January 2018 Moms

GTKY: Birth Plan

Re: GTKY: Birth Plan

• whitta1015whitta1015 member
    edited June 2017
    Fully planning on hospital birth with an epi. No elaborate birth plan here. I do hope that I don't have to be induced, though. I read that the rate of emergency C-sections are pretty high when a FTM has to be induced....and it just happened to 2 of my friends. I don't really mind the thought of a C-section, but I feel like it's something I'd rather be prepared for.
    However, I'm also weirdly terrified of the thought of ripping from a vaginal birth. :s
  • @whitta1218 if it makes you feel any better, I know a lot of FTMs, myself included, who have been induced with a vaginal birth. Only a small handful have had to have c-sections.
  • Loading the player...
  • @schaze That definitely helps! Thank ya ma'am!
  • I had no interest in going natural with DD1, just to make it as long as possible before getting the epi. Neither of us handled that well so when DD2 came along I took multiple steps to avoid an epi. 

Loved it. I'll plan on natural this time around, as well. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @whitta1218 I was also a FTM induction. I didn't have to have a c section, but they mentioned it to me a ton of times that a cesarean was a possibility. 

I'm so proud of the mom's having home births. I find that so fascinating and I enjoy reading the 'Birth Without Fear' website.
  • @libbberty an epidural (in my case) was continual meds.  I could control how much I got, but I could only get more every 5 mins.  I dont recommend this and would really only do it if I was progressing slowly or was induced.  It takes longer than the spinal to set up and is usually not an option if you are further than 8 cm along.  I progressed so fast I was 8 cm when I was first checked with DD2.  The epidural was great because I felt nothing, but I also couldn't walk for at least four hours after I gave birth and was still feeling pretty drugged.

With the spinal it set up within minutes and is administered the same way.  I don't know if it was because I was further dilated or in less pain but the spinal didn't seem to hurt as much as the epidural.  They warned me I had to have the baby within the next 1.5 hours otherwise it would wear off.  I had her 45 mins later.  My only complaint was I could feel her move down more and she had her hand up by her face when she was on her way out so I ended up pushing her out at the shoulders a little wider than normal, which might be part of it. I had a second degree tear, and could feel them stitching me up but then the gave me lidocaine and all was well.

My recovery and pp bleeding was much better with dd2, I was walking around with an hour of birth and felt great.  But my labor was only 4 hrs and she was born late morning so that might be something.
  • @whitta1218 I had a minor tear with my son -- one stitch. I was so nervous about tearing, but like with whoever had an episiotomy up-thread (too lazy to scroll, lol), regular ibuprofen was fine. Healed up like a charm.

But y'all, I did learn the hard way to do less plopping down into my seats. It was not fun, lol.
  • I would like an unmedicated birth unless they have to induce me, in which case I will probably get an epidural. But no induction unless necessary is what I would prefer
    This is exactly what I told my Dr when she asked me at my first visit with her. 
    I did say that if I got into it and wanted an epi that I wasn't ruling it out, but that my plan is  to labor at home as long as possible before going to the hospital 

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• I had originally intended on vaginal birth with an epidural, but with today's results (see FTM or Weekly Appt) I'll likely need a cesarean.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• kelk5kelk5 member
    Thanks @burnsmommy27 and @maueraa07, I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment when she will discuss this with me and if they have any information, videos, etc. I like the idea of know what all the possibilities are before going in.
  • CANTW82BMOMCANTW82BMOM member
    edited June 2017
    I absolutely hated my first birth experience. It wound up being the exact opposite of what I wanted. I was induced and got an epi after 15 hours and only being dilated 4 cm. I will admit that once I got the epi I was much more relaxed and progressed faster. After 24 hours I was able to push him out, so there's another example for you @whitta1218

This time, I'm literally hoping for a do over. My plan is to labor at home as long as possible and get to the hospital and have a med free birth within 15 minutes, just like @arzrocks! I'm also planning to start "trying" to get baby out 7-10 days before my EDD just so no one mentions induction to me again. I'm not totally sure how I'll go about doing this, but I'm definitely going to try acupuncture. 

