December 2017 Moms

Heart palpitations at 20weeks and kinda concerned

Today I am 20 weeks and for the past week, every day, I have been experiencing heart palpitations multiple times a day. Whenever it starts up I become out of breath as well, I have to inhale really deeply a few times and even then it feels like I'm not getting enough air into my lungs. This literally happens at the most random times of the day, whether I'm calmly sitting watching tv, in a store, or before bed. I don't know if it's normal or if it's something I should be worried about. It's very uncomfortable and is making me uneasy and restless every time it starts up. I don't know what to do.

Re: Heart palpitations at 20weeks and kinda concerned

• I would contact your doctor and voice your concerns. A professional is needed in this case- not internet opinions. I hope all is well!
  • Call your doctor and ask :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Calling tomorrow in the morning, thank you guys!
  • Yup I agree with above. Random, one off palpitations like your heart skips a beat here and there or has an extra beat here and there are completely normal. But if you are having other symptoms and the palpitations are continuing for more than a beat or two I'd definitely bring it to the attention of your doctor. Your electrolytes could be out of whack or your heart could just be irritated by the stress of pregnancy. Definitely warrants further investigation. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ChelK3ChelK3 member
    I've been having this exact same experience. I had these all throughout my life, and any time I've brought it up to a Dr. they go, "hmm, let me take a listen." Listen to my heart for about a minute, and then go, "well, everything sounds fine to me!" They were very sporatic, sometimes I'd go months without having one, up until the last week (I'm 19 weeks, 3 days today). They seem to be happening all the time now. They are very painful. I'll mention it to my Dr. but I'm not expecting much feedback. This is all to say, it must not be very important/concerning since Drs. Don't seem to be worried about it!
  • I had a racing heart sometimes with my first baby and occasionally with this one as well.  Definitely check with your doc but for me it just turned out to be 'one of those weird pregnancy things'.

• Agree with above. With my first pregnancy, I had similiar issues and OB referred me to cardiologist who made me wear a heart monitor for a few days. Turns out everything was ok with me, but If you are concerned and it keeps happening, I would def push to at least consult with a cardiologist 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• This happened with my first pregnancy. My midwife said it's the biggest complaint she hears at 20 weeks and it's totally normal because baby is starting to squish your organs. It's happening again with this pregnancy as well. I wouldn't worry. 
  • NME44NME44 member
    I agree that heart palpitations are a normal part of pregnancy, but as frequent as you are describing along with difficulty breathing (and @ChelK3, painful) then it is something that should be looked at. You can wear a monitor for a week so a cardiologist can see what's going on.

pregnancy is stressful on the body. It absolutely can cause issues with your heart and you don't want to ignore these things. In an extreme case, I know of one patient who developed congestive heart failure Bc her heart couldn't handle the extra blood flow (of course she had issues like obesity and diabetes prior to pregnancy that contributed.) I am NOT suggesting that's what's going on here, but I am suggesting you should get this looked at.