December 2017 Moms

Zika

how worried are you about the Zika virus?  

I just got bit a couple times and I'm so worried about it for some reason.  I'm nervous about sex without protection too.  Am I crazy?  

Living in Maryland.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Zika

• I live in Florida and am not particularly worried. Are there active cases in Maryland? I usually wear bug spray and make sure I'm in longer sleeves at night even if its just a light cardigan. I would voice your concerns to your OB and use condoms until you can do the blood test to see if you were infected. 
  • Check the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/index.html
    Maryland has no active Zika.  It's really just two tiny areas in the US that have had advisories.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Zika hasn't been a hot topic these days. Unless you live in an area that has known cases recently or is a pseudo tropical area (such as parts of southern Texas, Southern California, etc), there's not a BIG reason to worry. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • whiskawhiska member
    I got a few bites on our cabin trip but I'm not worried about zika here (midwest).  What I would like to know are if you guys have recommendations for warm beachy places without zika?  I haaaaate that this virus has eliminated so many beautiful vacation places.
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• yep, I'd say crazy:) 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • @whiska  What are you looking for, beyond a beach?  All of the US east and west coasts are okay! So much better than last year.

Image from CDC on 7/31/17
  • Given that Maryland isn't a hotspot for Zika, I wouldn't worry too much.  I'd be smart, but not let it overwhelm you. 

I'd keep an eye out for local cases (likely from someone who traveled to a Zika-infested area, got bit there, but is feeling the results once they get home), talk to your doctor, and be smart about bug safety (if you're going to be outside, wear bug spray).  

But I'm not letting it change my plans - I haven't said "no I can't go to that BBQ because we'll be outside all night and ZIKA."  I just make sure I put on bugspray before heading over.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • I wouldn't be too worried in Maryland. You're not in a tropical climate and unless you're having sex with multiple partners, I wouldn't be worried about having unprotected sex either... I mean, that's the fun of being pregnant... the deed is done, so goodbye condoms! As long as your partner hasn't been traveling to an infected area.

I live in a desert climate and we don't have any mosquitoes whatsoever. So no worries here! 
  • Thanks girls!!!  That's what I needed to hear!  My doctor wasn't concerned when I asked at the beginning of the summer.  I can go a little crazy
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • We live in south Texas, and there have been reported cases of Zika 2-3 hours away. My OB recommended wearing DEET every day because of our location. My husband has been traveling to Mexico for work a lot lately, so we are using condoms until baby comes. Hubby is NOT happy about that, but, as my OB said, "The risk is low, but the consequences are catastrophic." However, this is all because of our location and special circumstances. In Maryland, I would not worry a bit.
  • I live in CT, so I'm actually much more concerned about contracting Lyme disease or other tick related illnesses than I am about Zika. I did consider Zika when I was traveling to Bermuda a couple of months ago, but thankfully they have not had any active cases there.
  • I'm going to SW Florida in oct and plan to wear Deet if we're outside. I'm not super worried about it, but just want to be cautious. I live in the Midwest and don't worry about it at all on a day-to-day basis. I'm more concerned about ticks when we go for hikes. So I wear Deet then too. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm in NH, but went to Florida (Siesta Key) around the 11/12 week mark. Because we weren't going to the two small areas of concern, my doctor had no worries. 

@whiska Siesta Key (just south of Sarasota) is rated as the best beach in the US if you're looking for a nice beach vacation!!
  • I'm from Florida but I am not worried. I feel that bug spray is enough if I am going to be outside, which really isn't that often because it is obnoxiously hot right now. I really wouldn't worry about it in Maryland.
  • I'm also from Florida and not particularly worried. At the MFM's office today I had to fill out a Zika questionnaire and it just asked if I've visited any of the affected countries or the Miami-Dade area. I hadn't so they had no follow up for me.
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers