June 2017 Moms
Options

Birth Control After Baby

We had a thread about this a while back, but I figured it's important enough to discuss again. What's everyone planning and why?

Re: Birth Control After Baby

• Options
    I had my 6 week post partum check up and I asked for the pill. I'd been on it for quite a while before babies and it always served me well. The dr gave me a script for one that only makes you get your period 3-4x a year but encouraged me to think about an IUD because she thinks its easier than having to remember a pill every day (and maybe less hormones?). I just can't get comfortable with the idea of an IUD in my body, plus I like the regular and less frequent periods with the pill. I'll be doing some more research though to see what's safest and most convenient for the long term. Oh btw, this is assuming we'd probably like to have another baby in about 2 years, but no sooner, and not definitively. Curious to see what other ladies have decided.
  • Options
    I had a Mirena before and loved it. I never got my period and it was so nice to not have to worry. I'll probably go that route again. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 7/11/09 TTC #1 Since 05/10
    BFP #1 09/20/10 Natural m/c 10/05/10
    BFP! #2 04/21/11... Beta 16 DPO: 437, 18 DPO:1446 Ultrasound 6w6d TWINS!
    Annabel & Sophia Born 11/28/11 at 34w6d
    BFP #3 10/4/16... Beta 13 DPO: 145, 15 DPO: 367 12/1/16 It's a GIRL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have a lot to offer based on my past experience. Last time I did the mini pill due to breastfeeding. Longterm I personally liked the depo shot because I never had my period and I didn't have to remember a pill. When I've got all kinds of kid and baby stuff going on I'm always doing things for myself last. Knowing this I had a really hard time staying on track with my pill. 

I had an unplanned c-section this time when my labor stalled after 43 hours. We decided 4 kids was enough had the dr due a tubal after baby was born.
  • Options
    Agree with @Waiting4Fred...Loved my Mirena, no periods and no pill to remember. Was worried that I'd miss a dose of the minipill and get pregnant before we were ready to expand our family. Will probably go with the Mirena again for these reasons.
  • Options
    I want my husband to stop being a wuss and get the snip snip.  He refuses so pull and pray I guess?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    sejicasejica member
    This is our first baby, and given our ages (I'm 34, DH is 42, and our birthdays are in Aug) we were thinking we might have the next (2?) reasonably soon, so probably skipping bc altogether. Though I did visit a friend who delivered twins 18mos after her first was born, so that seems like less of a good idea now. I think I naively assume that Irish twins (9-12 months apart) might be easier than a toddler and an infant, because the oldest might not be mobile? You all can probably convince me I'm crazy though and should get on birth control.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I struggle with this all the time. I'm breastfeeding and so my options are limited. I am tempted by the IUD but it's scary.
  • Options
    We decided to not do any birth control between #1 and #2. They will be almost exactly 2 years apart. I think I want a little longer between babies next time, but haven't decided what we'll do. I hated hormonal birth control and I'm not going to get an iud, so maybe a version of NFP? I also have some stomach problem we need to figure out before I get pregnant again.

Last time I got my period 11 mos after DD was born. Does anyone know if this is different between every baby? Or can I expect something similar this time?
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    We just used condoms between DD1 and DD2, they're 22 months apart, but this time I'm looking for something to regulate and lighten my periods and also looking for a bigger gap between this baby and a potential third child. After DD1 my period was really heavy (I breastfed and still got it by 8 weeks post partum). I'm 6 weeks post partum now (and formula feeding) and just got my first period and it's awful.
  • Options
    We didn't do anything between #1 and #2 because I didn't want to be on anything hormonal whole breastfeeding and we knew we wanted them close together (they're almost exactly 2 years apart and I was still BFing twice a day when I got pregnant again).  This time I think I want a third but DH doesn't.  I still don't want to do anything hormonal whole BFing.  DH is planning to get snipped eventually...we might go the NTNP route for 6 months or so once this LO turns 1 and if we get pregnant again great, if not he'll get snipped.  Until then I'll start temping and watching for signs of ovulation once I have my first PP period (happened at 6 months last time).
  • Options
    XathXath member
    I had a tubal because after 4 cesareans I'm done with pregnancy.  But I will say I looooooooved being on the Mirena between DS2 and this LO.  I loved it so much, I'm tempted to ask my OB if I can get it again as added insurance. 
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had Mirena for 3.5 years between kids. I will probably do that again until DH gets snipped. We don't plan on having any more children. 
    I liked Mirena because it made my periods very light (like one day with a panty liner). I got it removed in June and was pregnant in October, so not too bad with that either. 
    Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • Options
    We didn't do anything between 1 and 2, and they are less than 14 months apart. While I'm thrilled that they are so close in age, I want a little more  time before the next one! I'm planning to do an IUD - either Mirena or Skyla. I need to call and see what my insurance covers.
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited June 2017
    We used the diaphragm before, and I plan to go back to using it. It's not ideal - the whole having to put it in every time thing - but I refuse to do hormonal and an IUD is too expensive. Plus, H and I don't plan to space our kids super far apart (2-2.5 years) so it seems like a waste to get it for such a short time. 

Ultimately, when H and I are done, I would like him to get a vasectomy. 
  • Options
    Getting my tubes tied next week. Two kids is plenty for me.
  • Options
    @shmarpler I got my period back at exactly 10.5 months after #2&#3.  It came back earlier with #1 (8 months) but I had weaned her vs the other 2 I was still BFing.  I would assume if you are BFing the same amount as you did #1 then it would come back around the same time.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    @shmarpler I got my period back at exactly 10.5 months after #2&#3.  It came back earlier with #1 (8 months) but I had weaned her vs the other 2 I was still BFing.  I would assume if you are BFing the same amount as you did #1 then it would come back around the same time.  
    Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear!
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    @shmarpler DS1 switched to formula a 10 months and it came back at 11 months. DS2 weaned at 1 year but it came back a little earlier at 10 months.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD