March 2018 Moms
Options

Fitness Friday Check-in 7/28

Checking in with all of you to hear the successes and share the challenges! It won't always be easy, but it will be worth it!

How did you do for activity this past week?

What are your bright points (celebrations big and small)?

What are your challenges?

What helps you keep going? A mantra? A mix? A person? Share your inspiration to stay active!

What's your plan this coming week?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fitness Friday Check-in 7/28

• Options
    Hey all! I also find it helpful to read reminders about activity during pregnancy for me to stay on track, and it always helps to have a tip or two about different exercises to try! In addition to your post, feel free to share any links or excerpts that you've found helpful, inspirational, or informative :smiley:

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/exercise-during-pregnancy/

Excerpt:
    Exercising for 30 minutes on most, or all, days can benefit your health during pregnancy. Exercising for just 20 minutes, 3 or 4 days a week, is still beneficial, as well. The important thing is to be active and get your blood flowing.

Some of the benefits:
    • Helps reduce backachesconstipation, bloating, and swelling
    • May help prevent, or treat, gestational diabetes
    • Increases your energy
    • Improves your mood
    • Improves your posture
    • Promotes muscle tone, strength, and endurance
    • Helps you sleep better
    • Regular activity also helps keep you fit during pregnancy and may improve your ability to cope with labor. This will make it easier for you to get back in shape after your baby is born.

• Options
    How did you do for activity this past week? Some wins and some non-wins :smile: I did my regular workouts, but I didn't get in the pool at all like I wanted.

What are your bright points (celebrations big and small)? Celebration was that I got three good runs in this week, and three days of lifting.

What are your challenges? Challenge was that I really wanted to do 2 pool workouts this week because I don't want to lose what I had when training for the triathlon. I find it much harder to be motivated to go jump in a pool when I'm already showered and ready for the day. Maybe that's my problem. I need to stop showering? 

What helps you keep going? A mantra? A mix? A person? Share your inspiration to stay active! My DH makes workout mixes for me. I'm probably due for a new one, but I love the songs I have right now. I ran this morning with the sunrise, and it was cooler than it's been all week. I enjoyed the me time and just thinking about things that happened this week and what's to come this weekend.

What's your plan this coming week? Get in the pool. Once. At least. Beyond that, it's going to be tricky with my regular workouts because we have a family trip Wednesday through Sunday. I will be able to do my runs, but I'm not sure what the rest of my workouts will look like. If anything, I will make sure to do at least a 30 minute walk each day during the trip.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Really well! I got a 25 minute walk in every night, plus most days I also did a lot of walking around on campus as I did all the little things to move out of my office, return keys, day goodbye to people, etc. This weekend we're moving so there will be more incidental exercise! 

Fitbit is telling me that I've been more active this week since being pregnant than I have been all summer - hah

I definitely get tired and out of breath more easily than normal, but walks are enjoyable, so it's okay. 

What helps you keep going? A mantra? A mix? A person? Share your inspiration to stay active!
    None of this stuff works on me. As soon as the fatigue hits, it will be couch time until it passes. 

Keep doing what I'm doing and hope that the fatigue doesn't hit until we're successfully moved in to our temporary location of my parents' house. 
  • Options
    Not that great :(  Fatigue and my DS (almost 2yrs old) got the best of me most days. I will say on a positive note I did one day where I started my First Trimester DVD (moms into fitness) that I bought with my first pregnancy.  I also went for a 1 mile walk on lunch the other day at work up a hill.

We are headed to Boston this weekend to take DS to the zoo...so that will be more walking and stroller pushing to keep me moving!

Time...Fatigue...Nausea...Fatigue  It is so hard to find the time lately to do anything extra now that we found out I am pregnant. I am trying hard to MAKE time.  Also, after the 1 mile walk and the dvd I was so out of breath that is definitely different for me.

