December 2017 Moms

Let's talk maternity clothes...

Re: Let's talk maternity clothes...

• @kvacmak I love old navy's maternity but their sizes suck. I would order the same size in everything some would fit, some to big, down too little. I sent back so much stuff. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So school starts back in 4 weeks. I'm in denial but I better be ordering my butt some clothes or imma be naked.  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Why are maternity clothes SO ugly?  The only dress that I liked was $130.  For a dress.  To use while pregnant.  WTAF.
  • @tamaraaaa I've noticed a TON of floral patterns in maternity dresses. Not. My. Thing. If I find black or simple maternity dresses I bookmark them immediately. Mostly I just won't be wearing a lot of dresses, black Motherhood Maternity pants all the way through!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• whiskawhiska member
    edited July 2017
    I went to one of the few Old Navys in town with a maternity section and was really disappointed.  It was literally one half-shelf of jeans, two wall-racks of tops, and one floor-rack of dresses.  Most of them not cute or way too blousy for me.  I didn't realize it until I was done trying on clothes, but I ended up getting the tops on the two maternity mannequins :lol:

H likes me in this color

I thought this might be cute for the 4th with my jean shorts.  I don't normally like this much flounce, but I swear it looks cuter in person.

This is not maternity but the waist seam is above my gut/bump/blump and makes it look kinda cute when it pops.  I bought my usual size.  (Thank goodness for no rib expansion yet!)

Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• @djd0404 I agree with maternity clothes. I feel like I got pregnant and went through a time warp and I'm shopping for clothes my mom would wear... ugh.. floral patterns everywhere. I've found a few cute things but they're few and far between. 
  • Motherhood maternity is having a sale online only right now. It started today but says it's for 4th of July so ends tomorrow. It's 30% off and I believe it's off everything. It was off everything I ended up buying.
  • I can't stop shopping!!!! I just bought maternity underwear on Amazon.....what the hell
    Me: 30 DH: 28
    Married: Nov 2015

Team Pink!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BC814BC814 member
    I personally have been living in LuLaRoe... helps that I am a retailer, but seriously you can't go wrong with the clothes. Right now I am wearing mostly the Carly dresses because I'm in the awkward belly stage, but hoping to try the Julia soon when my belly pops! If anyone is interested, join my Facebook group LuLaRoe with Becky and Erin VIP and tell me you heard about me from this feed... I would love to bless you with some goodies... first order ships free on me
  • Got my first maternity item! It was a gift from my aunt. I still don't need it (not even close). But it's nice to know it's there for if I ever actually start showing..
    31 years young
    from Seattle(ish)
    5 years married
    FTM and PGAL
    EDD is 12/23/17
    -- It's a BOY! ---

• I'm having the hardest time finding maternity clothes that fit! I'm very petite (4'11'', 100 lbs) and it's been close to impossible to find pants that fit (hello, clown pants!). It's hard enough finding clothes that fit- throw maternity in the mix, and forget it! So I'm having to keep wearing my Bella Band, even though it's starting to get uncomfortable.

Also, I really miss being able to tuck my shirts in- can't do that with full-panel pants and pants with the Bella band. I finally found a decent pair of skinny jeans that fit (Jessica Simpson brand- Motherhood Maternity), so that's good! Everything so far from Loft (petite maternity) has been huge and ill-fitting. The search continues... 
  • BC814 said:
    I personally have been living in LuLaRoe... helps that I am a retailer, but seriously you can't go wrong with the clothes. Right now I am wearing mostly the Carly dresses because I'm in the awkward belly stage, but hoping to try the Julia soon when my belly pops! If anyone is interested, join my Facebook group LuLaRoe with Becky and Erin VIP and tell me you heard about me from this feed... I would love to bless you with some goodies... first order ships free on me
    YES!  I had to go back to buying tons of LLR again because it's the only thing that looks semi-decent right now.  I've been loving my Carlys too, and Perfect Ts.  I've also been doing lots of Irmas with maternity shorts.
  • @hellothere47  i can't speak from personal experience, as i am not your size, but my SIL is and she swore by h&m, gap, and asos. hope you can find something. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • guys. mayday. SOS. HALP. 

last time around i was a total lump and did not exercise. in my "normal life" i am an avid exerciser. usually high intensity things. big time soccer player. so my workout gear is usually soccer shorts and a tech shirt. 

at this point every pair of shorts i own for working out is too tight on the abdomen. i can handle it for another week or two but i am DESPERATE for a maternity solution.

