August 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

Re: Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

• @bumpybump I just told my SIL this afternoon she didn't have to wash them every time. I don't want her to read this with a 4 day old.  

As far as separate wash pans and brushes, I did that with pump parts and bottles. I also sterilized every time and wiped my counters with Clorox religiously 
  • And I had always heard it was safe to keep pump parts in the fridge between uses. I totally get that yku shouldn't just let them soak for hours, but I doubt I will sterilize between every pump. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @lewliv I thought the same exact thing. I bet these new guidelines will lead working moms to stop pumping for fear that they're going to harm baby by not cleaning the parts well enough.

It's also important to note that the baby was born at 29 weeks and had a very weak immune system. That's not to say that we should all use dirty pump parts, but it's definitely an important detail of the story.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @livlew I agree with @secicc12 this baby was very young. By the time you go back to work, your child will be 8-12 weeks. I am not going to lie, I was more careful the first few months because I knew the baby was younger and hadn't built up an immune system. As DS got older, I was less likely to sterilize, etc.

If you are super worried about time, buy two sets of parts. I bought an extra set to help with dry time. I didn't pump at home, so they had time to dry in between work days. 
  • And I had always heard it was safe to keep pump parts in the fridge between uses. I totally get that yku shouldn't just let them soak for hours, but I doubt I will sterilize between every pump. Ain't nobody got time for that!
    That's exactly what I did at work as well! I'm guessing the parts soaking for hours and hours in the sink with other dishes is the real problem in this case. Definitely something to keep in mind!
  • @littlebug2010 I'm not personally sure if it is or not. 

Thanks everyone else for the feed back!
    Me: 34 (Divorced 8-22-16)
    Last Depo: 2-19-13  Stopped BCP completely: 10-13-13
    TTC Starting 4-26-14 Stopped TTC 2-1-16
    Ultrasound found minor PCOS 9-5-15
    BFP with boyfriend 12-7-16 

• lewlivlewliv member
    @Kudlica27 I agree that was a very rare and unlikely situation. I'll keep my pump parts in the fridge and sterilize at home. My baby will be in daycare. The amount of bacteria he/she will be exposed to is unreal. 
  • I was just talking about this with a friend. Sorry, babies, I'm way too lazy to do that. Pump parts in the fridge and hand washing once a day. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    Any STMs successfully figure out if your LO had an allergy/sensitivity that you needed to avoid in your diet? DH was colicy which was likely due to a cow's milk issue. In adulthood, he still has exercise-induced anaphylaxis if he has any cow's milk product including whey protein powder. He's actually fine with cheese made from goat's and sheep's milk. The allergy tests after his 2nd ER trip came back for "beef" but he can eat actual beef just fine. Planning to stay in close communication with our pediatrician on this if it turns out it might be an issue. I love dairy so this would be a significant diet alteration.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 DS had a soy sensitivity. It was pretty clear because he had diarrhea and anal fissures after I ate an entire bag of edamame one night. Once he started solids, I notice the red rash around his mouth if he ate something with soybean oil.  By the time he was 3, he outgrew it. 
  • NxyNxy member
    Got my S1 today!! Got it all cleaned and ready to go. Got to thinking maybe it would fit in my medela PISA tote so I pulled all the stuff out and it fits! It's not perfect but I can definitely make it work. I'm super excited to use this thing!  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got the Medela and it comes with bottles to pump into and store, but I cannot find rings and nipples that go with those bottles. It looks like I have to buy a whole set of Medela bottles and can't get just the rings and nipples.

anyone else have the Medela pump? Are you just using what it came with for storage and then using other bottles for feeding?
  • @kaityrj Amazon has rings and nipples. That's where I got mine
  • @Kaityrj I ended up using the Medela bottles just as storage with my other 2 before either transferring the milk to different bottles or to freezer bags.  The storage bottles fit easily in the cooler bag and were convenient for pumping at work, but I preferred using other bottles for daycare.  I think I may have used the Medela bottles at the beginning a few times, but my kids seemed to like other brands better. I did end up buying extra Medela storage bottles just so I wasn't constantly washing them.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lwhrmommalwhrmomma member
    edited July 2017
    @Kaityrj
    The Medela is compatible with Dr. Browns bottles.  You can attach the bottle and pump directly into it, then the bottle is all set for when you need it.  Or you could pump into the yellow storage bottle, then attach the Dr. Browns nipple.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kaityrj your LO may not like the Medea bottles, so don't go buy a bunch of nipples! Mine did not care for it (we had one nipple we got with a kit.) My LO ended up preferring munchkin latch and avent natural. We got both of these bottles in a registry bag, so we tried both before buying a ton. As for pumping, I pumped in the storage bottles. I found adapters for both (target has one set on clearance) for both, so if my LO prefers another brand I may try those. 

