Pregnant after 35

Pregnant at 43... What testing To Get?

hi all- I ghosted these boards back in the fall when I got pregnant the first time but unfortunately I lost that pregnancy. Happily, I just got pregnant again... at 43. All looked good in the ultrasound today so we're cautiously optimistic. In a month, I need to get genetic testing for birth defects, and I know the chances of them increase with age. Since I have various options (amnio, cvs, non-invasive) I'm curious what everyone eise's thoughts are? I know there's a risk of miscarriage with amnio, though it's probably the best way to test for abnormalities. No history of birth defects in either family. And I am likely going to meet with a genetic counselor. But any advice from this group would be greatly appreciated! 

Re: Pregnant at 43... What testing To Get?

• Congrats on the BFP and the ultrasound! We had a really great genetic counselor who explained all of the different tests as well as what insurance usually covers (being AMA meant most were covered! Ha). We opted to start with non-invasive and move to amino if the bloodwork came back concerning. 

In our case we started with a 1/127 chance of chromosomal abnormalities (I'm 37), but after sequential testing we are down to less than 1/10000. It's not a "guarantee" but it was good enough for us. 

We were offered genetic screens too, but declined due to no history on either side of our families and because it wouldn't change our pregnancy until baby was here anyway. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 40, and I'm also planning on the non-invasive blood screening, and I won't do amnio or cvs unless it gives me reason to.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • SarckSarck member
    Thanks for the reply. Going for blood test in a week -- good luck to us both (and anyone else taking those tests soon)!
  • SarckSarck member
    That's super that's really helpful info - thanks for sharing, and for the congrats :) went for our 9-week appt and heartbeat is going strong! Best To you, too!
  • I am 43, 6 weeks pregnant with my first child. I will definitely be getting tested, and will start with the least invasive. Great advice ladies...thank you!
    @Sarck Congratulations! Best of luck to you! I’m glad your ultrasound went well too!
  • I will get CVS at the end of July, will report back on what it was like.