October 2017 Moms

All About Breast Pumps

Hey ladies! I figured that a lot of us probably have questions about how to obtain breast pumps and/or are looking for recommendations about which pumps to get. So, here's the thread for all of your breast pump thoughts and questions! I found this post on BMC April 2017 and thought it was helpful. STM+ please add your comments, reviews, pros/cons, "what worked for you" for us FTM.  :)

Obtaining Your Pump
Most insurances cover a breast pump through the ACA (though I have recently learned that some plans are grandfathered in and do not provide this benefit). You can call your insurance company directly to figure out what they will cover for you, or you can use a tool on the Medela site to find what pumps your insurance provider may cover and through which vendors you can purchase your pump. Most of the vendors will allow you to complete a form online to request a pump, and they will verify with your insurance that you are covered and contact your OB/midwife for the prescription.

Choosing A Pump
If you are planning to pump a lot, you may want to look into the double electric pumps, like the Medela Pump-In-Style, the Ameda Purely Yours, the Lansinoh Signature Pro, or the Hygeia Enjoye (these are the most commonly covered double electric pumps). These pumps allow you to pump both breasts at the same time. If you go this route, I also recommend that you get a hands-free pumping bra (or make one with an old sports bra) for extra comfort. Not all pumps are created equal, so once you know what pumps you are qualified for, do some research and read reviews to see how other women liked different pumps before making your decision. In general, everyone will respond to different pumps in different ways, but there are some that have a reputation for being better than others.

Most breast pump companies also offer a single electric pump that will pump one breast at a time. These are generally more affordable and may be a better option if you cannot get a pump through your insurance.

If you are not planning to pump often, you may want to get a manual breast pump (like the Medela Harmony). These can only pump one breast at a time, but I know some women feel as though they are able to get more out with a manual pump, and they prefer them to the electric pumps. These are also more affordable if you are in the position where you cannot get a pump through insurance.

If you find yourself in a position where you require a hospital grade pump, contact your insurance to see if they will cover the cost of renting one. You will need to purchase your own accessories (tubing, flanges, valves, etc.).

Pump Accessories
Insurance companies do not have to cover any accessories for your breast pump. You will probably need to purchase additional values and tubing for your pump, especially if you pump often. What accessories you need will depend on what pump you get and how often you plan to pump, and most brands are not interchangeable with each other. Some accessories that you may want to invest in include:
  • An "accessories kit" for whichever pump you choose (usually includes additional tubing, valves, shields/flanges, and any other membranes your pump may need to have replaced)
  • Hands-free pumping bra
  • Breast milk storage bags (or additional storage bottles)
  • Cooler w/ice pack for storage on-the-go
  • Steam Cleaning Bags (that go in the microwave for quick sanitation of your pump parts)
It's also helpful to have an additional set of pump parts if you're going to pump often because it saves the amount of washing you'll need to do (I kept a set of pump parts at work and one at home so I didn't have to haul them back and forth every day).

Used Pumps
If a pump is not covered by your insurance, you may look into getting a used pump. Pumps that are "closed system" are generally the safest, as the expressed breast milk is never in contact with any of the internal pump parts - you would just need a new accessories kit for yourself.

Overwhelmed?
Contact an IBCLC! You can use this website to find one near you (if you are in the US). IBCLCs are generally happy to discuss your needs and concerns about pumping and can provide recommendations on which pump will best fit your needs.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: All About Breast Pumps

• If this is worthy please sticky @BumpAdmin
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    I have heard/read that if your insurance covers it, you wont be able to apply until the last month of pregnancy. Anyone have experience with this and know if that is true?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • tsa208 said:
    I have heard/read that if your insurance covers it, you wont be able to apply until the last month of pregnancy. Anyone have experience with this and know if that is true?
    I think it depends on your insurance. I contacted Aeroflow and they are handling it for me. I can order mine 3 months before my due date. I think it's a good idea to have it before hand to be able to take to the hospital if I need it there. I am a FTM and all of this is new to me too! https://www.breastpumps.aeroflowinc.com/
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @tsa208 I called and ordered mine about a month ago, but my insurance doesn't allow them to process the claim and get it sent to me until 30 days before my due date. 

