Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY: Baseball!

Hey sportsfans, let's talk about baseball!

National League or American League?

Who's your team, and why (is it your hometown team, your grandpa's favorite, etc)?

Who is your current favorite player?

Who is your all-time favorite player?

What is your favorite baseball-related memory?

BONUS: Share a GIF from your favorite baseball movie!

Re: GTKY: Baseball!

• Loading the player...
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited July 2017
    Ooooh love this! I'm a huge baseball fan! 

National League or American League?
    American! 

Who's your team, and why (is it your hometown team, your grandpa's favorite, etc)?
    Boston Red Sox. They're my hometown team and I was raised by parents who are both from the city (I have always lived in the 'burbs). I've loved the team and the game from birth, basically. My dad would take me to Fenway as a little kid and we'd sit there with a scorebook and he'd teach me how to score the old-fashioned way. (That sounds dirty but you know what I mean :#

Andrew Benintendi. He's such a bro. 

Nomar Garciaparra. 

In 2004 (the year the Sox finally won the World Series) I was living in Japan. I'll never forget my dad emailing me the moment they won game 7 of the ALCS, beating the Yankees and going to the series. I was in the middle of teaching a class, but I saw his message flash on my phone. The second class was over, I ran to my apartment, called a travel agent, and booked a flight home for the next day. I had a friend pick me up at the airport and drive me to my parent's house, and they had no idea I was coming. They both freaked out and I got to watch the Sox win it all with them. Even now it makes my heart so happy to think of that moment. 

Crap I'm not smart enough to mobile gif, but it would for sure be something from Field of Dreams. 
  • Dammit, my computer is angry and I keep screwing up this post! The point of mentioning the dude's twin sons in my story is that the dad gave the baseball to the kids and they were super excited. I later asked my dad why he didn't catch the ball for me (I didn't realize at the time how self-absorbed that was, I should have been saying "Thank God you didn't get your face crushed by that ball Dad!"), and he said "I would have given it to those kids anyway."  :D My dad is hilarious.
  • @becausescience - I love CC! 

@kmalls - I really want to go to Fenway soon. I want to watch a game at every park, but the top of my list is Fenway. My dad tells me not to bother, but I think he's biased.  ;) I like Benintendi. He's talented, and it's just a fun name to say. I secretly love Mookie Betts. And I love Garciaparra too! I seem to have a lot of Red Sox love despite them being my mortal enemy, haha.

• @becausescience  Eric Thames is a great choice. The man is a beast.

@msmeeseeks That story is AWESOME. Definitely would make the ESPN reel these days. 

@kmalls MH and I are on a mission to make it to a Fenway game either this season or next, just to see the ballpark. It's up there at the top of my list. Your story makes my heart happy. I miss Big Papi and maybe cried a little bit when he left.
  • Um no, your story is waaaayyyyy cooler @looeeze ! What a great way to celebrate a wedding!
  • looeezelooeeze member
    edited July 2017
    Aw, thanks! We knew that's what we wanted to do, so we didn't know the date of our wedding until MLB came out with the schedule. It couldve been a random Tuesday in April for all we knew. Luckily, it ended up being the beautiful June afternoon of a summer solstice. 
  • So I'm not super in to baseball (Go White Sox), but A League of Their Own is by far my favorite baseball movie. I live near the city that the team in the movie is based on and I definitely geek out about it sometimes.
    Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • oh, Tommy Lasorda!  

National League or American League? National League 

Los Angeles Dodgers. I grew up in and still live in a suburb of LA. I grew up going to games and my grandfather had season tickets for almost 50 years until he gave them up about 5 years ago. 

Clayton Kershaw. His talent is insane and he just seems like an all around good guy. 

This is hard.... it was Mike Piazza until a few years ago when my brother met him in person and he was a total ass. Can I say Vin Scully?  I know he's not a player but he's so much a part of Dodger baseball. I miss hearing his voice calling the games. 

right before my grandpa gave up his tickets, my grandma called me and offered me three of his four tickets as long as I picked up my grandpa and took him to the game with us. We did and my grandpa sat there and listened to Vin Scully call the game on his transistor radio because "it's not a Dodger game unless Vin calls it." 

My less sentimental one is going to Phillipe's on Opening Day, going to the game, and watching Clayton Kershaw pitch a complete game shutout AND hit a homerun, which was the only run scored that day.

• edited July 2017
    @msmeeseeks I didn't follow Mattingly as a player but I despised him when he managed the Dodgers! Add me to the list with that Blue Jays fan

@looeeze you have the coolest wedding ever!  
  • National League or American League?
    Both. I was raised AL but married into a Phillies family, so I secondarily root for the Phillies when it doesn't matter

New York Yankees!  Because my father is a Yankee fan, and his father before him, and his father before him when all the Italian immigrants became Yankee fans. 

Don't have one now because the Yankees are NEVER on TV where I live now, but I'm excited to get to know this new team.

Jorge Posada 

Easy - when my Yankee-hating husband (boyfriend at the time) took me to a Yankee playoff game in Detroit and proposed.  I said I always wanted to get proposed to on the big screen at a baseball game, so of course he waited for the playoffs... A close second is when DH and I went to a Cleveland Indians game with my parents (they were playing the Yankees) and the sun was shining directly in our eyes. Unfortunately for DH, the only hats we had were Yankee hats and he had to wear one. There is one blurry, obscured photo I can use against him one day. 
  • @mileswithmyles your story is so sweet! liking Vin Scully is probably the closest I'll ever be to a Dodger fan :) We have Bob Uecker and I have the same memory of listening to Brewer games on the radio with my great-grandma. I dread the day he retires.

