Trying to Get Pregnant

IF Treatment &Testing Week of July 31

Re: IF Treatment &Testing Week of July 31

• Loading the player...
  • I'm new here, but something that you said really struck a chord with me. This weekend, I've realized how unhappy I have been as well. After every hurdle, I used to think, "OK, we will overcome this," and then something happens to make me feel like I will NEVER overcome the IF struggle. I realized that once it the point where it's easier to see how I can fail, rather than overcome, I may need to take a step back. We're considering taking a 3-4 month break ourselves, and also have a Dr.'s apt scheduled that we'll see through. I wish you good luck with the meeting, I know I personally always feel better if I have a "game plan." So, if you're anything like me, I hope you develop a game plan that makes you feel okay with taking a little break & jumping back in later to overcome those hurdles. Easier said than done, I know, but I wish you the best.
  • @TravelingCouple yes. Ugh. 
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• edited August 2017
    @anniemarie1289 Welcome and I'm sorry you find yourself here. There are many ladies on here with different diagnoses and several with male factor IF so you are definitely not alone. We can all relate to feelings of anger, bitterness, rage and wondering wtf we've ever done to deserve the world of IF so you're not alone there either. I'm glad you're seeking treatment and it seems like you already have a plan in place. I'm sorry your first IUI was not successful. My first IUI last month was also unsuccessful. I'm in the TWW of my second IUI now. Does your RE think another try or two at IUI is worth it before IVF?

I think your second message is missing a tag for the person you are replying to. To tag, type the @ and then the screen name of who you want to tag.

@KristoKekerooni :( Well hopefully a progesterone supplement will help?
  • @KristoKekerooni I'm so sorry about the progesterone results. I sometimes feel like what's point in doing all this isht to get pregnant if I can't get my progesterone high enough to stay pregnant. I'm here if you ever need to talk.

Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KristoKekerooni I like that the drops, instead of being actual progesterone, signal your body to make it.  Off to google that..

• edited August 2017
    @Redpuma119 - It's interesting. I'm remaining skeptical for now. It is USP, which is comforting. I think theoretically it could work on people with "ish" low levels, but with mine so low... I dunno. 

Edit to add: it's called  Progest-Avail
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @KristoKekerooni I'm not finding much.  Is it newer?  It's interesting though because my RE won't prescribe progesterone shots, but this seems different.   (I haven't decided if it's him or his nurse who is the idiot.)
  • @Redpuma119 - I'm not really sure... I found it on Amazon but I didn't find much in the form of research or anything... just enough to tell me it's at least USP. 

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• Hi all,

introduced myself yesterday on the newbie thread, but this one seems like the right place given where I'm at.

A bit of background: TW, mentions loss. DH and I started TTC last June. I've always been highly irregular (45-60 CDs, occasionally skipping several months at a time), but my MDs always told me that was fine, and not to worry about it. I've always been quite thin (runs in the family), and I think they attributed it to my weight, not acknowledging that there might be an underlying issue, despite my recurring experience of severe, sharp pain in my left abdomen.. Stopped BC 6/1/16, WFAF for 3 months (MD said they wouldn't jumpstart for 90 days). Then, a surprise BFP in early September! Followed, heartbreakingly, by a MC a month later at 8 weeks. Since then I've only had three cycles. Started working with a RE in June. HSG looked good on my right side, but showed a very narrow path and no spill in my left tube. RE wants to wait & try a few cycles of letrozole before doing a laparoscopy. 

Diagnosis (If you've been): oligomenorrhea.. RE thinks possible PCOS and probable endometriosis.

Cycle/CD: 5/26

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): TWW

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?) A bit of both. HSG and US earlier this cycle, 2.5 letrozole CD 4-8.

How are things going? On my first cycle of letrozole. OV ~CD 19-21, and progesterone was 18.5 on CD 25. DH results came back 2 weeks ago with flying colors, and while I'm thrilled, he keeps boasting about how strong and plentiful his guys are.. Which just makes me feel broken. I've let him know that, and at the time he gets it, but like a big dumb happy puppy, the next time he remembers his results, he gets excited and braggy again. I deal with things I have no control (or limited control) over by learning everything I can, and obsessively preparing for every possible outcome. DH is also information driven, but is comforted more by optimism than preparedness. So he likes to say things like, 'I feel great about this cycle! I definitely think you're pregnant!' Meanwhile I'm reading embryology textbooks and SS like a fiend, but trying not to let myself hope until I get a BFP. 

Any questions? So, my left tube is mostly blocked, but I also almost always OV on my left side. RE says that eggs from one side can travel through the opposite tube.. But I don't have a good sense of whether that's like, a miracle of science/journal article can, or an off-menu burger topping can. Do any of you have any experienced with this, or know someone who has? 

GTKY: What are your favorite stores for purchasing clothing? JCrew, Kate Spade. 
    Me: 33, DH: 36
    Married and TTC since 6/2016
  • AlohaKumu  Do you wear compression socks on flights? My sister had to start doing that and it helps her immensely.
    @dpjennifer I wear compression socks almost continuously throughout the day, every day, but especially on flights.
    @lizeybee I'm sorry you find yourself here, but this is a fantastic group of women. I just listened to a podcast on Beat Infertility where they ("they" meaning actual medical doctors) talked about women who did get pregnant when eggs go from one tube to the other side, even though a tube was damaged or completely missing. Obviously it decreases the odds a bit, but it's certainly not impossible.
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • @BusinessWife oh I get it, that makes complete sense now!!! After @adirat explanation and your post I get the testing and reason for pgs now. I'm crossing my fingers so hard for perfect embies for a full family for you and YH. I love that you want to transfer all  <3
  • @beachbunnyxo123 That sounds like a great plan, we are pretty much in the same boat as far as timeline. Hopefully we won't even have to make the decision about IVF!
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • @beachbunnyxo123 sounds like a great plan! I hope you like this new clinic! And +1 for a lady boner for @adirat's mind.  :)
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018

• @beachbunnyxo123 Sounds like a great plan! Fx you get KU before, but if not, thats approximately (assuming these G-D cysts stop popping up and being life-ruiners) when we would be starting IVF too!

