December 2017 Moms

GTKY: registry top want

2»

Re: GTKY: registry top want

• Willow breast pump
  • @breezybee Do it! I love the Tripp Trapp. Someone gifted us a different highchair and it's been fine (it's cloth, but my dogs clean up the mess right away so it doesn't stain and I only have to wash it once a week. Yes, I know that's gross. No, I don't care.) I think I'm going to get 2 Tripp Trapps now rather than buying DS a booster. They look so good and are so functional. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't decided which one but #1 will be a baby scale of some sort. We had A LOT of problems with Ds gaining weight (had to go for weight checks every day for 2+ weeks) and he was bottle fed. When dd was born she lost too much weight in the hospital, which extend our stay, and was breastfed. I had no idea how much she was getting once we were home and it caused a lot of anxiety for me. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to being able to do some weighed feedings at home this time around :)
  • @vvitchhazel glad you mentioned that Ikea high chair. I think that's the route we are gonna go. Something super simple. I also put an extra tray on my list, so if it gets really gross, I can always swap one out. 

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • We will need to buy a new crib for baby and some nursery furniture but number one on my list is a double stroller. I think I've settled on the City Select with the extra seat. Anyone have any experience with this stroller?  I'm a review junkie and over research everything so I will likely change my mind 50 more times. 

Also so wanted to second the ikea  high chair. We did baby lead weaning (messy!!) with dd and that thing is easy to clean. We were gifted a more expensive, "fancier" chair, but even with our dog attempting to "clean" it right away, it's just harder to get really clean. The IKEA one can be hosed off. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    I think we've narrowed down a stroller choice to the Chicco Bravo Trio travel system, but I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.  I really like the City Select, but I'm having trouble with the price tag (and that's before an infant seat and adapter and...).  I wish we knew for certain we'd have a baby #2 and soon, because then I could (maybe) justify it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kaylawing I have the City Select double and I love love love it! I will be able to tote all three of my kids around on it since we have the car seat adapter, the 2 seats, and we recently got the glider board for DS1. And there are so many different ways to configure the kids it's makes it nice. 

• Thanks @ngarciabyu I like that there are so many position options. Now I have to talk dh into the price. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Tennis11785 It's fantastic! And if you're like me and want something a little cuter, check out YeahBabyGoods on Etsy. They make silicone mats and cushion covers for the Ikea high chairs that are super cute and make clean up a little easier...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    @vvitchhazel @Tennis11785 You ladies sold me. Hose it off in the backyard/shower? That's my style of emergency clean up.  I added the high chair and the star and moon set from @vvitchhazel 's site above to my registry. <3 Thanks!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @anewadventure I've been going through baby stuff because we're having a rummage sale in a couple weeks and I keep finding stuff that we never used. I love the idea of your keep, toss, add thread... I officially have a nice list of stuff that I wish I would've been told was a useless purchase! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @whiska we had both the snuza and the angelcare. We never put the snuza on her. It looked uncomfortable. I loved the angelcare. We never had problems til she was around 10 months old. She was just moving so much she moved off the pad. There are ones now that have two pads. They have good reviews. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NME44NME44 member
    whiska said:
    I was thinking of getting the Angelcare movement monitor or the Snuza.

My sister had the Angelcare with my two nephews and it worked great.  I'm just reticent though because all the reviews say they're crap with tons of false alarms, and the new ones with the touch pad and video monitor have a lot of bugs.  But like - if it actually worked well for us and wasn't buggy then I would love that system.

Then the Snuza reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but we'd have to buy a different sound or video monitor system.  Something I'll have to research more.
    We have the angelcare and have used it for two babies (the same monitor.) There were only a few false alarms as my son got older and started moving all over his crib, and one ACTUAL alarm when my daughter stopped breathing for a bit. (We were able to wake her up and she started breathing again and she's fine.) 

