July 2017 Moms
Options

Csection moms with toddlers

Those of you that have had csections with toddlers at home how long did you wait before picking up your toddler? This is my 3rd csection but my son was 2.5yo when my daughter was born so lifting him wasn't that big of an issue because he slept in a regular bed and could climb in and out of his car seat. This time my daughter is 1.5yo and I'm 2 weeks post csection and have had help but am ready to get rid of guests lol My daughter is still in a crib so without help here I'd have to lift her in and out of the crib and in and out of the car. I was told to wait 6 weeks but that just isn't reasonable. I can't have out of town guests staying with me for 6 weeks. So how long did you wait?

Re: Csection moms with toddlers

• Options
    LM1007LM1007 member
    To be honest, I'm 5days post (2nd csection) and I've started lifting my son today. He's 21mo & weights about 23-25lbs. 
    Maybe I shouldn't be lifting him so soon... but I can't help certain times, and I don't feel like I'm straining anything so I think I'm good. But even so for the most part, he climbs in and out of bed, car seat and such..
    If you feel okay and no longer so sore I think it'd be okay.. if not then don't over do yourself. But I think 6 weeks is a little much. 
  • Options
    CejimlCejiml member
    TTM having my RCS next Wednesday, I was told previously not to lift anything heavier than the baby for 2 weeks. As long as there isn't anything wrong with your incision I'd think you would be fine to lose the guests. My daughter was 3 when I had my second but my son now is 18 months so like you. I'll have lots of help over the first couple of weeks but after that it's me and the kiddos. Hope all is smooth for you going forward.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    3rd RCS in 3 weeks. My youngest is 4 so shouldnt have a problem this time but with my last one my middle son was only 11 months old. So he was definitely still in a crib. I didn't have much help except my husband when he wasnt at work. Luckily my kids are small so he wasnt too heavy. In and out of the crib was the only time I lifted him though I believe. After about 2 weeks I was lifting him for other things as well. 

Really it also depends on how your recovery is going. See how you feel lifting her. Some women would still be in pain with it some wouldnt. Maybe also try having her get on a small stool so shes higher up and you dont have to bend as much.
                           SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I think I lasted about a week before I was carrying around my 14 month old... who was probably about 30+ pounds.  You will know if its too much very quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mslynn2012mslynn2012 member
    edited July 2017
    3rd CS. I only lifted the baby for the first week, maybe 10 days. Since then I've carried baby in the carrier in 1 hand and my 2.5 year old (27 pounds) in the other. I've also lifted my 4 yo (35 pounds). It didn't hurt/wasn't uncomfortable, but if it was I would have stopped immediately. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    2nd c section and I haven't lifted her yet she is around 40# having just turned 3. That and I had to go back into the hospital with complications due to postpartum preeclampsia so I'm not supposed to literally be doing anything :/ but I would say play it by ear and two weeks is probably a good goal to wait for you just don't want to risk opening your incision
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    3rd CS and 10 days PP, still not lifting anything but me and baby. DS1 is 28 pounds, there's no way I could lift him right now, I helped him on my bed the other night and hurt myself. So I'm going to wait the full 3 weeks before I attempt it again.
  • Options
    It is so hard! I had a vaginal first birth and c section for this one and I'm struggling. Would love to hear how people feel. I'm 3 weeks out and still in pain. I feel a burning when I move and it hurts to bend over. Would really like to be more active, play with my toddler etc
  • Options
    I have a 12 month old and had a csection 2 weeks ago. I was picking up my one year old within a week and am carrying him in my ergo around Chicago right now. The pain stopped after a week. I have very easy recoveries, thank God. I can't stand being immobile 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited July 2017
    Edited: 
    wrong post