@BusinessWife and @adirat good to know about the PGS. My H and I want to have it done to ours if we make it to that point because like Lauren Conrad, I mean, @BusinessWife we want to try to avoid as much heartbreak as possible and if we can discard non-viable embryos, we can at least avoid that piece of heartbreak
  • edited August 2017
    So here's another piece of the pgs thing to chew on... 1) We have to have specific instructions NOT TO IMMEDIATELY DESTROY non-viable embryos.  We want the full report on everything in the off chance any are worth retesting due to possible mosaicism or IDK what. But we want to take it one step at a time.  Usually anything non viable is just immediately discarded, so if you don't want that to happen, you need to say so. Early and often.  Fx that part goes as planned when the time comes.

2) another point my doctor brought to light is that any PGS tested Downs embryos will <b>not</b> be transferred.  Ever.  Not without sending them to a different facility and a whole rigamarole.  I figure we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.  I mean most couples, even if say you had 7 normal frosties and one with downs, you're going to start with the normies, maybe have two or three and destroy or put for research or adoption any/all remaining unused embryos. And it's strange how my understanding of a lot of this stuff has evolved as I've been faced with it head on. Without going "there" for now, say even after testing 10 we were to end up with 3 viable frosties - 2 normies and 1 with downs, I'm sure we would transfer the two normies first and then, if it came to it, we might have to fight to bring our third baby into the world.  Idk. Not going to dwell on it tho since it may never happen.  *typos

TL;DR How I've come to think of IVF from a Catholic perspective. *TW*

<div class="Spoiler">Now for the philosophical/ethical part....
    I think for Catholics the biggest objection - and there are several - is the "killing of innocent life," part which, I do feel to a certain extent comes from an intentionally un-informed position. There are vast differences between *********TW******** murdering a child, abortion, not transferring potentially viable embryos, and discarding non-viable embryonic cell matter.  *********/TW*********

Like that's the part that you can't even have a conversation with some people if you can't get past that point.  The abnormal embryos cannot become people.  It would be lovely if every combination of sperm+egg=offspring, but that's just not the case, and that's okay.  It happens in nature all the time.  Just because it happened to occur in the lab setting doesn't mean the same result wouldn't have happened irl. Sperm+egg maybe get far enough to fertilize, (or not!  Bc with ICSI omg you are truly creating the possibility for life where there was NONE, so seriously) and if in "Nature," it would have been a chemical or mc or not even, I don't see that particular bit of biological matter as particularly precious.  It is only because of the HOPES we lay on that meeting of sperm+egg, and the trouble we went to to get that to happen!!!  But if it didn't work out in that particular instance, it would not have worked out in nature, and we might never have even known.  That's where I think a lot of Catholics will not even learn enough about IVF to get to that point.  And why I think doing PGS is important to me, because there is a fundamental difference imho between tested normals and tested abnormals. (Not getting into any grey areas of retesting or mosaicism or whatever here.)

There are other objections too, which I won't get into them all here, but suffice it to say, we would hope to be able to give all our viable embies a shot at life in my own womb, if at all possible.  I know a lot of couples may say that going in, have or two, and realize they are done.  I think that may be an easier choice to make too tho, <i>without PGS</i> in a way, I could see.  Because let's say you have 8 untested frosties.  Or 5. Whatever. If we have not tested them, it's easier to maybe say, "we have no idea if they are even viable.  We could keep trying transfers, rolling the dice each time, or we can just call it where we are and no great loss bc hello!  X No. Outside babies here!!!" Whereas if a couple were to have 3 PGS normal - potentially viable - embryos waiting, for me it feels more important to go back and give them a shot, because the odds are much greater that a pgs tested embryo will produce a live birth. For me, I'd feel like I have to go back in there and get my babies!!!  Like if I have 7 kids trapped in a housefire, and we got out 3 so far, I am not going to tell the firefighters okay, we are good. Lol. I know it's not the same, and forgive me anyone who may personally feel differently, but anyway - as a Catholic - that is how I have come to wrap my head around this thing. It is all a series of medical procedures.  Like any other health issues, you would go to the doctor - to the Best doctor you could find! - and get treated. The fact that it hopefully will result in producing our babies makes it even MORE important that we seek treatment, bc it's not even our own lives at stake - it's the lives of our future children.  So it's tough and I haven't been back to Church yet or talked to a Priest, but God forgive us if getting the doctors' help here is wrong. Because my feeble human brain can't comprehend how it could be anything but miraculous!</div><p>
    </p>
  • @adirat That is exactly what I was thinking. Chart is in spoiler. CHs were solid until I added the progesterone today. There's is a chance O was CD 19. A lot of the time I O the same day as my positive opk, and I had some cramping that evening.

Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KariAnn323 you could have O'd on CD 19 and had a fall-back rise....orrrr on CD 21. Lol. I don't know if there will be any definitive answer for you until you get AF, so then you can interpret the BW
  • @50Wife FX Friday is it!