So, I definitely recommend the Angelcare.
  • It's interesting to me that so many of you have the different monitors for baby's breathing.  My DS was in the NICU for 2 weeks and the 2nd week the primary reason he was there is his oxygen levels would fall.  When I asked the doctors and nurses about getting one of those monitors I was told by all of them definitely do not get one! I think it's the same idea as why you shouldn't use a doppler in the 3rd trimester as it can give parents a false sense of security.  I'm still considering getting one this time around because I spent so much time checking to make sure DS was breathing in his crib.  
  • NME44NME44 member
    @TigerCakes, I'm confused how it would provide a false sense of security. I either won't know at all if my baby stops breathing, or the angelcare might alert me to it. It doesn't monitor oxygen levels or anything, but that's not what it's for.
  • We absolutely loved this infant tub and plan on getting one this time around. It was nice with the clean water reservoir not to have to change out the soapy dirty water. I also loved the thermometer to keep an eye on the water temp.

https://m.buybuybaby.com/m/product/4moms-reg-infant-tub-trade/3307037?skuId=60110077&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bathpotty_online&product_id=60110077&product_channel=online&adtype=pla&adpos=1o3&creative=88278721620&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJCWvuPo6tQCFRUbgQodb7EPHA
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • whiskawhiska member
    edited July 2017
    @NME44 Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

I agree - I'm wondering if what the doctors meant when they said to @TigerCakes "false sense of security" with something like the owlet or movement monitor is that the monitors have not been proven in clinical trials to actually prevent infant deaths? So a lot of parents buy them thinking it's going to "save their baby" when they haven't been shown to. And maybe doctors would rather parents look in on their kids more instead of relying solely on the device (like you said kind of like being vigilant about kicks instead of reaching for the doppler?)

I've looked at the studies and still want to buy one. My reasoning for using one is more along the lines of what I brought up about being risk averse re: "broken rules" in that I want to know I had everything at my disposal to intervene in case something bad would happen.  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• @whiska my take with the "false sense of security" that a lot of these articles mention is that parents take the monitors and their readings and think everything is ok and ignore other significant warning signs that point to baby being in distress. I know for the fetal Dopplers mom may be put at ease because they can find and hear the baby's heartbeat and ignore the lack of movement and aren't paying attention to kick count. Your baby may still have a heartbeat and may be in distress. Likewise with these infant monitors. I think if people aren't watching for fever, labored breathing, lethargy and just say "hey the monitor says baby is fine" and rely on that, it's a false sense of security. I want to get one for an ADDED tool to help with that sense of security, but it's as always most important to pay attention to the other signs 
  • NME44NME44 member
    edited July 2017
    @whiska, I suppose I can see that side of it, but the reality is, if my baby is sleeping through the night, I'm not getting out of bed in the middle of the night to check on them anyway. Only if they make noise and wake me does that happen. And I totally agree these monitors won't let you know if the baby is having a fever or anything, so you should definitely be extra vigilant if you think your baby is sick. It does do a really great job of sensing if movement has stopped (I think it has like a 10 second alarm? Baby should be breathing AT LEAST once every 10 seconds) so for me it does what it advertises.

ETA: I don't know what the owlette does. Maybe that one advertises heart rate readings and temps?
  • @whiska @ngarciabyu Thank you for adding those explanations. My doctors wanted us to be checking on the baby and not relying on a monitor to assume he was safe.  Many women use a doppler or a monitor and that can make them think their baby is ok when other signs may indicate something is wrong. My situation is probably a bit different than others though in that my son had a massive fetal maternal hemorrhage and the doctors were worried about potenial long lasting effects from lack of oxygen to his brain.  Luckily, DS is fine and I'm still thinking about getting one as an added security measure for this little one.
  • @angetralala  Would love to see the chair and a half rocker you got.  I never heard of that before, but I'm obsessed with the idea of it!   :p
  • MandaynoMandayno member
    edited July 2017
    You guys all have some really great ideas! As a FTM I too really could use some help on those items you think you HAVE TO HAVE, but really will never use. I would LOVE a thread like that!

My #1 thing I want right now is a Halo Bassinest for next to my bed! I love the idea that this one is height adjustable and that it swivels to the side. I like the idea that it can go high enough to where it can "hover" over in bed with me if DH isn't home! Also if for some reason I have a c-section, the idea that it swivels to the side when I have to get out of bed sounds like a great idea!! https://www.halobassinest.com/meet-bassinest/

@thatlauragirl I keep looking at these tubs thinking that I really like them, but could not figure out what made them so different! Thanks for explaining your experience with it!

edited due to spelling