill because I was managing with diet and a pill at night. I cry every time I have to draw it up and inject it. Then I feel really weird for a few hours after I take it. I absolutely hate it. Mix that with the fact that my 18 month old is still struggling to sleep at night due to ear infection/antibiotics..I'm a hot mess 
  • I met with the dietician today and he was really happy with my numbers.  I thought I would be lectured for not taking several after dinner readings because I fell asleep before the 2 hour mark, but he just made a joke about how I must be tired.  I'm compliant with dinner so I know my numbers are fine, but we tend to eat late and I struggle to stay awake.  I was stressed out earlier in the week because DS was having surgery so 2 of my numbers were high, but I added in more exercise and made sure I was in the lower range of carbs for a few meals to get back on track.  I go back in 3 weeks where they'll test my A1C again and if that's fine, I won't have to go back.

I had a growth u/s earlier this week and the baby was estimated to be in the 40th percentile.  As long as my numbers stay under control, I won't need any NSTs or additional u/s.  

I also have cravings for sweets especially because I know I shouldn't have them.  I did have frozen yogurt last weekend and if I take a long walk afterwards, in my experience it shouldn't have much of an effect, but I'm trying to avoid sweets as much as possible.  Last time, I also went overboard on sweets and high carb meals after delivery because I could finally have them again.  It certainly didn't help with losing weight so I hope to not overindulge in that way again.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Mango517  Nature Valley has a protein granola bar that helps satisfy my sweet tooth and keeps my blood sugar in check.  Not as good as a pastry but at least it feels a little like a treat.  I keep a bunch around because I know they are an easy safe snack for me.  

@TRA0816  Sorry you had to go to the insulin.  Did you ask why they decided to change if you were managing fine with the pill and diet.

@MetsGirl18  If you are only missing a few after dinner readings you are doing way better then me.  I am finding it so hard to test regularly.  With DS out of school for the summer our schedule is all over the place.  When I know I am going to have issues testing on time I try and eat a "safe" meal that I have had before.  I always try and test after meals that are a new mix of carbs and proteins.  

I am 36 weeks today and the last 2 mornings my fasting numbers have been in the low 80's.  I am hoping what I have read is true and it starts getting easier from here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so frustrated with my numbers ☹️ My fasting numbers are still high in the 90's. Yesterday was 103 and today 101. My lowest number this last week was 88. Bedtime snack has remained same(cottage cheese, blueberries, walnuts) but I think what I have for dinner effects it too. The dr added in insulin 10 units to metformin. But my MFM ob said to do just insulin. I wish my providers would agree on treatment because as of now I've never been below 90 except twice!! And I'm 36 weeks today. Last scan baby was doing just fine but I had slightly high Fluid. Anxious for my apt this Monday. 
    Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!
  • @babydancer83  I can't do fruit before bed. I normally do some sort of mix of nuts and dark chocolate.  If you do want to keep fruit in there I would try raspberries because they are one of the best for not raising blood sugar.  I have noticed that a lower carb, high protein dinner really helps keep may fasting numbers in check.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @babydancer83 Can you try something with even more protein at night like Greek yogurt?  The fruit and cottage cheese may be a little high on the sugar at night.

My evening snack is typically a low carb wrap (about 11g of carbs) with peanut butter or sun butter and 1-2 cheese sticks.  If I fall asleep before an evening snack, but still wake up again by midnight and am hungry, I tend to just have a spoonful of peanut butter.

I've also noticed that if my dinner number is on the higher end of the normal range, my fasting number tends to be on the higher end of normal even with the same evening snack as when I have a lower after dinner number.  My numbers are also better if I take a long walk or exercise at night.
  • @babydancer83

So frustrating to see the numbers not lower. I'll echo the previous advice of either cutting out the fruit at night or focusing on a lower carb/high protien dinner with a walk or exercise afterwards.

I don't often have the late night snack because we usually eat dinner so late, but I'd suggest something maybe without dairy. I noticed that dairy late at night wasn't giving me the best numbers. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you guys have a Trader Joe's near you, I'm in love with their oven baked cheese bite snacks. They do a killer job of fulfilling my cravings for something salty and crunchy (ie- pretzels or crackers) and I love them in place of croutons on salads. Very low carbs (<1 gram) and high protein.

