Baby Names

Valerie George mash-up?

okay, so I thought I had names set for this baby. Our first two have middle names that honor grandparents, and this will likely be our last child so we are trying to honor the other two grandparents (George Valery for a boy or Valerie George for a girl.) HOWEVER, I am really sad about not using Cecily for a little girl now.

SO, my question is: is there some sort of mashup between Valerie and George that work work as a middle name? Theoretically I could name her Cecily Valerie and skip the george (since they all have my FIL last name anyway) or go for Cecily Valerie George, since I'm not opposed to two middle names (my husband has two, and when I changed my name I made my maiden name a second middle...)

ANYway, thoughts? If this baby is a boy, this is all a moot point anyway...

Re: Valerie George mash-up?

• NME44NME44 member
    Adding: we won't find out sex until baby is born, so it's not like a "wait to worry about it" situation.
  • Loading the player...
  • bbiutmcph said:
    Cecily Valerie skip George like you said the surname is there. 
    Thissssssssss
  • NME44NME44 member
    I should add George is also my husband's name. Not sure if that makes a difference (to him, I believe it does)
  • I think you should choose a name you love. Obligation shouldn't win when it comes to naming your baby in my opinion. I think Cecily Valerie is great. 
  • NME44 said:
    I should add George is also my husband's name. Not sure if that makes a difference (to him, I believe it does)
    I would still argue that the child is getting H's surname but it sounds like you really want George deep down so if that's the case use it.

I don't love it on a girl at all because I think George Foreman musing it for a bazillion Kids and I don't like two middles. I would also ask you H to see his thoughts. 

• NME44NME44 member
    bbiutmcph said:
    NME44 said:
    I would still argue that the child is getting H's surname but it sounds like you really want George deep down so if that's the case use it.

I don't love it on a girl at all because I think George Foreman musing it for a bazillion Kids and I don't like two middles. I would also ask you H to see his thoughts. 
    I did. He went for the two middles.
  • I'd stick with Cecily Valerie tbh. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • NME44 said:
    Do your other kids have his middle or something? I'm a bit of a bitch on men getting upset at their name not being used when the kids get his surname, but I can understand if your previous kids all have names representing your family.

In any case, I'd just talk with him and see if he'll come around to your viewpoint.
  • NME44NME44 member
    @Bringmemylongswordho, my son has my father's name as a middle, my daughter has my MIL's name for a middle. 

George is a family name for both sides of his family and it was also my great-grandfather's name.
  • NME44NME44 member
    I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I'm only adding background, not necessarily having an opinion on either. My main opinion is that I love Cecily, lol.
  • It just sounds like you and your husband both want to do the two middle names. What's stopping you from that, then?
  • I would definitely use Cecily over Valerie as a fn. Use the name you love! I think Georgia would be a good alternative to George for a girl, whether you use 1 or 2 mns.
  • I agree with the Georgia over George. I think that's a great middle ground!
  • I love both names Cecily and Valerie, but they don't go well together.  I also like the feminine forms of George better for a girl: Georgia/Georgette/Georgina.  But I think it's a lot of name. Throw a 2nd middle name in there, and you've got a real mouthful, IMO:

Cecily Valerie Georgia Lastname.  It's a mouthful.

Family connections were important to us in naming as well.  FWIW, between my 2 kids, we honor both their maternal grandparents and their paternal grandmother.  They have their paternal grandfather's last name, so we didn't push ourselves to work his first or middle name into the mix.  He was actually a little salty about it when we revealed DS's name, until we pointedly reminded him that EVERYONE in our family honors him by using his last name, including me!  He settled down after that!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I personally feel that picking a name that you and your husband love is way more important than choosing a name to honor someone, especially out of obligation.  

I would use Cecily if I were you. Since you are only planning on having three kids and have four people to honor, I think that you have two options for middle name.  One, you can name a daughter Cecily George Valerie and honor both.  Or two, you can have Cecily as the first name and use a completely different middle name of your choosing.  

It may seem odd to have two children with family middle names and one not, but I think that it's less odd than to leave out one grandparent.  I feel that the surname doesn't matter in this situation as he's not the only person in his family with that surname and it isn't a direct link to  him like you have with your first two children by using their grandparents' unique first names.

• NME44NME44 member
    @virginiaunicorn11, I think I would actually prefer just one mn, but it is important to me to honor both people. I was hoping that I was missing some awesome name that would honor both grandparents with one name. 

@neverblushed, there's actually some drama surrounding our last name which makes it not totally "honoring" but that's a story for another place and time. 

Reading these responses has shown me that, while I'd prefer one middle to match the other kids, it's more important to me to honor all of the grandparents. For now I think we will take both names (Cecily Valerie George - or Georgia - and just Valerie George - or Georgia) to the hospital and decide on the name after the baby is born. 

I really appreciate all the responses, as reading them has helped me sort through my own thoughts and what is important.  :)
  • queenbonequeenbone member
    edited June 2017
    You can't honor everybody with one child, nor can you honor all the people you want to if you are having a limited, modern number of children.

If you love Cecily, and your husband is agreeable to it, use that as the FN. I don't like the flow with Valerie, but think that Cecily Georgiana would be lovely. I don't understand the point of giving male names to female children and vice versa, there is a reason why there are female and male versions of names.  It's to honor a namesake of the opposite sex. Our friends named their son Harry to honor grandma Harriet, they didn't name their son Harriet. Why don't people do the same for baby girls?
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I love George Valery for a Boy, but I don't like George as a middle name for a girl. There is Georgianna, but that's a mouth full if she's going to have two middle names. I'd do Cecily Valerie.