MY pregnant with my DS I tried to stay active and eat healthy and he is one healthy BIG boy! I keep telling myself to try and do the same for this little one and keep both of us in great shape inside and out.  I know staying fit and healthy during pregnancy will help me keep up with a toddler and a baby come baby's arrival.

Since I just found the DVD's for the First Trimester on Thursday this week...my plan for next week is to follow the schedule and fit in the DVD or a walk at work every day next week. Also, I want to make sure I keep up with my weekly dinner schedule to keep it healthy and maybe focus more on the snacks in the house.  The nausea and the groceries currently in the house are resulting in BAD snacking decisions just to curb the nausea... Need to start to really focus (as much as I can without getting sick ugh)
  • Options
    day38day38 member
    edited July 2017
    Fairly well. I've done 3 45-55 min workout classes, and have one more scheduled for Sunday bringing me to 4 this week. Before I got pregnant I was trying very hard to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight from DS, and I just made it at the same time as I got pregnant pretty much. But, I was also working out 6 days a week which I don't have the energy for anymore. So, my 4 is a win :-)

I survived a really high energy zumba class even though my fatigue was through the roof that evening.

I'm so tired and it's hard to get going. Plus, some evenings my nausea makes it hard to do anything where I'm facing down (like a plank).

I found that I can't self motivate to get up and work out, I have to sign up for a class. Luckily, I found a fitness studio that also does virtual classes (it's like a video conference where the instructor is doing it live as are the participants) that works with my crazy schedule since I can do it at home without a babysitter. Anyway, if I sign up for classes ahead of time I rarely cancel (and I can only do it w/ 4 hours notice without a penalty), so that keeps me motivated to actually work out.

Also, I gained about 10 lbs of pizza/ice cream weight from not eating well the last 1-1.5 months with DS that it took me 2 years to lose. I do NOT want to go through that again. All the weight I had gained before when I was eating nutritious food I managed to lose fairly easily.

This week will be harder because my son is starting daycare, but I still want to get 3-4 classes in.

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ok, I decided I am not going to be able to go to my workout classes anymore because I push myself too hard in that competitive setting and I am not supposed to be working too hard. It was a hard decision but one I know I need to do until I get the OK from my midwife. 

After I decided not to go to my workout classes I got pretty down, but my best friend suggested we do a beachbody on demand workout together (she lives an hour away so not really together). It helped me get back into it and we started Shift Shop. I'm modifying everything but at least I'm working out! 

It's really hard for me to take it slow, but I know I need to for this baby so I will 

It's honestly the only thing I do for myself so I look forward to it everyday. If I didn't, I think I would go a little nutty! 

continue on with Shift Shop and take my dog on a 2 mile walk with DS in the morning before it gets hot :) 
  • Options
    day38day38 member
    @arhodes6 I called my midwife to ask about what I can/cannot do and they told me no restrictions for now (and to follow what my body is telling me). The plan is to discuss in more detail at my first appointment, but for now they're comfortable with me continuing with whatever I was doing beforehand without modifications. If you haven't asked your midwife yet, I'd recommend calling. You might be okay with doing a lot more than you think.

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @day38 I have had bleeding and spotting issues and am now on progesterone supplements as well. That's why I have restrictions :( thanks for thinking of me though! I plan to jump right back into the swing of things when I get the OK! 
  • Options
    day38day38 member
    edited July 2017
    @arhodes6 as I was writing the message I was thinking there might be an underlying reason for restrictions. Hopefully you get the okay soon!

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @arhodes6 I love Beachbody on demand! I haven't done much with it lately but I'm hoping to get back into it soon!
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 Since April 2014
    Me: 27 | DH: 31
    08/2006 - Laparoscopy/Stage 1 Endo
    10/2014 - Bloodwork normal, HSG all clear
    10/2014 - DH's SA 15mil/mL, 35% motility, 6% morphology
    BFP #1: 12/29/14 | EDD: 9/9/15

• Options
    I made it to the pool today! After a big fail last week of not even going once even though my plan was to go twice, I made it to the pool today for a good swim workout. It felt amazing. I think just posting keeps me accountable because lawd knows I didn't want to come back again and say I missed out two weeks in a row!