Image result for trader joes oven baked cheese bites

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517- those look so good! No Trader Joe's by me though :(:( 
  • @Mango517  My closest trader joes is 40 min away but I may need to go get some.  They look so good.  

I had a doctors appointment today and we reviewed my numbers.  I am still have some high fasting numbers but she said everything looked great.  That compared to the numbers they normally see I am a star student.  It makes me wonder what their's look like.  I feel like all of us here are doing similarly so I don't really have a reference for anything other then the numbers I have.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just this week I've noticed my numbers creeping up a lot, even with the exact same meals I've been eating for weeks. I am 35 weeks now so I've heard this is the time it's the hardest to control?? My fasting this morning was 99, the highest it's ever been. So now I'm afraid I might have to go on meds the last few weeks :( I'll see what they say when I send in my numbers at the end of the week. 
  • We're all getting close! Is anyone else having their 36 week ultrasound soon? Mine is Friday and I'm starting to freak out. Baby's belly was in the 93% at 32 weeks and I'm hoping that baby's growth slowed down since then. 

@bubblesmtu I'm almost 36 weeks and I noticed that some of my numbers became unruly around 34-35 weeks. I've upped my protein intake at bed and I've been keeping my nightly 30 minute walk as a way to help. 
  • I made the dumbest mistake last night in my dinner choice. Damn Chinese food gave me the highest reading I've ever gotten for a 2 hour post-158!!!! I felt like complete crap and was insanely guilty. The worst part was it wasn't even worth the spike- I'd rather have gone face down into a bag of cookies for those results. I kept myself on my feet around the house for a few hours to help burn off the sugar and luckily was back on track this morning. 

I'm still in my 34th week, so I keep telling myself that I'm headed into the worst of it and to mentally prepare for increased diet austerity in order to get through the home stretch. 

Interested to see how my 36 week u/s goes. I feel like he just won't stop growing now (but isn't that just how it goes in the 3rd tri?). That 36 week u/s is also I'm going to start the weekly NST. 

@megaroo64 I hope your u/s goes well!! Keep
    us updated!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bubblesmtu My fasting numbers are all over the place. It is so discouraging because I think I have it figured out and then I will have a high number from what feel like out of no where.  I hope this morning was better for you.

@megaroo42  I had my growth scan last week and she was right where she needs to be. I was worried because I didn't want them to push for induction based on the scan.  Good luck with yours.

@Mango517  I had grapes one night and had the same think happen. I hate knowing I did that to my body and baby, but I don't think one spike will have to much of an impact.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mango517 I have stayed away from Asian food because rice and soy sauce do a real number on my blood sugar.  I remember from last time that the diabetes place said that there's something about Chinese food (I think it was soy sauce) that seems to cause a huge spike in blood sugar.  My co-workers threw me a little surprise shower/lunch today so between the meal and the cupcakes they bought, my after lunch number was definitely above where it should've been.  I took a walk after to try to counteract it, but it was still high.  I don't feel good about a sugar spike, but at the same time, I don't think an occasional treat or not so great meal choice will have much of an effect.  I'm compliant most of the time with my diet, continue to exercise and my numbers have been good.  

I'm 34+3 and had a growth u/s last week.  The fluid looked good and the baby was on the smaller side in the 40th percentile.  As long as my numbers are where they're supposed to be (less than 10% outside of the range), I won't have additional u/s or monitoring.

@shyviolet The fasting numbers are frustrating.  Mine have been pretty much in check now that I'm following the diet (they were a little all over the place before my first appointment when I was only testing twice per day and not being as strict with each meal).  However, today's number was at the top of the range and I don't feel like I did anything really different last night. Sometimes I feel like I figured out a plan for the fasting number, but following the same routine has lead to some noticeable differences in results.  I'm just hoping they stay within the range for the next month.  I hope yours stay under control too.  
  • Here's my update: growth ultrasound went well and baby is measuring at a smaller percentage than a month ago - yay! Baby was estimated to being 6 lbs. 12 oz. 

