November 2017 Moms

STM+ sprinkle or skip?

BayCampBayCamp member
edited July 2017 in November 2017 Moms
To those that already have kids, are you doing a shower, a sprinkle, or nothing? 

STM+ sprinkle or skip? 69 votes

Full shower
11% 8 votes
Sprinkle
15% 11 votes
Diaper party
4% 3 votes
Non-gift party
4% 3 votes
Nothing
60% 42 votes
*SS
2% 2 votes

Re: STM+ sprinkle or skip?

• My friend asked if she could throw me a sprinkle next month. 
  • My DD will be 6 when baby is here and this time it's a boy. Also, first kid for DH. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If someone offered I wouldn't say no but I'm not expecting one. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've never heard of a sprinkle. What is it? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our group celebrates each baby that comes into it. I think sprinkles and showers can both be appropriate. I would say sprinkles are more common, but if someone offers to throw a full shower, it would be way more rude to say no than to have another shower. Hooray for babies! <3

• We aren't doing anything (babies #3 & 4 for us this time), before they arrive. We do host an open house when they are a few months old, for people to come and meet them. Some people bring gifts but we always state "Your presence is gift enough" and expect nothing. We will be hosting one in the New Year for these little ones. I like to wait until they've had their first vaccinations before we invite a bunch of people over to oooo and awe over them.
    Me: 32 / H: 35
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 1.0 - 6.18.2012 - She's here! Via C-section @ 38 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    6.25.2015 - He's here! Via VBAC @ 36 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 3.0 - 3.9.2017 - BFP @ 9 DPO! EDD 11.20.2017 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've never heard of a sprinkle. What is it? 
    Like a mini-shower. Just clothes, books, diapers, and that kind of thing. I think so at least, I've been to "sprinkles" that were huge and expensive. 
  • DS is 2 1/2 and we saved everything, and we're having another boy. Everyone keeps asking when we're having something and I just feel gift grabby if we did since we literally don't need anything. I'm thinking maybe a Baby Q cookout with something saying "no presents required but we are holding a diaper raffle" then I won't feel bad if people bring diapers because they have a chance of winning something? 
  • We won't do anything ourselves and my family is across the country. We have 3 ladies in our extended circle of friends (book/wine club) that are due in November (2 of us are STMs and other is a FTM to twins!!) so the girls may organize a celebration of the babies but I would like for the spotlight to be on the FTM. 
  • I put "non-gift party" because my friends told me they are already planning something. I'm going to talk to them about making it a no gift thing, but I have a feeling there will be a few who don't listen. 

I'm creating private registries, but not to share. I just want completion discounts when my husband and I buy it all. There's not a lot we need, and the things we do need aren't fun things that people like to buy for showers. 

Except for boy clothes, but I love buying clothes on my own anyway, and I'm still faking team green. 
  • One of my friends offered to throw my babyshower. IMO, People just say Sprinkle for whatever reason, to not sound gift graby but hey whether you say sprinkle or babyshower the gifts will come. Lol my son is 2.5 and this baby is a girl. Most people I know have parties of some sort for each baby. 
  • I voted nothing because we won't do anything ourselves. They will probably do something at work because they love any excuse for a potluck lol.
  • If someone offered, I wouldn't say no to a sprinkle, but my youngest is 18 months right now, we really don't need anything. 