• Options
    @hollyk224 the new Shift Shop one is fun but also a great workout, even modified 

@LiveNLove44 good for you! I'm jealous, I felt terrible today and had MS all morning so I didn't do anything :( 
  • Options
    I've been awful this week my moms been visiting and I didn't run all week. Hoping to get back on track tomorrow. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    Hooray @LiveNLove44! I would love to use the pool during this pregnancy! There's a pool at my work's fitness center, it's just difficult to make the time work for me and my daughter's school schedule. 

@jerseygirl9090: Bad weeks happen. This week is a new week! 

Other running momma: Do you get really crampy after runs or is this a sign I should take it easier? I've dropped from 4-6 miles to 3 and slowed my place already. 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    Thanks, @notthefather! And my experience with cramps, and consequently BH contractions during/after a run, is that they usually correlate with dehydration and/or overheating. Instead of doing my typical out-and-back routes, I started doing loops near my house. I think my "loop" is like 1.3 miles and then I grab some water, do another loop, grab some water, etc. I kept my mileage up during this time by doing it that way. I dropped my mileage to about a 5 k in the third trimester due to it being more related to weight and cervical pressure. I experienced it more during my second pregnancy than in my first, and I anticipate I'll have it more this time than I did during my second.

I've already created a long loop and a short loop because I'm trying to be proactive with the hydration. If you run on a treadmill though, I suppose it's a bit easier to drink more water throughout. 

• Options
    @jerseygirl9090 I'm going to have that same challenge this week when my family arrives. They'll be here for a night, and then we're headed out on a trip together for the rest of the week. Workouts during family visits and trips are challenging! Give yourself a new day to start up again. Each day is a chance to get your goals checked off the list! GL!

• Options
    Thank you @LiveNLove44! It was actually a bit cooler today but dehydration makes sense. I really appreciate your response. 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    I am sooooo embarrassed. I did awful this past week. I did not work out at all! **hangs head in shame**

What are your bright points(celebrations big and small)?
    Other than the arm curls I did to lift a fork to my mouth, none!

My SO's parents where in town visiting and we were constantly on the go showing them around. I found myself super tired and not wanting to do any exercise. He's a little lazy, so he was not much a motivator to say the least. Lol. 

The mantra I plan to use this week is: "If I do not get busy, I will have to be air lifted to the hospital when I go into labor." Lol. Seriously, I think I will simply keep in mind how great I feel after a workout compared to how crappy I feel right now. 

I plan to run at least 2-3 times this week and go to barre classes at least 2 times this week.
  • Options
    @notthefather I ran during my first pregnancy (not long runs, just 1-2 miles), and when I ran the turkey trot 5k at around 18 weeks, in cold weather, I got this awful leg cramp half way through that didn't go away until hours after the race. That was my first and only leg cramp. I didn't run again until around 8 weeks post partum.
  • Options

I am so stoked! I finally got a little energy back to go to the gym! I worked out Friday and Saturday! Of course my legs are sooooo sore now, lol. It's been a few weeks.

I was able to RX the workout (RX - use the prescribed weight) at 105 lbs for power cleans. I felt like I hadn't missed a beat by being gone a few weeks. I also didn't have the urge to throw up, not even while running!

Starting over. Yes, I had energy to kill some of the workout but at the same time I feel like I'm beginning again. Mainly just the recovery from workouts. I'm more sore than I've ever been and I can't take creatine to recover, so recovery is longer than normal.

My box (aka gym) members. Crossfit is fully derived on being a community and boy did I miss it! My husband suggested we start going to the YMCA or Planet Fitness but I told him NO! The community is what makes me motivated and I love spending time with them on top of getting a kick ass workout in!

To make it to the gym at least 3 times this week and once this weekend. Time to get back on track! Squats are going to be my open gym time since they will help with birth (from what I hear.)