On a different note, I had a slightly elevated blood pressure reading at the ultrasound and was sent to L&D to get checked out. When I was there, baby decided to roll on its cord or grab its cord, and we were stormed with 3 nurses and an OB ready to deliver baby. All is well though, and baby was fine after. Now I have to do a 24-hour urine collection for Monday and they scheduled me for an induction on 7/30. Ahh!!
  • @megaroo42 Sorry you have more to deal with on top of the GD.  7/30 is so soon, it will be so so exciting to have your baby here and not worry about food choices anymore. 

I hit a food wall this weekend, nothing sounds good except fruit.  It doesn't help that our cupboards are empty. I just keep telling my self 3 more weeks.    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mango517  Haha. If I had known it was that easy, I would have eaten a cupcake under the picnic table at the birthday party we were at last night.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mango517 It hasn't infiltrated my dreams at night, but I definitely daydream about yummy desserts and ice cream.  I don't really miss pizza, pasta, rice, etc, but I crave sweets and can't wait to indulge again.  The two times I had something it seemed to affect my blood sugar for the rest of the day so I'm trying to be good.  I'm annoyed that a delicious tray of brownies, cookies, etc is now sitting in the office and I can't partake.
  • Last time I ate diabetic cupcakes and ice cream and it wasn't bad actually! Fixes the sweet tooth
  • megaroo42megaroo42 member
    edited July 2017
    OMG I forgot about brownies! I can't believe that in less than a week I'll be able to eat whatever I want. Knowing that that day is coming is surreal! We're almost all there!

edit: bc TB app is dumb

• I've been dreaming about eating delicious food again too! Pasta!! 
    Last weekend I was at a bridal shower and cheated and had a lemon bar and a few bites of cake. It was sooo good. I checked my numbers after an hour and it was a 126 so I didn't feel completely horrible. 
    This week too I found out I won't have to go on any meds. I was so happy I almost started crying at my appt. 
    We are almost at the end now ladies!
  • @bubblesmtu  That is interesting that you already let you know you won't need meds.  My doctor watches my numbers until the very end. 

I have a mental list of all the things I want to eat once this baby comes, and it makes me feel a little guilty because of how long it is. My plan is to indulge a little and then get back on track.  I am excited to not have to worry about it every time I go out to eat.  It is to the point I almost dread eating out because it is hard to find anything other then a salad that works for the diet.  And even then I don't feel like I get full enough or have enough carbs with most salads.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shyviolet- I was really surprised too; it seems like there's so many different guidelines out there for GD and some doctors are way more strict than others. I still have to send in my numbers weekly just in case they go out of whack. 
    My go-to lunch lately after my NST's is the green goddess cobb salad with chicken and broccoli cheese soup from Panera. It's super filling and I've had great numbers after. I think I've gone there at least five times for lunch in the past 3 weeks!  Plus they have some unsweetened different flavor teas to mix it up a little. 
  • @bubblesmtu I wish we had a Panera close to us, that lunch sounds so good.  Even though it is going to be the hottest week of the year for us I think I might make broccoli cheese soup because now I want some, and I can put all the good stuff in it.  It is surprising how different everyone's treatment.  I don't have to do a NST unless I go over 40 weeks.

Speaking of different treatment has anyone discussed with their doctor what they will do during delivery and after for your GD?  They will test me every few hours during and give insulin if my numbers are to high.  I mentioned I was more worried about the crashing with the not eating and the stress of labor but she did not seem to concerned about that.  Once I deliver I am considered treated and don't have to test at all and baby will be monitored for I think 24 hours to make sure she is not hypoglycemic.  I will do a 2 hour glucose challenge 5-6 weeks after I deliver.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shyviolet Last time, I did nothing after delivery.  I think I was supposed to test at least a handful of times just to make sure everything went back to normal, but I didn't bother.  No one has mentioned anything yet about this time, but I have what I hope is my last appointment at the monitoring place at the end of the week so I guess I may find out then.
  • Hey ladies.  A little update on my and what my delivery/postpartum treatment plan is this time around. I delivered last week (yay!)  and my daughter's glucose numbers were good. The hospital has a "3 good tests and they stop testing" rule so after 3 good blood sugars my baby girl was in the clear.
    My blood sugars went crazy after my water broke. My numbers shot up from 100 to 150 in less than an hour (my drive into the hospital) and this was after but my evening insulin. The doc said that delivery and all the hormones can really set off sugars and that it's possible my body decided it needed a lot of extra sugar to get through the delivery and keep me going. I have never had numbers that high so I made them retake it just to make sure it was a real number. What can I say, I was in labor and it threw me. After delivery, my sugars, including my fastings, were all back to normal within a couple hours. by the time I left they were all back within a normal range. 
    The midwife came in and said that they want to do a GTT at 6 weeks postpartum. I totally balked. No one ever said anything about needing to do a 4-hour long test after I had my baby. Since I have an endocrine/diabetes doc that handled my condition while pregnant why wouldn't I follow their care regimen, which was to test periodically and come back at 6 weeks post? they told me I could do that but I had to test 4 times a day for the next 6 weeks. 