The Good thing is you have time to try pump and try a few bottles before you go back to work and can buy more later. If you received a free bottle in a registry bag, try that first- It's free and costs you nothing to try! 
  • @kaityrj In case you need more help finding compatibility, or anyone else: https://www.theglassbabybottle.com/info_BREASTPUMP.shtml
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Woohoo!  Breast pump is on its way.  Only get the hospital grade pump for 4 months including shipping, but should be able to pick a regular pump after the insurance covered rental is done. Now all I need to find is my pumping bra.  Just ordered bottle nipples today so should be all set if the boobs don't work again.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are breastfeeding covers necessary? Would an infinity scarf work just as well? Any brand recommendations for nice covers that are multifunctional? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• NxyNxy member
    @BlackNYellow that depends on how comfortable you are with nursing pubically without one. 
    I used a crummy boppy brand one last time. I haven't ordered anything new yet but if I decide to it'll probably be a milk snob cover.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with @Nxy it depends on your comfort level. I was never comfortable in public and found that traditional covers made me more self conscious since the sides could just fly up. With a nursing scarf, I felt more secure.  If you aren't self conscious at all, then covers of any sort aren't really necessary. I'm going to try to be more courageous this time around and purchased a lot of nursing tops with panels that lift up. 
  • @BlackNYellow- I would just use a thin muslin blanket because otherwise me and DD would get so HOT. And I had her in the winter so I'm just imagining all the heat already with a summer baby. I was never brave enough to bf without anything. I had an older woman give me dirty looks and make a snide comment when I was bf'ing without a cover in a women's restroom that had a couch/chair area and that kind of scarred me and made me realize how anti-bf'ing some people are. 
  • Thank you @nxy @taylormarie923 @bubblesmtu I do not think I will be comfortable BFing in public or even at my IL's or parent's house. Both are very conservative and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• I used a cheap cover that I got at Target with DS1.  It basically draped over like an apron.  I had to figure out how to be a little more discreet and covered up with DS2 because he hated the nursing cover or having anything over his head.  I didn't really care about other people's reactions.  It was more for my own comfort and not wanting to be too exposed.  Wearing a nursing tank top underneath another top or cardigan helped keep me mostly covered.
  • Flange size: my Spectra came with two sizes (24 & 28). How do I know which to use? Trial and error?
  • @mrsmatt1212 yup, at least that's what I did with my medela. Medela comes in odd sizes. I got a spectra this time. I needed a 27 or 29 with medela which makes me wonder if the 28 will work this time. 

I did find this on the spectra site. If you Google spectra flanges, it will pull up a FAQ page with lots of good info

• @SouthernMama15 @brookedeyo SUPER helpful, thanks ladies!
  • Anyone know how long refrigerated breast milk can be left out at room temperature? Talking about taking previously pumped BM out of the fridge and leaving on the counter or something to come to room temp. I pump after DD feeds since she still needs a supplement after breast feeding. I'm planning to ask my LC on Monday, but wondering if anyone had insight here.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I finally ordered the Spectra pump today.  I used Medela PISA with my other 2 and liked it.  I hope this pump is as good as what I've heard.  If you ordered the Spectra pump, what additional accessories have you ordered or are planning to order?  Are you buying extra shields?  What are you planning on pumping into?  I know you can buy something to make it easier to pump into Medela storage bottles, which is what I used in the past.  

Have you found any particular websites to have a better selection or price for Spectra accessories?
  • @MetsGirl18 I have no clue about anything breastfeeding BUT I did just get my Spectra last week and it came with two bottles to pump into. So I'm assuming you'd pump into those?
  • @MetsGirl18 I have a spectra and found flanges, tubing, backflow etc on Amazon pretty easily.  Im planning on using dr. brown wide mouth bottles which it supposedly fits too. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @mrsmatt1212 Since I will be away from the baby for at least 9-10 hours per day when I eventually go back to work, I'll need more than 2 bottles to pump into.  I can add milk from different pumping sessions to each other, but you're not really supposed to add freshly pumped warm milk to already refrigerated milk.  I had a bunch of Medela storage bottles because it cut down on the constant washing and I'd store milk in them for a few days until I either used it or froze it.

@smallbutmighty77 Thanks!  I'll check out Amazon.  That's convenient that it can pump directly into the Dr. Brown's bottles.
  • @MetsGirl18 through the same medical device distribution company that I got the pump, they sent a list of accessories you could buy. All I've gotten so far is 2 adapters for "normal" bottles (aka anything a medela pump will fit). They were $4 each which was much cheaper than I was able to find on Amazon (but you should order 2 as they are sold as one adapter). One of my friends bought me the medela storage kit (lots of bags, bottles with lids, etc.) off of my registry which will be perfect for building up my stash and pumping into before/when I go back to work. Between the spectra fitting wide neck and these adapters fitting normal bottles, there's just a few "special" brands I can't pump directly into if I want to which I like.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I love the Spectra.  I have been able to use the wide neck Philips Avent bottles with it in addition to the bottles that were included with the Spectra.  It looks like it should be able to attach to most plastic wide neck bottles.  (I have the glass wide neck Dr. Brown's bottles, so the pump cannot attach to them plus they would be too heavy.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Using the hospital pump b/c at 24hrs baby really isn't latching and they want my body to still go into feeding mode. Not how I wanted to kick things off, but hopeful today will bring more wanting food than just sleeping. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
  • I got my Spectra S2 in the mail yesterday, and while I'm excited, I'm also completely overwhelmed. I opened the box, opened the manual, and then decided to just put it away for now. I want breastfeeding to work so bad, but it's also so intimidating to me, especially pumping. I'm trying to read, research, and prepare as much as I can, but I still feel like I have no idea what to expect.
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @smallbutmighty77 I'm also using the hospital pump because we are having a latch problem/ my nipples are flat. The first time I used the pump I got so much out of it! Second time: 4 drops. We are now supplementing with formula after I try bf for 15 min and pumping. 
  • @tova24 yeah not getting a lot but she has been a bitt better with latching for more than 10seconds so I'm hopeful. L&C is coming to help with the next feed so that will be good.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss