February 2018 Moms
Options

how/ when did you tell grandpsrents, siblings, friends?

We still haven't officially told anyone though 2 of my kids found out,  and 3 of there friends,  and now 1 of my friends is suspecting and 1 of the grandma's friends (she did one of my blood draws) and I'm outgrowing all my clothes,  so i think it's time.  I was trying to postpone as long as possible,  because of my younger children and my ex,  and i know my mom is not going to be supportive at all.  How did you tell people and when? I'm 10 weeks now. What did you do About bad reactions?
BabyFruit Ticker
older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 

Re: how/ when did you tell grandpsrents, siblings, friends?

• Options
    Did your older kids take it well? If so, can you involve them in the announcement? Knowing your whole family is happy may make it harder for people to show a bad reaction. Hopefully! 

We told after our US on Thursday (9w2d) this is number 3 and the bloat is definitely there! We just had DS tell everyone. He was very excited about it. 

The only annoying reaction was my BIL. He goes, "are you guys becoming catholic now?" (Referring to not using birth control *eye roll*). And I totally ignored him and ano his ignorance. I'm on number three not 8. And even then none of his business!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We try our hardest not to tell until 12 weeks, but we will be getting family pics on Saturday (hoping we don't get rained out!) and will have DD in a "Big Sister" shirt. Then I will hand the parents the stack of pictures to have them pic out what they want and they will have to figure it out! It may be sooner than 12 weeks this time. I have an u/s on the 24th and will hopefully get the green light then. I will be 10 weeks at that time. 

Side note: my co-workers know and some of my clients. Oh and my niece and one of my sisters have asked us but we have been bending the truth. I just tell them, it's a work in progress! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We told our parents and siblings right away as we are very close and want their support along the way. I also have a very close group of 4 girlfriends that I told as soon as I found out. We did the exact same with DD. Then at 12 weeks again I will phone my grandma and then make a social media post.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    I told my adoptive mother and our kids. My DS is still confused but knows the baby is in me. My DD who is 12 is beyond thrilled but cant show it all the time bc of her mother. She is afraid her being happy about a baby will anger her mother so she and her beat friend whom i call my adopted daughter only talk about to me on snap chat. She wants to go to first us tomorrow but os afraid to ask her mom. My ex husband doeant care bc we habe been divorced for 5 yrs and always knew i wanted a ton of LO's
  • Options
    I told my mother and older two kids the day I tested. I actually texted my oldest on her second to last day of school before she went to third period. We're pretty close. There was no point in not telling the big kids. My son has a vague idea.

I'm not sure when we're telling other people. Maybe tell in-laws in a couple weeks or so. My mother was/is very excited and supportive. MIL is a little more critical in the passive-aggressive way and would probably think it's too many kids and other such stuff. She usually finds a way to interject how she feels or think about this or that.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I told my parents and brother right away. **TW After having a miscarriage in October we wanted their support no matter what this time too**

I've told a couple more people,s such as my best friend when I saw her in person, but otherwise we are not telling people until about 12/13 weeks. I'm visiting my grandmother at 12 weeks so we thought I'd be a good time to go ahead and tell her in person. All of our family will be there too. We will tell colleagues and friends at 13 weeks.

• Options
    My in laws just f*cking blow, to be honest. They were rude when we announced we were pregnant with DD1, horrible when we announced we were pregnant with DD2, and then made the day she was born all about them telling DH "no one is coming to meet your daughter" and tried to say t was because I said I didn't want anyone there. (Btw I said I didn't want anyone during labor because MIL can't follow simple directions like "Stay in the waiting room, shes about to push" and tried to push past a nursing student while I was pushing DD1 out)

so, we figure we'll tell them later. My first appt isn't until the 20th. With DD2, we told after the anatomy scan. Our girls are 16 months apart and I didn't want to overshadow any of DD1's firsts with an announcement. 
  • Options
    I told my close friends and family already at 6weeks. TW - after a MC last cycle we are really nervous, but know they will give us the prayers and support we need for everything. 
    I plan on waiting until my ultrasound on 07/31 to share the news with the rest of my family and will wait until at least 12 weeks before sharing the news with the world. 
    When I do get to share the news, I want to find a cute way to do it with my DS.
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    We're doing our best to tell our closest peeps in person... Told my brother when we visited him @ around 7 weeks (he lives halfway across the country). Waited until my 2nd appt to tell our parents a week after that. Have been telling our best friends as we see them in person - so far 3 people know haha. Telling my 2 other besties when I see them this weekend and next weekend consecutively. 

Will tell my softball team at our next game, which I'll be 12+ weeks, so they can plan to find a new girl for fall - I think I can keep playing through summer. I could probably play through part of fall, but don't want to overpromise.

Since I'll be getting the genetic testing where we can find out gender sooner, we plan to wait until we know gender to tell anyone outside of that!
  • Options
    I told everyone right away, especially co workers and family. I get really sick from week 6 on, so there is no way i can hide it from anyone. 

Married 1/09/10

BFP 6/10/14
    EDD 2/17/15
    DS 2/17/15

BFP 6/12/17
    EDD 2/18/17
    Deja vu??

• Options
    Told my parents at 8w, simply because it was our opportunity to tell them in person. We wouldnt be seeing them again for awhile so we thought it was best not to wait. We will tell the inlaws at 12w and then everyone else.

