February 2018 Moms

35 and over Moms- July

chucksmom15chucksmom15 member
edited June 2017 in February 2018 Moms
I think instead of a weekly thread we might be better with one continuous thread so we can keep up with each other.  Let me know your thoughts and which you prefer- weekly or one thread.

How are you doing?  

GTKY-  What food are you craving right now?

Re: 35 and over Moms- July

• I'm ok either way - continuous thread may be nice.  Especially as we get new people on here.  I imagine more are coming in the next few weeks.

How are you doing?  I feel like I've been run over by a truck.  It might be simplest to list things that are going well.  1. My nails are normally thin and weak.  They are starting to look good and strong.  2. Dang, that was it...

What food are you craving right now?  I wish I were craving something.  I have a drawer at work full of things I've bought to combat the queasiness.  I have one bite and then shove it back in the drawer and continue my quest.
  • asly02asly02 member
    I don't have much for cravings, but orange juice tastes ridiculously delicious to me now! 
  • Loading the player...
  •  I'm feeling ok. Today, mainly some dull cramps. 

Craving dark chocolate-covered pretzels
  • I'm up for either one--weekly or continuous.  I'm not sure if a continuous one might get too overwhelming after a while.  Maybe monthly?

How are you doing?  The nausea is about to do me in.  If I can eat I'm fine, but it's finding something appealing to eat that's the hard part.  Other than that I'm doing okay.  Ready for my doctor's appointment tomorrow!

I woke up today craving seafood and got fried clam strips from our local seafood restaurant.  They were the most satisfying meal I've had in DAYS.  I just wish my body would stick with one craving--it's something new every day.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • clc515clc515 member
    How are you doing?  Pretty good, just same ole constant queasiness that gets worse through the day lol. Living off bagels and cream cheese, milk, cereal and watermelon. I miss food. I love food, but most things aren't appealing anymore. This is only temporary.......

No cravings yet. Definitely more sensitive to smell and taste though so there's that.
  • clc515clc515 member
    Also, don't mind if it's monthly or weekly. One thread through the next however many months may get to be a bit long, though. But I'll read whenever, I'm so glad there are others over 35 here too :smile:
  • I like the idea of a monthly thread.  I'll change this to July.  Thanks for the feedback!

I'm glad to see other FTMs in this group!

Sorry to hear you feel so bad @olitwinturbosnprincess.  I have spent a lot of time on the couch myself.

I ended up getting prescription meds for the nausea @awb1216 and @clc515  I couldn't take the all day every day anymore.  My next appointment is tomorrow too!

• @chucksmom15 What meds did they prescribe you?  And do they make you drowsy?  I'm going to ask at my appointment, but I'm afraid side effects will be as bad as the nausea.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • chucksmom15chucksmom15 member
    edited June 2017
    awb1216 said:
    @chucksmom15 What meds did they prescribe you?  And do they make you drowsy?  I'm going to ask at my appointment, but I'm afraid side effects will be as bad as the nausea.
    Pulling it out of my purse lol.  It is a generic for Zofran so the name is Ondansetron.  It is a tablet that dissolves under your tongue. I haven't had drowsiness from it and I t kicks in pretty fast.  The insert had a warning that if you are pregnant you should discuss if the benefits outweighed the risks.  I asked the nurse and she said she wasn't aware of any risks but they find a lot of companies CYA on drugs prescribed to pregnant women.

• How are you doing?  
    6w6d I don't have appointment until July 10th 8w3d  so starting to feel restless.  Food is driving me nuts...never hungry- and dry heave all the time.

None-food doesn't sound good ever!I 
  • Hi Everyone!
    I'm 39 and will be 40 at the end of July.  EDD is 2/19.

How are you doing?  **TW**
    I'm super nervous.  I've been hesitant to join the boards again - I had just started out with the Nov 2017 crew when a MMC was diagnosed 3/29, followed by a D&C 4/12.  Did not expect to be pregnant again so soon and have trying not to get my hopes up too much or jinx myself by saying too much.  Last Thursday night I began spotting and by Saturday morning I had heavy, red bleeding and cramps.  The bleeding changed over and became very dark and thick overnight.  I waitedg until Monday morning to call they doctor and went in yesterday for an ultrasound.  I thought sure I had miscarried on my own this time and they'd just check to make sure there were no signs of infection and that things were progressing ok.  I was absolutely stunned when they found a heartbeat of 109 and that I was measuring 6w2d, right on track.  The bleeding is coming from a large-ish subchorionic hemhorrage.  It's in the right horn of my uterus and the baby has implanted in the left horn (I have a septum) so it doesn't appear to be affecting the pregnancy.  So for now I just have to rest and keep an eye on the bleeding.  I'll go back next week for another UW.  I'm finding it hard to switch from expecting the worst to hoping for a better outcome.  At the moment I'm just here - not really even allowing myself to be cautiously optimistic.

No real cravings yet.  I alternate between really hungry and mildly nauseated so I'm trying to eat small, sensible meals every few hours.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @fatted_calf, I am so sorry you had to experience that scare! I hope everything works out well for you! 

There's a SCH support group on BBC that I found incredibly helpful when I had one. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BelhurstBride - thank you so much!  I'm going to go find it now!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm surviving.  This is my hardest pregnancy so far and honestly it really isn't that bad. I was just very lucky the first two times.   Food is not my friend right now. I'm hungry then first bite I want to throw it away. It's very frustrating.