@kiwi2628 Jeter's last game was a great one, too! I'm super jealous. I'm not a Yankee fan (all y'all coast teams have too much money and hog all the press) but I do love Jeter. I also cried at Mariana's last game.

@wisewitch222 the Phillies do have the weirdest mascot so you've got that going for them. 

Either, I just like baseball lol

Milwaukee Brewers! (Although I like the Marlin's simply for their uniforms) :D

Don't have a favorite at the moment

No really "favorite" but I really like Jonathan Lucroy!  I was so mad when the Brewers traded him away :(

We do this often, but anytime DH & I listen to a Brewer's game on the radio when we're camping and Uecker calling the game!

Not my favorite, but recently watched Trouble with the Curve and really enjoyed it!

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @looeeze I heart the Philly Phanatic!
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts Lucroy was who hit the foul ball I caught on my wedding day! I liked him too, sort of. He has dead eyes though.
    NL, all the way baby!

Milwaukee Brewers - born an Illinois but grew up in Wisconsin, growing up here really changed me, and my husband is a big fan! #thisismycrew #fearthebeer

Jonathan Lucroy - wish he was still with the crew! LOOOOOOUUUU!!

Craig Counsel, no joke, he's amazing, and for the age that he is extremely good looking!

My first time going to Miller Park! I will never forget how in awe I was of the stadium and the atmosphere. I felt like I was in a different world!
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • I was stoopid busy there for a few days, just now getting to respond!

@KariAnn323 - A League of Their Own is just so good. It probably earns a spot on my list of all-time favorite movies!

@mileswithmyles - Aww, going to that game with your grandpa! I get what he means about needing to hear Vin Scully (a legend!) call it. I've gotten so used to hearing Michael Kay when I watch Yankees games that I think it's weird when I watch a game and no one yells "SEE YA" after a home run. :D  Clayton Kershaw is incredible to watch. And I had no idea Dodgers fans hated Don Mattingly as manager! What's up with that, I thought you guys were doing pretty well with him? Or is it just the usual hating of the manager? A lot of Yankees fans are really into shitting on Joe Girardi these days.

@wisewitch222 - YASSSS JORGE POSADA  <3<3<3 

@kiwi2628 - Holy crap, those seats sound AMAZING! It's so true, the state of NY is full of rabid baseball fans, you just can't help falling for the Yankees! Have you ever gone to a game at Citi Field? Last season I went to a game there because the Yanks were on the road, and I rolled up in a Yankees hat. It was the weirdest thing, it was like the Mets fans were happy to see me and welcomed me with open arms! Several people offered to buy me a new hat, hahaha. When I have a Yankees hat at the ballpark in my current city, no one cares because the home team is crap. The whole Citi Field experience kind of helped me understand why there are Mets fans!

@lurvleybunchococonuts - You sound like me... I can come up with a reason to cheer for just about any team. I can also get behind the Marlins because of my new-found crush on Giancarlo Stanton. And of course Don Mattingly!

@ajsanders-2 - We have so many Brewers fans here! There is nothing like going to that first MLB game, for sure.

So last night I started watching the Yankees-Sox in the 9th inning, thinking I would catch the end of the game and then run out to the grocery store. So basically I didn't get to the store until 10:30pm because 16 INNINGS. SIXTEEN! INNINGS! And a double header today? I'm exhausted thinking about it, and all I did was sit on the couch and eat pretzels while those guys were doing the work!
  • kmallskmalls member
    @msmeeseeks we turned the game on at 10pm, thinking it had started at 7 and we'd catch the end. Then DH was like "wait, does that say it's the bottom of the 16th?" We had no idea it started at 4. Shit loss for the Sox, and I can't imagine playing two today  :#
  • @msmeeseeks it was a rough period from the time he started due to the ownership of the team with Frank McCourt and his messy divorce. Mattingly was brought in toward the end of the McCourt era. They won several division titles with him, but I felt like his in-game decisions related to pitching were his biggest problem. He always kept the starting pitcher in an inning too long IMO and really pushed power hitting instead of small ball and a stronger bull pen. He was pretty hot-headed, too, but I guess you could say that about any manager! 
  • @kmalls - Yeah, the Red Sox had that game in the bag until Matt Holliday happened. Did you see that ridiculous base running Holliday did where they stopped the game for ten minutes to figure out the call? 

@mileswithmyles - First of all, I had to google Frank McCourt because I legit thought you were telling me the author of Angela's Ashes owned the Dodgers.  :D I've noticed a lot of managers are relying on power hitting these days. Like the Yankees for example. Sooner or later the bats get quiet and you'll wish you had the bullpen! I actually love a hot-head manager. 
  • @msmeeseeks Lol re: Frank McCourt!  I know!  I feel like a strong bullpen is so key!

I did love Tommy Lasorda, so I guess I like a some hot-heads. ;) 
  • @msmeeseeks - crazy amount of Brewers fans! I love it!
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22