February 2018 Moms

Sipping one glass of red wine while eating food?

People keep telling me mixed answers on this. I turn 21 on 8/14 and was wondering if I can order one glass of wine at dinner to celebrate. I will be 15 weeks by then. 

Re: Sipping one glass of red wine while eating food?

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard of doctors telling woman to drink a glass of red wine to induce labor in the third trimester 
  • Aw, too bad about the timing, but I wouldn't risk it.
  • tayant814 said:
    I've heard of doctors telling woman to drink a glass of red wine to induce labor in the third trimester 
    There's a huge difference between 15 weeks and 37+ weeks, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind and just want us to validate it.
  • tayant814 said:
    I've heard of doctors telling woman to drink a glass of red wine to induce labor in the third trimester 
    There's a huge difference between 15 weeks and 37+ weeks, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind and just want us to validate it.
    Thank you, @LadyMillil. My thoughts exactly. OP is going to do what she wants and wants us to say "oh sure! Celebrate!" 

• tayant814 said:
    I have never heard any doctor in practice recommending that. I don't know every doctor on the planet, though. 
  •  It's your choice but the risk of birth defects or permanently changing your child's quality of life isn't really worth it to me. 
  • Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2017
    Each to their own. Personally, I am totally okay with having a small wine spritzer here or there. But often I don't simply because it doesn't sit well in my stomach. I'm not talking getting a buzz, just a small drink.

My mom is a NICU nurse and we've discussed this often. Its not like you're drinking a fifth of vodka. Also my sister lives in another country, Its totally normal there for pregnant woman to have a wine spritzer here and there. They aren't as strict or judgmental. 

I feel like this is a topic where either you're cool with it or you're not. No amount of data will sway someone one way or another. You do your own research and make your conclusions. 

If youre cool with it, enjoy a small wine. Enjoy yourself. Also, I suggest demanding large quantities of desserts for your birthday. Like an entire cake for yourself. 
    @fishyfishfish234  - This is why we won't have the ACOG or other medical bodies making a PSA that drinking alcohol during pregnancy is a-okay, but individual caregivers may be fine with a patient having a small glass of wine, beer or wine cooler once they're further along. I had an OB suggest a massage, warm bath and glass of wine once I hit early term when I mentioned being stressed and dealing with anxiety. All of my midwives okayed a glass of wine later in pregnancy and trusted their clients, based on the relationship they built overtime, to understand what occasional actually means. But it's not something providers will universally encourage or okay due to the concerns I previously stated.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I asked one simple question not for all you judgmental people to bash on me. Like I said before I kept getting mixed answers on this question so I wanted this threads opinion because I ask my midwife. 
  • I wanted a drink. I was feeling super stressed. I thought it would be fine. I did a quick Google search and even one drink increases your risk of miscarriage, still birth and a million other things. I personally decided it was better not to risk it. That's not me fear mongering, just sharing my experience and the overall conclusion from research that no amount of alcohol is safe during pregnancy. 
  • tayant814 said:mop
    I asked one simple question not for all you judgmental people to bash on me. Like I said before I kept getting mixed answers on this question so I wanted this threads opinion because I ask my midwife. 
    What did your midwife say? You should follow her advice,  she knows you And your pregnancy better than internet strangers. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • tayant814 said:
    I asked one simple question not for all you judgmental people to bash on me. Like I said before I kept getting mixed answers on this question so I wanted this threads opinion because I ask my midwife. 
    Cry me a river. I thought everyone responded kindly. 
  • This has been extremely tame considering this is a pretty inflammatory topic on TB. You and your midwife can assess the risk and only you can decide if its worth it. FWW this is not going to be the last thing you miss out on because you are pregnant/ have a child, and its a little hard for me (and I assume others) to relate to what is, in my mind, a not that important thing that could have terrible consequences. 

But again, this is your choice, the reason there are so many mixed answers is because there are so many unknowns. But there are studies to read and statistics to weigh, and your midwife will have their opinion as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tayant814 said:
    People keep telling me mixed answers on this. I turn 21 on 8/14 and was wondering if I can order one glass of wine at dinner to celebrate. I will be 15 weeks by then. 
    QFP
  • No one was judgemental. You had to know that this is a hot button topic. Someone said it earlier: it sounds like you wanted people to agree with you and say "yes that would be fine" so you could justify your decision. Sorry but that's not how it works. If you ask for opinions, you will get them. And many won't agree with you. You will encounter that throughout your life and not everyone will be as polite as people have been on here.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• To each their own. I personally had an occasional glass of  wine with my first pregnancy and have a healthy 3 yr old. However, I do believe a glass to one may not be a glass to another. Size matters. Not condoning drinking a bottle. Or glass everyday. But in my opinion a small glass occasionally is ok. I'll probably do the same later this pregnancy. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Of course this is a heated topic, I've personally decided not to drink at all during pregnancy. I think it's a lot easier to handle my anxiety when I know I'm minimising risk as much I as I can.
  • I think everyone has been pretty respectful. I get it's your 21st but the reality is that no one really knows how alcohol affects a fetus. Having a drink isn't really worth a risk in my opinion. A glass of wine doesn't satisfy me in a way where the benefit would ever outweigh the risk. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with those saying it's not worth it. You have the rest of your life to have a drink. It's not worth the risks. 

