1st Trimester
Options

Trigger Warning - Abnormal Pregnancy

Went in to clinic in early June. They saw a "nice follicle" (I normally only have 1-2 = reduced ovarian reserve) and instructed us to trigger and have IC. If I didn't start my period in 14 days, take a HPT. Got my period 11 days later (my cycles are normally around 21 days). Didn't take HPT. Switched to clinic to start IVF. They did the ultrasounds, put me on clomid and injectables and retrieved an egg (just 1) at the end of June. I never got my period in July. I went in. Doc was convinced it was a cyst. Had me take a PT anyway = positive. Apparently, I was pregnant DURING the egg retrieval (no sex, IUI or egg transfer since early June, period in mid June, IVF ER at end of June). Because I responded to the clomid and because my HSG is rising (but not doubling - increased by about 30%) he's convinced my pregnancy is abnormal. He thought I would MC 2 weeks ago, but nugget is holding on. Doc thinks I should take meds to deliberately miscarry. My instinct is to hold out, see if nature takes it's course, and do a genetic test at 10 weeks to see if there is an abnormality. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Re: Trigger Warning - Abnormal Pregnancy

• Options
    I don't have any experience, but I would go with your gut about not ending the pregnancy. As long as baby has a heartbeat they can't know that hope is lost. 
  • Options
    https://forums.thebump.com/categories/trouble-ttc

I would ask this in the infertility board. You may get better answers there 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Went in to clinic in early June. They saw a "nice follicle" (I normally only have 1-2 = reduced ovarian reserve) and instructed us to trigger and have IC. If I didn't start my period in 14 days, take a HPT. Got my period 11 days later (my cycles are normally around 21 days). Didn't take HPT. Switched to clinic to start IVF. They did the ultrasounds, put me on clomid and injectables and retrieved an egg (just 1) at the end of June. I never got my period in July. I went in. Doc was convinced it was a cyst. Had me take a PT anyway = positive. Apparently, I was pregnant DURING the egg retrieval (no sex, IUI or egg transfer since early June, period in mid June, IVF ER at end of June). Because I responded to the clomid and because my HSG is rising (but not doubling - increased by about 30%) he's convinced my pregnancy is abnormal. He thought I would MC 2 weeks ago, but nugget is holding on. Doc thinks I should take meds to deliberately miscarry. My instinct is to hold out, see if nature takes it's course, and do a genetic test at 10 weeks to see if there is an abnormality. Does anyone have any experience with this? 
    Also QFP.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I agree that it doesn't make sense. So does my doctor. That's why I posted this. I'm going crazy. We had sex on 6/11. Period from 6/15 - 6/20. We started seeing the new fertility doctor when I started that period. He did not see anything in the ultrasounds but he says he wouldn't have at that point because I was too early on. Then we started taking clomid, gonal, menopur and ganirelux around that same time. We were doing the regular ultrasounds. He either wasn't able to or just didn't see that I was pregnant. He originally saw follicles in both ovaries around 6/26. We did the retrieval on 6/28. He came into the recovery room and said they only got one egg because I ovulated early. He was frustrated and quizzed us about medication dosages and did we follow the appropriate schedule when taking them. My husband is a nurse and we followed those instructions to the letter. The doctor now thinks that the reason I ovulated early is because my body was already putting out HSG. I'm not confused about what he said. He also asked if we had sex around the time of the retrieval - we didn't. We were spending $10k on the meds and retrieval procedure... we weren't going to go rogue and try to get pregnant on our own right before the retrieval. Part of the reason he thinks that the pregnancy is abnormal is because I ovulated while I was pregnant. He thinks that means that the development was so delayed that my body wasn't quite registering that I was pregnant and was ovulating and reacting to the clomid. But, then I don't know how to square that with the fact that I was pregnant enough to ovulate early in spite of the meds regulating exactly when that's supposed to happen. It's never good when your doctor keeps telling you how "interesting" you are. Instead, I just feel frustrated. I have only two HCG measurements. 7/20 - 3858 mIU/mL and then on 7/24 - 5099 mIU/mL. On 7/24, the gestational sac was visible and measured 5mm. I am going back to Kaiser next week for the first prenatal visit that's not with the private fertility clinic. They've gotten all the records from my private doctor, so I guess we'll see. Yes, he suggested that I take something on 7/24 to deliberately miscarry. I told him we'd rather it happen on its own or wait, do genetic testing and then go from there.  
  • Options
    This was the private fertility clinic recommended by my fertility doctor at Kaiser. We went to Kaiser for IUIs, but they told us we were not a good IVF candidate for their protocol. Apparently, they make you take the pill while you wait for IVF and that's no good for people like me who have reduced ovarian reserve. Now that I'm pregnant (at least for now), I'm back at Kaiser. So, I'm seeing another doctor about whether or not we should induce a termination. 
  • Options
    Thanks, Kiki75. This was our first round of IVF egg retrieval, so it was hard for us to really evaluate what was "normal" and what wasn't. Of course, I feel like I have more questions than answers at this point. It's also hard to be excited about finally getting pregnant when the doctor is SO SURE it's abnormal. He seems to have zero doubt. 
  • Options
    Ditto!! 
  • Options
    I don't even understand how it was possible to make you ovulate when you were already pregnant. That is so weird. My clinic always did a blood HCG at the end of every medicated cycle whether I started my period or not. How far along are you supposed to be now? I am guessing they want you to terminate because all of the medications and procedures likely would have some ill affects on the pregnancy, but I would go with your instincts, always. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just got back from the doctor. Looks like I am miscarrying. At least I don't have to make the decision since nature decided to do that for me. 
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear that. I'm glad you won't have lingering doubts, though. Take care of yourself. If/when you're ready to try again, I'd still look for a second opinion. I know you may be somewhere where the REs are scarce but I think it's worth it. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18