several questions:

1) rec's for maternity shorts that are: 
    • intended for exercise
    • not 3" or 5" inseam if possible (like super-short running shorts. this girl has thighs)
    • not yoga pants or capris
    2) rec's for workout bottoms in general. 
    • can include bottoms of all lengths
    • must be intended for exercise, preferably, because i am a sweaty-ass mofo. like, buckets of sweat. 
    usually for maternity wear i do full panel. at this point, i want any and all rec's because i am finding this to be an impossible category to shop for. 

help help helpppp.

even rec's for non-maternity gear that you have found works well for you. however, the belly gets enormous pretty fast. even if i can get a pair that lasts say two or three months and then in third tri don't work, that would be a step ahead. 

THANKS. SO MUCH. SO SO SO MUCH. i am trying to not be a lump this time but i gotta have clothes to wear. 

• @anewadventure I don't have any recs for shorts, but I wore my high waisted Lululemon wunderkind unders until the day I delivered DS. And I did not have a small belly by any stretch of the imagination! I bought a size up but I could still wear them after I got back to my normal size
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @hellothere47 Try H&M for sure! I usually wear a 0 most places and I fit well in 4-6 there in maternity. It's cut super slim. Paige jeans are definitely worth the investment if you can swing it! 
  • babytimeagainbabytimeagain member
    edited July 2017
    @Jellybelly119 Thanks for the tip! I'll give H&M a try soon.
  • BC814BC814 member
    tamaraaaa said:
    BC814 said:
    YES!  I had to go back to buying tons of LLR again because it's the only thing that looks semi-decent right now.  I've been loving my Carlys too, and Perfect Ts.  I've also been doing lots of Irmas with maternity shorts.
    I seriously love it! I have a hard time with normal maternity lines because I am tall. I need all my pants in longs. Shirts aren't bad, I like the Pea in the Pod Brand too. But you can't go wrong with a dress. And in the fall, leggings and boots will be my jam! 
  • @anewadventure If you are at all crafty, consider getting a pair of maternity yoga pants, and then cut them short.  If you have a steady hand and it's not all jagged, there's no need to hem the cut end unless it rolls (I've done this a couple times, and it doesn't roll on me).  For working out, it's totally fine.

I have not been able to find lightweight cotton shorts that work, but cheap leggings do the trick.  I'm also currently wearing some very lightweight cotton non-maternity leggings, which I took some scissors to and slashed the waistband a few times for it to fit loose under my belly.  I'm wearing them under a skirt (for chub rub), but I've also worked out in them, with a long t-shirt.  They're also cut-offs, for shorts.

I'm also still able to use a pair of cheap loose gym shorts that I used to wear before I lost weight (I was still chubby when I got pregnant, but no longer super plus size).  Go to Ross or some other discount store, and try on some plus size workout shorts-- they often fit loose anyway.

Once I started taking scissors to my cheap underwear (bought a size big, but still too snug in the waistband), I've been slashing up all kinds of cheap clothes.  DIY shorts from $10 leggings bought online are way cheaper than $30 maternity shorts, and it's not like they need to last more than a few months.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• @KLake42  what a great idea!

ladies that shop at either store, what's the difference between Ross and Marshalls? i have both nearby.

• @anewadventure In my experience, Marshall's is more "upscale." I prefer Ross, because I'm not very upscale. Hahaha.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • PSA: Gap is having a sale right now with an extra 40% off using coupon code "DEAL". They have a pretty big selection of maternity, and when you take the 40% off of items that are already on sale, there are some good deals to be had! 
  • @anewadventure I also prefer Ross.  It has a lot more "one-off" pieces, that you'll just find once in the whole store, just in the size they have it, but it's marked down to $8.  

Marshalls has more selections with one in every size, but it's not as marked down, and honestly, sometimes a little more boring. It feels more like Kmart or Sears in its styles.  

Ross feels more like a little of everything, some really cheaply made, but some well-made items, and there's a much bigger sense of being on a hunt.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Target in my area was having a big sale on maternity clothes, shorts and jeans mostly. I got a pair of the side panel Liz Lange white skinny jeans for $17!

@blueskies17 thanks for the gap info! I jumped on there and got 5 or 6 things for about $60, and free shipping for shortening over $50!
  • I did end up going to Ross this weekend and scoring a pair of non-maternity adidas shorts in a much larger size than normal for 12 bucks. Didn't have much luck otherwise but it's a start! 

