February 2018 Moms

Nausea with prenatal vitamin

anyone else find they are nausea/have vomiting with their prenatal vitamins? 

If so, what have you done to help combat it, and what prenatal are you taking? 

Thanks 
Me:28 (PCOS, DOR), DH: 32 (low morphology)
TTC since March 2012
2013-2014 - 6 rounds of Clomid - BFNs
3 failed IUIs in 2015
October 2015 - wait listed for IVF #1
IVF #1 March 2016 - bfn, zero frosties!
Femara cycle 1 May 2016 - POAS starting May 21st / beta testing May 25th....

Re: Nausea with prenatal vitamin

• I've had that same issue. I take mine right after I'm done eating dinner. I have to take with food or I feel terrible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Absolutely you must take it with food!
    Any vitamins that have metals or minerals ( copper, iron, magnesium etc) will certainly hurt your stomach if it is near empty. 
    Take it directly after a meal with plenty of water. Or take it with a nice snack before bed.
     If after that it still upsets your stomach, consider switching to a different brand. Sometimes a soft gel will do better than a firm pill
  • Yep I second all of these! I switched mine to after dinner/before bed, made all the difference! 
  • kahlya88kahlya88 member
    edited July 2017
    I have a morning & night vitamin, morning recommends an empty stomach and no food for 1 hour before or after. The nighttime pill is with food. They're split so the calcium and iron aren't together maximizing absorption. If I don't have an entire bottle of water with the morning vitamin it does make me sick. Try drinking as much as you can when taking it and hopefully that helps!
  • I switched to a gummy without iron. I tried at night and with meals, and the nausea was still bad, so I gave up. At least the gummy has the extra calcium and folate!
  • I second gummies. I'm still a child at 35 and regular vitamins, prenatal or not, make me sick.
  • I take the costco prenatal's at bedtime with a cup of milk.  They are a once a day gelcap with dha.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • My prenatals are good based and include ginger in it. I believe that helps. Agreed with taking at night!  
  • I try to take mine in the middle of the day when my nausea isn't as bad.
  • ladybug0088ladybug0088 member
    edited July 2017
    My OB told me I had to have the iron (my current gummy didn't have it) and none of the gummies I found have that so she told me to take 2 Flintstone vitamins instead of the gummies.

Edited for spelling. Mobile bumping problems.

• hr1116hr1116 member
    I take elevit, a lot of people say it makes their nausea worse and I've heard the blackmores pregnancy vitamin is a lot better in regards to sickness! I may have to switch too
  • My midwife gave me a prescription for just folic acid. I have no time used it yet as I found switching to bedtime made I think more tolerable, but I have I tried just in switching did not work. She said that my diet was covering just about everything else and she was only concerned about the folic acid. 
  • I have always had to eat something with any kind of vitamin. Otherwise, it's a bad time! It's my first pregnancy, but I've actually been taking prenatal vitamins since 2008 (except now I'm taking ones with DHA).
    Don't laugh, but remember that movie, Juno, where her stepmom owns a nail salon? That's why I started taking the prenatals! For my nails! I later switched it up and took biotin instead, but it didn't last long...my hair---everywhere---was growing too fast
  • I guess it cut me off...I had another paragraph! Lol
  • edited July 2017
    I have always taken multi vitamins with dinner and tummy is good. 

Not related to nausea but wanted to share bc I think this is so messed up:
    when I was TTC I started prenatal vitamins and I bought the cheapest kind, which were Kroger brand. Started having burning pee and urgency exactly like a UTI and after a week finally realized it was the vitamins!! Apparently they had too much ascorbic acid (vitamin C source). WTF. now I take Nature Made don't buy the cheap ones