ETA I'm also interested in learning more about hypnobabies. 
  • @whitta1218 I would've been an induced vaginal delivery if my darn pelvic archway wasn't too narrow. That's why I can't have this kid vaginally. I think it's entirely possible to be induced and still deliver how you want. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • As a FTM, I'm still considering my options in terms of a birth plan. Ideally, I'd like a non-medicated birth, but if the pain is unbearable, I will do an epidural. One thing I've decided for sure, is I do not want to get induced, so I will make that very clear to my doctor upfront. I think far too many woman are unnecessarily induced, especially in America, and I don't see the need for it. I also am opposed to a c-section unless it is a medical emergency. 
  • @darkrose88 out of curiosity  (I agree with too many women are unnecessarily induced) how long will you go before being induced, after 40 weeks I mean if labor doesn't start naturally yet.

I was induced with DD for Pre-E and I'd like to go into labor on my own this time if I can.
  • @burnsmommy27 I would probably wait 2 weeks. After that I'd agree to get induced. I have been told my doctor's office likes to induce after 1 week; however, my doctor's office has decided to make my due date based off of my LP, which is 4 days before the baby's u/s dating. That 4 days can make a huge difference in terms of the baby being ready to come out. So pushing it to 2 weeks would ensure I give baby some extra time. 
  • @darkrose88 yeah my doctors office won't let you go passed 41 weeks. There's a lot of controversy around when the placenta actually starts to break down. But sounds like you have 4 days of leeway anyways 
  • edited June 2017
    @burnsmommy27 I was induced at 41 weeks, 5 days. He was born at 42 weeks exactly. We  wanted to wait so he would get as big as possible.  We knew he needed open heart surgery, and bigger babies do better in surgery.

But by the time he was born, the placenta had broken down SO MUCH, and I felt guilty about that.  I hope he was getting everything he needed during those last few days. He was a lot smaller than they predicted during my last ultrasounds.
  • @PleaseSendPicklesNow yes it can be pretty scary not knowing if you're doing right or wrong by letting them cook longer.

My placenta was sent off to be tested and I asked about it at my post partum visit. Apparently it had already started to break down because of the Pre-E, that was at 37 weeks. It really freaked me out and I was so happy we induced and she was a-ok.
  • I'd love a natural birth at home, but I'm in a high risk twins pregnancy.  If the planets align, I might still get to do it vaginally, but I'm prepared for C-section.  (womp womp)
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• My plan right now is natural. I have severe scoliosis, so the option of having an epidural may not even be in the cards for me. Doctor said pregnancy should be fine, but labor may be a lot of back pain. Can't wait lol! 
  • Every time I read "plan on birth with Epi" I read episiotomy...and I think why would anyone PLAN that! lol 
  • @darkrose88 The point you brought up is the exact reason I'm glad baby is growing almost a week ahead of due date and we're keeping that due date. It gives me extra time to hopefully not get induced.  My mom went 4 weeks after due date with my brother because she refused induction and c-section. He was huge,  but he came when he was good and ready haha
  • I am looking forward to planning our third birth, home tub birth with our midwifery team
  • @myorke24 If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want LO to have a bath at the hospital? I've never heard that before and I'm genuinely just curious. 
  • @CANTW82BMOM  One of my dearest friends works in labor and delivery as a nurse-midwife and she mentioned when we were expecting with our son to delay or refuse the bath to allow the benefits of the vernix (white substance on baby when they are born) to penetrate the skin by being rubbed in. Great immune building substance! She said many new parents want baby all cleaned up immediately following their arrival but the benefits of waiting for home to bathe are well worth it! 
  • The hospital I delivered DD at did delayed bathing. They waited at least 24 hours after she was born.
  • @clearlyclara Thank you!! Great read! Just learned it also helps with the early regulating of their temp. which can be hard for many babies. Our sweet niece gave everyone a scare the first 24 hours not be able to regulate - makes me wonder! 
  • @Cantw82bamom our hospital doesn't even offer to bathe newborns!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DD I had an Olin medicated birth and it was awesome! Well actually it was rough , but I was able to move to whole time . She was sunny side up so my labor was 100% in my back. The monitor didn't even register the contractions so I hope this time I can get them turned before he/she starts the trip down the canal :) she turned right before she came out so that was great! But when I was in labor I was able to get in the bath whenever I wanted , birth in the ball , hands and knees etc . Moving around during labor actually helps it go faster . I also walked the halls and was able to get up and go pee about 15 min after she was born . I could also get myself into comfortable clothes etc by myself before we had all of our visitors come look at her . That's what I liked about it personally . In terms of an episiotomy I had everyone on the room ( my mom sister and DH) on patrol to NOT let the doctor cut me under any circumstances !! At my birth classes the doula gave me the annology of ripping a t shirt . If you pull it without a slit in it , it is really hard to tear. However if you cut it just a little and then pull on it it tears a lot farther ... that's all I needed to hear . When I brought it up with my ob to make sure he wouldn't do that , he said " well sometimes I won't be able to see it up straight if I don't cut you and it won't look as good " ... my response , I won't see it either way so I could care less .... DH doesn't care I promise . Another doctor delivered DD anyway so it didn't matter . I had my mom put warm compresses in between pushes with ginger and water and that seemed to help 
  • I was induced with my son due to gestational induced hypertension. They started me on pitocin at 8am, got my epidural at 10am, then they broke my water. I ended up having him at 5pm. My epidural was wonderful and I literally felt ZERO pain buuuut ended up with a 3rd degree tear and a hellacious recovery. When it was time to push my contractions were so long that DS heart rate was dropping & didn't have time to get back up in between contractions so my dr gave us 2 choices: vacuum or c-section. We chose the vacuum & he came out in 1 push which = 3rd degree tear. Once the epidural wore off I was in quite a bit of pain. It was painful to walk for 3+ months & I ended up having to have surgery at 4 months PP because I wasn't healing right. Also had to see a colorectal surgeon around 6 months PP because I was still having issues...ugh.

This time my doctor has recommended a c-section so I'm just torn (no pun inteded). Part of me wants to try another vaginal birth, I've heard of a lot of people that had bad tears the 1st time had better experiences the second time. I'm terrified of a c-section recover but then it can't be worse than what I went through last time right?? My doctor said I'm at an increased risk of bad tearing which could lead to fecal incontinence (ew!) so I'm thinking c-section is probably the way to go. Afterall, she is the one that stitched me up for 45 mins & used 100 tools so I'm thinking she probably knows what she's talking about. I wouldn't be so scared of the c-section recovery if I didn't have a will-be 3 year old too.

So no plan yet! If it's vaginal, there will be epidural...if not, scheduled c-section :)
    <3
    EDD: 1/28/2018
    Eli: 10/14/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KateT10 That sounds absolutely awful! Could you try for a vaginal birth again but if faces with the two options again, go the c-section route? 
    I hope your delivery experience is much better this go around! 
  • @KateT10 That sounds absolutely awful! Could you try for a vaginal birth again but if faces with the two options again, go the c-section route? 
    I hope your delivery experience is much better this go around! 
    That was actually the birth plan in my head before I went to my first OB appointment. But she explained that at that time when it's a decision between vacuum & CS...the baby is already down the birth control so if they do a CS they have to pull them out which can end up tearing your abdomen. Gah, that sounds awful too!!
    <3
    EDD: 1/28/2018
    Eli: 10/14/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Repeat c/s for me. Because I'm old and uterine rupture is a catastrophe I don't want anything to do with. 
    My first was a vaginal birth with an epidural and a huge episiotomy. Relatively easy recovery. My second was a planned c/s (medical reasons), and the recovery was MUCH MUCH harder. Vaginal is the way to go. I know the c/s was the right choice last time, and is the right/safe choice this time as well. But seriously I would not wish a c/s on my worst enemy. Mostly what I'm not looking forward to is the 2 weeks of feeling out of it after. With the pain I need all the oxy for 10ish days after, and I hate that high/dizzy/out of it feeling. It works for the pain, and it's major surgery so there is no way to tough it out, but I feel like I missed a lot of the newborn period because of the drugs. With my vaginal birth all I took was Motrin after. 
    -Emma

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really wanted an unmedicated birth at a birth center but being on lovenox took that off the table. So I'm going to attempt it at a hospital (possibly with a doula) instead. We'll just see I guess.