No cravings. I've never really had them so I'll be surprised if I get them this time.  Guess we'll find out. 
  • How scary @fatted_calf!!!  Keep us posted.
  • @fatted_calf yikes that is scary. Keep us posted!
    There are a few of us from November 17 welcome :)
  • chucksmom15chucksmom15 member
    edited June 2017
    What testing (if any) is everyone getting??  I am having the NT scan and tests at 10 and 1/2 weeks and then another round of genetic testing at 12 weeks.  
  • What is the DNA genetic test called? That identifies the sex.
  • I'm doing the NIPT after I hit 10 weeks. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It sounds like it is called different things based on the company your doctor uses but it's all the same test @Chawk17.

Glad to hear that someone else has the same timing on the NT @BelhurstBride.  I read someone did it that early and had to go back bc it was too early.
  • I'm not having the NT Scan done. That's done around 13 weeks. That involves an u/s and blood work. 

I'm having the Non Invasive Pre Natal Testing done. It's just blood work. The recommendation is after 10 weeks. Last time I waited until 11 weeks. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Chawk17, it's NIPT. There are different brands used; Harmony, Maternti, ect. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @BelhurstBride and @chucksmom15 I wasn't sure it that was the nipt or not. I'm going in on July 10 for first appointment and I want to ask about testing. 
  • I'm getting the NIPT done on July 17th I believe. I was offered it last pregnancy but declined. This time I'm being a little more cautious because I'm four years older (41).  I'll be doing the NT scan around 12/13 weeks as well. 
  • What are the benefits to getting some of these tests done?  My biggest concern with AMA is Downes Syndrome .  But I wonder if there are reasons to know beforehand?  I don't know that knowing early would change anything and would just give me anxiety.  Are there other things that the screenings help with?  I guess it's time to do some research.  WHY are you getting the screenings?
  • What are the benefits to getting some of these tests done?  My biggest concern with AMA is Downes Syndrome .  But I wonder if there are reasons to know beforehand?  I don't know that knowing early would change anything and would just give me anxiety.  Are there other things that the screenings help with?  I guess it's time to do some research.  WHY are you getting the screenings?
    ***TW***We are getting the Harmony test and most likely the NT test done because there are certain circumstances in which we would terminate the pregnancy.  I also think it's beneficial to learn of any special needs beforehand so parents can prepare.

Plus there's the added bonus of finding out the sex a few weeks early.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • We are getting them done so if we have a child with special needs we can prepare mentally and logistically.  

Also like @awb1216 there is the added bonus of finding out the sex.

• @Chawk17, it's NIPT. There are different brands used; Harmony, Maternti, ect. 
    Thanks for this!!  I knew it had an acronym but wasn't sure about what it was.
  • @olitwinturbosnprincess, various reasons. 

For some, to make the decision to terminate. (Trisomy 18 and 13 are rarely compatible with life.) 

If you decide to go to term, to make sure you have any additional medical professionals present at the birth that may be necessary, most frequently probably being a pediatric cardiologist. Some may also choose a different hospital, possibly more equipped to handle what could be a complicated delivery/infant. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • clc515clc515 member
    Okay so my Dr. explained that I have basically 3 options for genetic screening, from least invasive (90-95% accuracy to know risk of downs syndrome and to screen for a couple other things), to a blood test (99% risk accuracy on DS and screen for other things, but will also tell gender), and then the one that takes amniotic fluid which is like 100% sure.

I'm going to call to see if they have paperwork I can read because I don't remember 100% of everything he was talking about.... but listening to the tests/opinions of you ladies... are there other other tests I should be asking about or are they all kind of the same thing?
  • @clc515, I believe your doctor is referring to the NT scan (u/s coupled with bloodwork), NIPT (non invasive prenatal testing, just bloodwork) and an amniocentesis. 

My dr prefers the NIPT, if insurance will cover it. She says it's most accurate. 

There are risks with an amniocentesis and that's usually only done if the NIPT or NT Scan come back with markers for Trisomy 18/13/21 or some other genetic disorder. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks so much for all the responses on WHY to test.  Sometimes I do get anxious when I know about a situation and can't DO anything about it.  (Really.  I'm not a control freak.)  But I definitely hadn't thought about possibly need additional medical attention during the birth.  That makes a ton of sense.
  • Note, have not fixed my signature, I am 35.  I'm very low energy and could go for a nap at any time.  I'm craving all the meat and cheese!
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • clc515clc515 member
    Thank you @BelhurstBride i think that helps!
  • Just drank the glucose drink for the 1 hour test.  Orange wasn't that bad.  Not going to make cocktails with it but didn't make me want to gag.  DH and I both have a family history of diabetes so I get to this now and at 28 weeks.  Yippee for me!
  • The lab told me to get the lemon lime...tastes like flat sprite.
  • I'm 37 and almost 9 weeks! Luckily no nausea but major chest congestion and fatigue. Cravings normal but can eat a lot lately! Was getting hot flashes the first few weeks and middle back pain but has subsided now. More assertive than normal ha! Anyone else? What is this? Hormones I'm guessing, not sure about tests yet.
  • May try lemon lime next time @Chawk17
  • Update:
    Yesterday's u/s showed growth that is right on track (7w 2d) and a heart rate of 137.  The hemorrhage has gotten a little smaller and is no longer actively bleeding.  Still on pelvic rest (no Zumba, sex, strenuous activity of any kind) but since my nausea has ramped up in the last week I don't feel like doing much so I'm perfectly happy to comply.  I go back for my first exam w/ the OB and another u/s in 3 weeks.  Until then we wait and hope the current trend continues.  Fingers crossed!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's great news @fatted_calf!!  Take it easy and rest up.  Keep us posted on how you feel.