Anyone else been told they have to have a Tolerance test post delivery? since I have a primary doctor that didn't seem to think that test was needed I'm probably going to deny it and keep seeing my endocrine for me autoimmune condition and monitor my A1C. But if its regular practice perhaps I'll change my mind. They won't allow me to breastfeed or pump during the GTT and 4 hours is way longer than I'll be comfortable so that factors in too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove- congrats on your new little one!!! I'm glad you are both doing so well!
    My MFM also told me I'll have to schedule a gtt at my 6 week post partum visit. I didn't ask how long it would be though, I just assumed I'd be doing a 2 hr test just like when I got diagnosed with GD. 
  • @boxerbabylove Congrats on your baby. My doctor mentioned sugars can spike during labor so I am glad I won't be surprised if it happens.  DS was born 45 min after we got to the hospital so there was no time to do any testing so I feel like a newbie at all this.  I was also told I would do a 2 hr GTT about 5-6 weeks after delivery.  I would talk to your endocrine doctor if you are concerned about it, they seem like they would be the more knowledgeable ones.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im on glyburide its helped me
  • @boxerbabylove After reading the responses, I think I may have been advised to do another GTT following delivery last time, but I didn't bother.  I have my appointment tomorrow with the monitoring place and I'll see what they say, but I can't imagine doing the 3 hour GTT with fasting and not drinking at 6 weeks PP.  I'm planning on EBFing again and there's no way I feel comfortable dealing with that test and trying to figure out timing the feedings for a baby who will be at an age where there's typically a big growth spurt and cluster feeding.  I'm not completely opposed to doing the test at some point, but not so soon after delivery.
  • So I had my final appointment with the monitoring place today.  My A1C remained the same (within normal range) from over a month ago and my testing numbers have been good.  I was told that I could drop down to testing twice per day (fasting and 1 meal) until delivery.  Then, since I plan to BF, I can do the 2 hour GTT 12 weeks after delivery.  If not BFing, they recommend taking it after 6 weeks PP.  The instructions say to stop BFing 2 hours before the test and not BF during the test.  I'm going to see how BFing is going and how long the baby and I can go in between feedings before scheduling the test.  I'm not exactly in a rush to take a GTT again.  If I have to delay it a bit until I feel comfortable not BFing or pumping for 4 hours, I will.
  • @MetsGirl18- that's a really good point about bf'ing!  I will probably ask to delay my test as well because with DD I was feeding her every hour and a half. Plus I was so hungry and thirsty all the time. 
  • @MetsGirl18  They have not monitored my A1C at all and I kind of wish they were because it seems like an important part of the picture.  That is interesting about waiting until 12 weeks if you are breast feeding.  Mine wants we to do it at 6 weeks but I would prefer to delay it if I can.  I will see how it is going, I had to supplement with DS so it may not be a big deal. 

My birthday is Monday and I feel like GD takes the fun out of it.  I think I may wait to celebrate until after the baby is born.  Not that I do much now, but it would be nice to not worry about my food choices.  I did have a dream that someone brought me a birthday cake and I said no thank you.  Then decided to try a bite and ended up eating half of it cookie monster style.  I hope I am not that bad when I finally get to eat something sweet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shyviolet- Happy early Birthday! I know how you feel, my bday is today and not having real cake is gonna be hard :(. I'm gonna make DH take me out for steak since I'm also anemic still... and I'm going to try having cheesecake. Others in a fb group I'm in have had luck with cheesecake so hopefully it won't spike my sugars too high!