• YodaIsGreenYodaIsGreen member
    edited July 2017
    I finally found maternity pants that fit. For all the petite women - try Adriano Goldschmied jeans. I got them from "a pea in the pod" but you can also buy them from Amazon.
  • On a related note, where is everyone putting their maternity clothes?  I don't have a huge regular wardrobe as I don't shop that often, but it still takes up all of my closet and dresser space.  I don't really feel like having to move all of my regular clothes to the guest room or storage (especially since most of them still fit) but I was given a huge stash of maternity stuff and it's just been sitting in a pile on the floor... 
  • @elcd458 - I bought the big tupperware containers and pulled all my winter stuff out of my closet and put it in there (one tub for things that def won't fit next winter and then one for things that might fit, so it's divided next winter if I want to try some of my bigger sweaters).  Then my maternity stuff is all going where my winter stuff used to be.  I left all my summer stuff and my long sleeve-T's out, because you're right, a lot of them still fit.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @elcd458  i was in the same mental boat as you the first time around but once you outgrow every item of "regular" clothing you will give in in frustration. i got some ginormous plastic containers and stored away all my regular clothes, organized as best as i was able by type or drawer or season, then i filled that space in my drawers and closets with maternity stuff. which is kind of laughable because i have way less maternity stuff. you won't need to move it all. 

personally the frustration of looking at my regular clothes was draining after a while so i ended up appreciating the move. i have some pieces that bridge the gap (will outgrow in the next month or two) and they will end up in their own bin at that point. 

instead of a wholesale change you could do half your dresser and half your closet, or something like that. whatever works best for you. unless you are blessed, you won't be right back to your old clothes after giving birth anyway so you'll be wearing this stuff for longer than you think. 

• @elcd458 So far the only stuff I've moved out is jeans/pants from my drawer, because I have three pairs of maternity shorts and two of jeans and no way would those have fit. Currently they're stuffed in a Macy's bag sitting on the floor of my closet, but I think maybe I'll get a Rubbermaid and put them in the garage. I still have plenty of room in my closet though my hanger supply is dwindling, and I use the velvet ones so I don't want to buy more. Eventually if I add more maternity tops I'd probably throw some of my fitted tops in there too (though 90% of my non-maternity tops are flowy).
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @Tennis11785 @anewadventure @MJDsquared Thanks y'all!  I do have some plastic tubs/baskets that I may try to incorporate. 

I have some obsessive tendencies with the way I put my clothes away, so it's been bugging me to think of either (a) mixing in the maternity clothes to fit the "system" I already have in place, or (b) finding a way to separate out the maternity clothes in a similar "system"---

because my brain cannot handle the thought of pants being mixed with shirts mixed with dresses mixed with tanks and AHHH 

• @elcd458 I'm the exact same way with my clothes--a place for everything and everything in its place, even if it only makes sense to me. So far all my maternity stuff is folded in neat little piles by my nightstand because I can't bring myself to reorganize... I have a big weekend of overhauling coming up and I still don't know how I'm going to handle this.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• kaylawingkaylawing member
    edited July 2017
    The Motherhood Maternity store by me is doing Buy One Get One for most of the store and all the jeans and shorts were 15$. I can't get myself to buy anything yet since some of my regular clothes still fit, but wanted to share in case anyone wanted to take advantage of the sale! 

Edited to add: I just checked online and it doesn't look like they are running the same sale. Maybe in store only? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @elcd458 - I'm OCD about my closet as well.  I decided that I would mix my maternity in with my non-maternity stuff and make it work in my current system.  I figure as I try on tops that don't fit/look right anymore, I will slowly move them to my tupperware bins.  But for now, it doesn't bug me to have them combined because (1) it's all just stuff that fit and (2) just like I can pick out/spot my favorite top or the most flattering top out in its section, I can spot the maternity items if I need something particularly giving on a particular day.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    Not exactly maternity wear, but I had to size up my lab coats at work.  The bump is interfering with buttoning them fully, right at bench level.  I feel like this somehow makes pregnancy more "real" to me than moving to stretchy/maternity pants.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well, the belly has expanded such that I can only wear a couple of my tops, so I have been shopping for tops.
    I have had good luck buying maternity clothes on ebay.  I just search for "maternity shirt lot medium" or similar and then place low bids on listings that contain 3 or 4 shirts that are sort of stylish.  If I win, I end up getting things for a few dollars each. It's cheap and easy, which is what I need right now.