I always though of Sprinkles as diaper and book parties. You always need more diapers and wipes, and who doesn't need more books?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wouldn't turn down anything if someone wanted to throw it. I think every baby should be celebrated (not necessarily with a party and gifts but still celebrated). That being said, we aren't planning anything and aren't expecting anything and that's perfectly okay. Like I said, you don't have to have a party and gifts to celebrate a new life. 
  • My friend had mentioned a shower when I first found out but nothing since and I am not the type to throw my own shower. I still need a lot of infant stuff because I got rid of pretty much all of my DS infant stuff because I was convinced I was done. I'll probably just buy most of what I need second hand anyway.
  • I wouldn't turn down a party if offered but I am not expecting anything. We decided to have a gender reveal party to celebrate some aspect of this pregnancy and this LO. A diaper party would be nice. We are getting a lot of hand me downs from nephews so clothing isnt a need and we have all other baby accessories from DD.
  • I chose nothing, but I think I would accept a sprinkle from my closest friends or family, because everyone is so excited for a girl. DHs family has had lots of girls so they don't care LOL. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My mom is throwing me a sprinkle, but knowing my mom it will be more like a shower. Lol
  • kalenpkalenp member
    I just threw my good friend a Blessingway which was a really nice way to do something to honor the fact that she was having a 2nd child without having the event be all about a bunch of gifts she doesn't need. It was a really meaningful experience. https://www.breastfeedbabywearclothdiaper.com/ideas-for-planning-a-mothers-blessingway-ceremony
    DS#1 3/13
    DS#2 3/15
    Baby #3~ 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My fiancé's family is throwing a shower. It feels awkward to me since I have a child, but he's 6.5 and I saved nothing (husband had a vasectomy and then we divorced - more kids were NOT on my radar!). It's HIS first and the only child any of his siblings or he will likely ever have so I understand their excitement. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• My friend wants to do something small for me. Its 6 years later and opposite gender and I truly didn't have baby stuff. Many of these ladies in the neighborhood didn't know me then because we moved in when DS was 9 months old.
  • I think every baby should be celebrated, and if your friends and family are willing to throw a shower or sprinkle, DO IT! My family and friends won't throw anything, and that's totally fine! Not my first or second (being different gender,) so I don't expect anything. It's fun to celebrate though :) I wouldn't say no if someone offered. 
  • my husband wants to have a diaper party with his friends which I'm all for. If someone threw me a sprinkle I wouldn't be opposed but I feel pretty confident that we have almost everything we need from our first baby, except some things that have come out since then like a dock-a-tot
  • I assume we will get gift cards from coworkers and gifts from close family, but no formal event this time.
  • Abby7Abby7 member
    This sounds awful, but I really wish someone would throw me a shower. We moved cross country when DD was 3 1/2 and I was so disgusted and upset that I hadn't gotten PG again (we have never prevented since her birth) I gave away all her stuff to charity rather than pay to cart it 1000 miles and store it. And honestly she's 5 now and I'm 39 so I would have given up and gotten rid of it by this point anyway. So I have pretty much absolutely nothing and have to buy everything. My neighbor gave me some nice stuff, a pack n play etc., plus DH did not throw away the crib (thank goodness), and we do have her convertible car seat that I'll use even though it will pass the 6 year old mark. Otherwise though this is going to be a major outlay.

I'm also annoyed because I threw my sister a shower for her second, because her first was 8 years older and I figured she needed it, and the same people came to that that would come to one for me - but I'm sure she won't do the same for me.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • I don't plan on doing anything. Because there is a close to 6 year difference and different genders, I wouldn't say no, but we are ok. I will buy or borrow the items we need in my 3rd trimester, but am looking out for good sales already. 
  • I'll second what some others have said that I wouldn't turn something down if it was offered but I have always believed that a shower or a sprinkle isn't something to throw yourself, I have been to ones people threw for themselves and have no problem with it ( I love an excise to celebrate just about anything and who doesn't want to celebrate a baby) It's just not me.
  • I feel like I got all that I needed From my showers when my son was born, and I'm grateful for that. Now it's my turn to bless others at their bridaland baby showers. 
  • MIL is now planning a shower for us since we are expecting a boy. I thought I'd be ok with it but now I feel weird. We don't have a ton we need because we have clothes from family and I've already purchased our larger items. Main needs are diapers and wipes. I'm going to ask that a note be added to the invitation to let others know we are not registered and to surprise us in their own way. 
  • allyxoallyxo member
    Nope. We won't be having one. It's our third boy, but even if it was a girl I wouldn't want one. I feel like I got my baby shower fix the first time, I have no desire for another one.
  • missrekaeaglemissrekaeagle member
    edited July 2017
    My friend offered to throw me a shower, and I didn't object. In my culture we celebrate each birth with some type of event, and it's usually a big shower each time. My kids will be 7 years apart and opposite gender. I literally saved nothing baby related because I never knew if I would have more kids. I'm grateful for any event thrown on ny behalf, and I think cultural norms have a lot to do with people's comfort with baby showers for second time moms. 
  • I actually never heard of a Sprinkle party. Can someone tell me what a sprinkle party is? I think if you need new things for you baby than have a little get together. My family usually just has baby showers for their first baby.