And I didn't drink in my 21st and it was fine. It's not at all what I remember. This is one of the many choices you'll have to make to put your child first. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • awb1216 said:
    If it were me, I'd have a small 1/2 glass of wine to celebrate. I had small 1/2 glasses of wine a few times during my last pregnancy, but never more than that.

While it is true that no amount of alcohol has been proven to be safe, there are also numerous studies that show that light drinking (up to 1 drink per week) does not show adverse effects.
    ^ This! I had my bday when I was about 7 weeks. We went on a trip and I ordered a small glass of wine at dinner, which DH drank most of. I had a few sips and honestly it didn't even taste that good to me. Alcohol has been tasting very strong and beer especially tastes bitter. Sometimes I take a sip of DH's beer to make sure I don't like it! LOL

That said, I think North America is way uptight about drinking during pregnancy. Other cultures don't frown upon it because people know how to practice moderation. However, listen to your doctor/midwife and be careful. Like I said, I'd have a few sips, but not a whole glass, especially in first tri (I know you're in second tri so that's just a general statement). 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• FWIW my OB and I are friends on Facebook/Instagram. DD and I were eating *cooked* sushi and she was like hey Reminder you can't have that! A few days earlier I'd posted a picture of DH and I cheersing to selling our house. It was sparkling cider and not champagne so I mentioned that to her in that conversation. She said "I am far more concerned about sushi than I am a glass of champagne" BUT she is MY doctor and knows my history etc. I think you should just ask your doctor or midwife. They will most likely tell you what everyone else is, there's no amount that's proven safe. 
  • Nothing wrong with a few sips/half a glass to celebrate a milestone like that! I turned 30 the other day and said 'cheers!' with all my friends. I agree alcohol intake during pregnancy should be extremely minimal. If you're concerned chat to your doctor. Happy Birthday!! 
  • Not sure if anyone has read Expecting Better by Emily Oster? She has undertaken a lot of research and made it digestible. I really enjoyed it. I think her background may be as an economist... at any rate, she uses her data analysis and stats skills
    to breaks down the risks based on the best studies undertaken globally on loads of topics - risks around food, alcohol, miscarriage, pharmaceuticals etc. I recommend it for anyone is who is anxious and knowledge hungry. And maybe who would like some reassurance around the very occasional half glass of red....
  • Not sure if anyone has read Expecting Better by Emily Oster? She has undertaken a lot of research and made it digestible. I really enjoyed it. I think her background may be as an economist... at any rate, she uses her data analysis and stats skills
    to breaks down the risks based on the best studies undertaken globally on loads of topics - risks around food, alcohol, miscarriage, pharmaceuticals etc. I recommend it for anyone is who is anxious and knowledge hungry. And maybe who would like some reassurance around the very occasional half glass of red....
    I saw this book mentioned in a thread the other day  - can't remember who posted about it but I'm super grateful!  I downloaded it last night and have been reading like crazy.  This is the most informed I've felt so far.  I spend my days doing risk analysis at work and her approach is right up my alley.  I obviously haven't finished it yet but second your recommendation for sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LydRussell  I read it during my last pregnancy and it was so enlightening and helpful.  It took so much of the stress away about eating rules while pregnant.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • eggplantfaceeggplantface member
    edited August 2017
    @LydRussell I have that one and immediately read the chapters on food and exercise and I loved her rational approach. Warning: I also bought The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy and it's the worst. It's nothing but anecdotes about her and her girlfriends' pregnancies that she's passing off as advice...no actual data to back up anything she says. Completely worthless.

ETA to correct grammar, she has more than one girlfriend.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Yeah - I read her for my last pregnancy and loved her pragmatism. I haven't heard of The Girlfriends' Guide To Pregnancy but will give it a miss then! I think the only book I need right now is How to Handle a Rambunctious Two Year Old and a Newborn (for Dummies) :smiley: