November 2017 Moms
Options

Anterior Placenta

Has anyone had an anterior placenta? This is my 5th pregnancy, and I've never had one (until now.) I've been feeling a lot of movement. I'm most concerned with delivery. I googled and have read some scary things. Was hoping to hear some personal experiences! 

Re: Anterior Placenta

• Options
    I believe I had an anterior placenta with my first and I have one with my second. No problems at all for me in both pregnancies. The only thing I've been told kicks may be lighter with an anterior pregnancy, kind of giving you extra padding! 
  • Options
    This is my third pregnancy and first anterior placenta. From what I've seen/read/heard it shouldn't be a problem unless it is laying very low, in which case you can have placenta previa. My concern is that this delivery will be a repeat c-section, and if the placenta doesn't shift up high enough there could be complications with extra bleeding and yadda yadda. I will likely talk about all of this with my OB though and hopefully come away with some answers.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had an anterior placenta and a C-section with both of my babies, and currently have an anterior placenta with baby #3. With my 1st, my OB said that he would try to avoid a C-section because of it, but after 40 hours of labor with pretty minimal progress, we went ahead with the C-section. I had zero issues with either C-section, and am hoping that this 3rd one will go smoothly as well. :)

The only downside to it for me is that it's taken longer for my husband to be able to feel the baby moving.

• Options
    I have an anterior placenta and this is my first pregnancy. My doctor mentioned it, but did not mention any safety or health concerns about it. She mostly said it would delay when I would feel kicks and movement by a few weeks...which is proving to be true for me.
  • Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    Anterior placenta here, and a first pregnancy (almost 25 weeks along). My doctor does not seem particularly concerned. He said if I have a C-section, it may make it a little more difficult, but the surgeons encounter it all the time so no big deal. But no complications with the actual pregnancy from the anterior placenta.

He did say I might not feel the baby move until much later, but I've felt her move about as early as everyone else.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have one and no one has told me to be concerned about anything. I was told kicks would be delayed but I still felt them before I hit 19 weeks and he now can kick so hard I can see my stomach move. I'm not going to worry about it until I'm told to. I did Google when I found out I had one and it mostly said that baby will be facing a less ideal direction but it didn't seem to be that big a deal. Granted, I didn't go down the Google rabbit hole much more than that.

• Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    I believe I had an anterior placenta with my first and I have one with my second. No problems at all for me in both pregnancies. The only thing I've been told kicks may be lighter with an anterior pregnancy, kind of giving you extra padding! 
    I did read a mom's story who had an anterior placenta the first time, but not the second time, and she said the kicks were more painful the second time around and that she missed her extra cushion!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I googled in the middle of the night, because who sleeps? Lol I found one article that made me worry a bit. Really hoping it doesn't cause any problems during labor. I felt her early on, and can feel/see her kicks on the outside, so I'm not sure exactly where it is. 
    I plan on asking Tuesday at my appointment :)
  • Options
    jka427jka427 member
    I had an anterior placenta last time and a c-section (not related to the placenta). No issues with it except for movement was felt later. This time I have a very low lying anterior and it is marginal previa. The kicks are a lot stronger this time! 
  • Options
    Really the only location of a placenta that would cause an issue is a placenta previa that does not end up moving during pregnancy and still lays over the cervix. Even those are followed closely and a placenta can move during pregnancy as our uterus grows. 
  • Options
    kaitlinlizkaitlinliz member
    edited July 2017
    I have one and same as everyone else said. Dr shows no concern just said I wouldn't feel baby as much. 22.3 here and have only felt him 3/4 times. I'm going in for extra ultrasounds but that's related to a different placenta issue, not the fact that it's in front 
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta at my 20 weeks u/s. did you know that placentas actually shift during pregnancy? So if you had one at your 20 week that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have one at the birth. But there shouldn't be any problems with it being anterior! My dr just said it gave the baby a little extra padding between my tummy and the outside world :)
  • Options
    I have one as well. I think it's probably best for the baby, in my case since I am a bit clumsy and have bumped the bump a few times. It does make it harder for other people to feel her though.