I've told one coworker about it and it was simply because i wanted her opinion on something related to telling work people and knew I could trust her and wanted at least one person at work that I could go to.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We still haven't told anyone.  A few friends guessed due to my not drinking at events.  After my appointment on Friday I may call my mom and tell her.  DH can tell his family whenever he chooses.  I'm not big on announcements so I'll probably just tell people as I run into them.

• Options
    *DH- that day! Idk how anyone can wait :-)
    *My mom- 5 weeks and almost right away
    *My sister and her family- 7 weeks
    *MIL and DH family- 7 weeks
    *My auntie- 8 weeks
    *My dad, stepmom and family- 9 weeks
    (we took a trip otherwise they'd probably be around 7-8 weeks too)
    *Our closest friends- 10 weeks, this coming weekend! They are already getting very suspicious bc I'm usually a social butterfly and wine lover 
    *Work- trying to wait until 13 weeks, after my first u/s appt.
    *Social media and world- 13+, whenever I feel comfortable, or am starting to show, or finish this little video I want to make to announce it! 

I've done it in waves of comfort also minding when I get to see people in person. Overall I try to think I'd want to have all this support God forbid anything goes wrong. It's my first pregnancy!
  • Options
    We usually tell parents and siblings  around 8 weeks, so if we have a good US next week we might. We don't do big social media announcements, mostly due to our loss history. I just know how hard those can be to see as an IF or loss mom, and most of my FB friends that care to know I'll tell in person or text anyways. Not that there's anything wrong with social media posts, I do enjoy other people's excitement and creativity, it's just a personal choice since I know a lot of my FB friends are in a rough time of life with this particular thing. Last time I posted casually on IG towards third tri, just a pic of me pregnant, so might do that this time so the new baby pics don't confuse people lol. I'll probably tell close friends in person around 12 weeks maybe.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I'm with @mblomq2 and tell in waves of comfort. I'm was a pretty social drinker before this so some people call me out immediately. -TW- we also had a loss a few
    months back so people close to me knew it was a possibility -end TW- 

few people from work know, few friends, and both of our families. I get super frustrated at the concept that I should fake drink or lie to hide it so Im probably more obvious than I could be. Probably wait until after 13 weeks to make a big announcement. 
  • Options
    We haven't told a since person yet! Just myself and my DH know! We are 8W3D and I'm getting anxious. I feel like I am showing already and I want to tell people but we plan on waiting until 12 weeks to tell! Nobody has asked yet and I'm hoping I can cover it up for a bit!
  • Options
    We told all people we are super close with...close friends...family as of when we found out. My mom and i are best friends and I cannot keep a secret from her. 
    We will wait till after 12 weeks to post officially on fb and tell everyone else...Although my dad is way too excited and has told the world. (just not on social media thank god he is horrible with technology.)
  • Options
    Our parents and siblings know. After our first ultrasound, I put DD in a shirt that says "I'm the big sister!" and waited until they actually read the shirt. The responses were pretty funny! We're planning on taking a picture of her in it holding our hands to "officially" announce at 12-13 weeks. Depends on when SIL announces, they told us they are pregnant with their first and due around the same time, so I don't want to steal her thunder...
  • Options
    We told parents and siblings right away. We will probably tell a few close friends this weekend (9 weeks) because I don't think I'll be able to hide it. We are going to an adult prom...everyone is going to notice my lack of drinking the free drinks!
    We will tell everyone else / social media after 12 or 13 weeks. 
  • Options
    I told my parents after my 7w US. My MIL flat out asked DH when he mentioned I'd been really tired lately and he couldn't lie to her. I told my BFF and her mom but those are the only ones who know. Co-Workers haven't suspected yet thankfully.  I'm getting testing done next Monday (10w) and will start to tell once I get the results. My mom will tell my (younger) sister, however, because she likes to judge. I don't want to deal with her "you're too old, can you afford it, etc" BS so my mother is going to deflect until she is put together enough to say congrats.  
  • Options
    We told our parents, siblings, my older children from a previous and very close group of friends immediately. We've been trying for close to 2 years. The news was way to hard to stay quite about.
    Oh and I'm a hairstylist...so when I need to chow on some saltines real quick in the middle of a service. I've explained to my client why.
  • Options
    We told our parents, siblings, my older children from a previous and very close group of friends immediately. We've been trying for close to 2 years. The news was way to hard to stay quite about.
    Oh and I'm a hairstylist...so when I need to chow on some saltines real quick in the middle of a service. I've explained to my client why.
  • Options
    I told DH the same day. We told our parents, siblings, and a few closest friends the next day. I told a couple more friends and relatives each day since. I kinda don't care to keep it a secret from people who are close to us. But I also don't want to do a social media announcement or anything. Just telling all the people who actually care about us and will be supportive and happy for us no matter what.
  • Options
    @alice0218 we feel the same...
  • Options
    It's so awesome to read this thread and not feel alone ! I'm totally struggling with this. We went camping and a close friend and their family came and we told them as I wouldnt be drinking and I told my bestie but I havnt had a chance to see my dad's face and tell him yet we are busy in the process of moving and all that and I want it to be in person even though it's our 4th baby .. And then my MIL has just become ( it's always been there but it's just gotten to a horrible lvl) a rotten person and has voiced numerous times her thoughts on everything in our life and very negatively more  children as right after we had our 3rd I joked about more
  • Options
    Babies .. I love babies 
    Anyways we are planning to fb announce after my next appointment as I'm 11 weeks tomorrow so is it horrible to just * tell them * then ?! I'm not actually sure I care
  • Options
    Ugh my posts are all messed up and I've typed it twice and it's still posting funny and now it's pissing me off