May 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 7.3 - 7.9

What's new this week? Anyone have plans for the 4th of July?

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: Weekly Randoms 7.3 - 7.9

• A BBQ tonight and one tomorrow. My family wants me to take my 7 week old to the firework show and just cover her ears.  Um no.

I don't want lo outside a lot or for long periods due to 100 degree weather and poor air quality. Is that being to over protective? 
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    @Kateriee I don't think that's overprotective at all. I know how uncomfortable I get in the heat, just imagine how hot a baby (that is most likely being held) can get. 

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • No plans for me. I just woke up and can barely swallow so maybe I'll be on the couch all day. We've had people setting off fireworks the past few days and it's terrifying our dog. He literally starts heavily breathing and shaking. So I'm excited for July 5th
  • mcvgalmcvgal member

DD did so well last night with all the loud fireworks going off. However, she got so scared when all my family started laughing with my nephew. I hope everyone's pets handled the celebrations well.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Had a follow up at the doctors today for the thrush and she's all clear. DD is up to 9 lbs too, 4 weeks old yesterday. She's getting a fat roll on her thigh which makes me so happy she's gaining.  :) 
    Shes been extra needy today though, refuses to sleep, and keeps pooping. Looks like I'll be nap trapped all day. 
  • The 4th was fun for us, DS barely noticed the fireworks and DD seemed to really enjoy them. Also, my nieces (3&4) doted on DS all day, they are super excited to be big sisters in September and are a bit baby crazy according to SIL. Overall fun day.

TMI question...so when I had DS I tore in 3 places, one of the tears extending out to my clitoris, not sure what they are categorized as because they avoided telling me anything about the tearing during my hospital stay. Well I had my 6 week checkup and was told all of the stitches were out, yada yada, got my BC proscription and last night DH and I decided to DTD...completely horrible. It hurt so bad, I could feel every part of the tears and we had to stop. Almost started crying because I felt awful and my slightly buzzed self was convinced this meant I could never have sex again.
    Please tell me there's some sort of positive side to this? That maybe if I wait longer it won't feel awful or maybe some sort of reassurance from anyone else who tore badly? 
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    Totally random, but I guess that is what this thread is for. We finally got out bill for DD's NICU time. 42 days in the hospital before insurance payment was $205,890.12. Five years ago at a different hospital DS1 was in the NICU for 40 days, but was born 30 weeks and his bill was $249,000. He required more interventions and procedures than DD. Here's my privilege showing, but I have to wonder how people without insurance or without good plans handle those unexpected bills. 

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• I don't know much about other states or if its the same everywhere but people have Medicaid and then don't pay anything. Whereas people with insurance pay thousands of dollars on medical bills on top of paying for their insurance. I pay a lot for insurance and have to pay $5500 out of pocket, I know people who pay a lot more and some less. My sister is unemployed for no good reason and is on Medicaid... She had unnecessary genetic testing etc... paid $0 for her whole pregnancy and child birth. She is now pregnant with baby #2 and is in the same situation.  Unfair...

Someone's going to be mad I said that but its true.
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    Whoa that is totally unfair! I would like to not have to pay medical bills.

Although when I had my gall bladder removed my uncle was supposed to have the same surgery. He didn't have insurance and was given pills to break up the stones instead of the surgery. Now he could possibly get stones over and over again. 

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• I work with a bunch of low income families and they often go to the ER for tooth pain, or something else that should be handled at the PCP or urgent care. They don't care because they have no copays. It's frustrating because we are paying for that. 

Also the NICU bill you got is ridiculous, in the sense that hospitals can even charge that amount for services. 
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    Jens_Hoes said:
    I work with a bunch of low income families and they often go to the ER for tooth pain, or something else that should be handled at the PCP or urgent care. They don't care because they have no copays. It's frustrating because we are paying for that. 

Also the NICU bill you got is ridiculous, in the sense that hospitals can even charge that amount for services. 
    It is ridiculous, especially since over 1/2 the amount was just room and board.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• As a ER nurse I can verify the ridiculousness that comes in for no reason, because it's "free". Very upsetting.

@OmegaRose3 Have you talked to your OB? Have you done the deed by yourself? I'd do some solo time and see if that's uncomfortable. I hope it gets better, maybe you just need more time!
  • +1 on the ridiculous medical bills. We logged $140,000 worth of bills between my hospitalization and DS's NICU stay. My out of pocket portion is $7,500 on top of paying a very high premium. I don't have that kind of money lying around so I'm going to try to negotiate with the provider and do payments. 

Healthcare system is broken when some get free and others assume much larger burdens for the same services. 
  • LO is just about 7 weeks old and last night she slept from 10-5!!! She started to wake up at 4 but never did and we both fell back to sleep until 5! (Only problem is my boobs are killing me-well only one at this point, I'm going to need to pump OUCH!) what a great night!!!
  • @OmegaRose3 Ouch! Sorry you had such a bad experience. I agree with @jayandaplus, maybe you just need more time? Does the area still hurt otherwise? If it feels fine except when DTD, I'd definitely ask your doctor about it.
  • @starphish18 Scar tissue definitely doesn't make for a pleasant experience!
    @jayandaplus Didn't talk to my OB about it much more than him saying that there's scar tissue there and it can cause discomfort...super helpful! We were able to try again and it went okay, but I'm hoping and praying thr pain lessens over time because it definitely puts a damper on things
  • @lrwardrop wow, good for you! If I recall, you're an RN, right? Are you going to keep your license active? A friend of mine decided to not return after her maternity leave and is deciding what to do regarding her license.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 thanks. Yes I'll definitely keep my license active. I plan to return to work in a couple years. It would be silly not to keep it, you never know what could happen later down the road.
  • @lrwardrop that's exactly what I told her!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• My aunt was an optometrist and let her license lapse when she had kids. I think that's even crazier because certification is even more difficult to obtain than an RN. Unfortunately my uncle last his job many years later and she ended up working a much lower paying job bc she was no longer licensed. Was kind of a bummer. Moral : always keep those up!!