December 2017 Moms
Options

Incorrect ultrasound?

So I'm not saying this because I'm convinced mine was wrong, and I know they are correct most of the time, but have any moms had am experience with baby changing gender? We had an ultrasound today 15w5d and I was told it's a boy but the parts are less pronounced than DS was and kinda off center? Like I said more than like we are having another boy (and we're happy!) But curious if any moms have any experience with the sex changing?

Re: Incorrect ultrasound?

• Options
    No personal experience here but my ob told me last time that her office averaged about 1 per year.
  • Options
    My SIL had an ultrasound at 16 or 18 weeks. The tech said they didn't have the best view, but he/she was about 80% sure it was a girl. At 20 weeks it was very clearly a boy. 

I hear more stories of girls turning out to be boys than the other way around. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tried to add to my post, but TB won't let me.

If the tech had a good view, you can be pretty sure. At 15+5 I can imagine it's not as pronounced, but then again, everything is still developing. It's the reason my midwife planned my 20 week ultrasound a bit later (20+2), so that the tech has larger organs etc to look at.
  • Options
    Well I've heard about it but I don't know anyone specifically so I guess take that with a grain of salt. 15 weeks is pretty early though so that could be why it's less pronounced. 
  • Options
    When I hear of US mistakes when it comes to guessing the baby's sex, I've never heard they guessed a boy and it was a girl - only the opposite. Was this at a boutique or with a trained tech with a radiologist at their disposal? Your anatomy scan should be in a few weeks so maybe just hold off on any announcing until then if you're unsure. 

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    My mom used to work in labor and delivery and she told me a story about a couple that had 3 boys and were told their 4th was a boy. When it was born it was a girl. My mom said the dad started to faint and she had to catch him lol
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • Options
    anewadventureanewadventure member
    edited June 2017
    i know someone this happened to -  "girl" turned out to be a boy. i've not heard much about it going the other way. you should have your A/S in a few weeks anyway, so they'll confirm at that time

ETA: words. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Tennis11785Tennis11785 member
    edited June 2017
    I guess I'm one of the few who has heard of it going the other way.  A mom was told it was a boy, came out as a girl.  Although that was in the late 70s, early 80s, so hopefully the tech has gotten better.  

ETA - clarity that it wasn't my mom that was told.  It was a teacher at my elementary school.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    It makes more sense to me that someone would be told boy and it end up being a girl. Doesn't all the genitalia stick out/kind of look like boy parts at first? And then if girl, it sort of... recedes?  While with a boy the penis becomes more prominent over the weeks. Actually now that I type that it sounds like it could still go either way, so just ignore me  :D
  • Options
    elcd458 said:
    It makes more sense to me that someone would be told boy and it end up being a girl. Doesn't all the genitalia stick out/kind of look like boy parts at first? And then if girl, it sort of... recedes?  While with a boy the penis becomes more prominent over the weeks. Actually now that I type that it sounds like it could still go either way, so just ignore me  :D
    From what I've heard it's more difficult to spot a girl, because you have to spot three stripes and those are easy to miss when you don't have a clear view. Whereas when a boy lies spread eagle it's hard to miss the two 'circles'.
  • Options
    It would definitely make a great story! And I know what you mean about the feet I have wide feet too!