Infertility

Scheduling IUI around work

Not sure if anybody has been in this situation before, but I could use some insight.

I work from home, and my boss plans on coming into town next week to visit with me. He has asked me to schedule a few customer meetings for us to attend together as well. Of course, all this falls on the same week I am expecting to schedule my first IUI. I will not have any clue when this IUI could take place until this Saturday, when I go in for monitoring, but by then it will be too late to schedule my customers. The nurse said that she doesn't expect me to be ready for the IUI until later in the week but there is a chance it could be earlier.

Should I aim to schedule my meetings early in the week and hope that the nurse is right? FWIW, my boss is aware I am having a "small medical procedure" done and he has been super flexible with me about it, but I can't figure out how to work the meetings.

Re: Scheduling IUI around work

• Can you schedule them in the afternoon? Usually at my clinic they do the procedures in the morning, and the IUI takes half an hour tops...
    DOR (FSH 13, AMH 0.48, AFC 6-9)
    IVF #1 -2016 March, antagonist, 5 eggs, 2 fertilized, 3DT - 8 cell and 6 cell no frag, chemical pregnancy
    IVF #2 - 2016 June, micro dose lupron, 3 eggs, 1 fertilized, 3DT 6 cell, BFN
    IVF #3 - 2016 November, estrogen priming + antagonist, 9 follicles, 3 eggs, none fertilized
    IVF #4 - 2017 March, testosterone priming + micro dose lupron, 2 eggs, none fertilized
    IVF #5 - 2017 May, A/ACP protocol, 4 follicles out of 7 seemed to get to required size, ovulated before retrieval, converted into IUI - BFN
    IVF #6 - 2017 July, A/ACP protocol, 3 follicles one stopped growing, LH rising, converted to IUI - BFN
    IVF #7 - 2017 September, antagonist, 5 follicles, 6 eggs,  3 immature, 3 injected, 1 fertilized, stopped growing day 3
  • I'd say the same thing as @marioana99. My clinic does all the IUIs in the morning and the latest I was ever there was 11:30. Try to schedule all the meetings in the afternoon, and maybe earlier in the week if you can. If you end up having to do an IUI on a day you have meetings, explain that you can't be in the clinic after x time and ask if they can accommodate you so you're done before then. We had problems with my H's schedule sometimes and they were always able to work with us, even though it meant showing up at 7:15am. :-) Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • meredithj123meredithj123 member
    edited July 2017
    Have you thought about telling your boss your your undergoing infertility treatment? I struggled with the same issues and ended up telling mine because I felt irresponsible for the perceived notion that I did not know about procedures or testing until he Day before. Turns out he's super supportive and now I don't need to feel bad about it since he understands the senesitive timing of it all
  • I guess I didn't elaborate to my boss because he isn't really the problem. I told him this procedure was "based on blood test results" and that's why I didn't know what was up and he just accepted that. The problem is trying to schedule meetings with other people and risking having to cancel or reschedule. However I like the answers the others gave! I am going to try to get in as early as possible, and hopefully avoid a conflict. 
  • Definitely check with your clinic about what time they do IUIs. My clinic did IUIs at 11 and 2 so I was able to make sure I would be free around those times for the week my IUI was anticipated.