Stupid question for STMs- what is the hands free pumping bra for? Does it hold the pump onto your nipples? 
  • Great info! To this I'll all that I've heard from some local mamas in my area this this is a fantastic, easy-to-use, "portable" hand pump that works well. https://www.amazon.com/Haakaa-Silicone-Breastfeeding-Manual-Phthalate/dp/B01F8W7CF0
  • Thank you so much for this info. I was lost and now I feel found! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @tsa208 I couldn't get my pump until after I actually delivered LO. It was super duper fun having to go back into the city (at the time) to try to find the one store that was open the week of Christmas who would give it to me.

Really hoping this insurance is not quite as ridiculous.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tsa208 I ordered mine a few months ago from Yummy Mummy and they are fixing to do all orders for October EDD at the beginning of July. 
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Here is an email response from Yummy Mummy regarding when they process the orders. I know each company/insurance company is different but just in case anyone ordered from them and are wondering a timeline. I am a FTM and a bit obsessive about wanting all baby things in my possession asap, lol, so thats why I emailed them.

***Hi xxxx,

Thank you for contacting Yummy Mummy.  We generally verify insurance and process orders according to due date.  We are currentlyprocessing orders for our Mothers who are due in September.  We've reviewed your insurance information and see your due dated listed as 10/01/17.  In July, we will begin processing orders for our Mothers who are due in October.

The delivery time frame is 5-7 business days from the processed date of the order.***
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jessirh said:
    @tsa208 I called and ordered mine about a month ago, but my insurance doesn't allow them to process the claim and get it sent to me until 30 days before my due date. 

Stupid question for STMs- what is the hands free pumping bra for? Does it hold the pump onto your nipples? 
    Yes, that's exactly what it does! So nice so that you can do little things for the baby or grab a snack or sip of water if you need to. I didn't buy one though, they are expensive. Just take a bra (sports or not) and cut a 1 to 2 inch slit in the center. Voila! Free pumping bra!
  • tsa208 said:
    For DS1, I was able to get mine at any point in my pregnancy (in the state of Washington, with my insurance).  I think you'll just have to check with your insurance plan.jessirh said:
    @tsa208 I called and ordered mine about a month ago, but my insurance doesn't allow them to process the claim and get it sent to me until 30 days before my due date. 

Hands free bra was clutch.  It holds the pump flanges/horns up against your boobs so you don't have to hold them (since most people will pump both sides at the same time)

Otherwise you're stuck holding like this for most types of pumps:
    Image result for breast pumping
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jessirh hands free bras are a must! It was super annoying not being able to do anything while I pumped with dd2 since I double pumped. I second the suggestion to just get a super cheap bra and cut holes in it, works just fine! 
  • Has anyone tried the Freemie Collection Cups? 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @stefanirn06 @ForwardnBackward @sjohns908 Thanks so much ladies! I've been wondering about those for a while. And I love the idea of cutting slits in cheap sports bras 
  • STM here and I didn't actually order my pump until around 4-5 weeks after my son was born. I wanted to be sure I was able to nurse and produced milk.  My insurance either gave you a free one (though it seemed cheap) or you could pay a copay for a Medela Pump in Style with the bag and all (ice pack/cooler included). I paid the $130 copay for the nicer one since I would be using it a lot. I think all that goes for around $300 at the store. Only thing I needed was a prescription from my doctor for the pump and to fill out a form to be submitted to insurance. The pump came in less than a week later. I still have my old one, but plan on getting a new one again if I'm able to nurse the twins.  
  • I'm following this thread with much interest. As a FTM I'm very overwhelmed by all the pumping machines and breastfeeding in general. It just seems hard and uncomfortable!  My insurance I believe covers pumps and I'm interested in the nicer Medela pump. Does that work with the hands free bra? Does any grade pump work with the hands free bra? I think the medela pump gets plugged so is your movement still limited by the extension cord or is there a way to use it batter operated and walk around the house? I certainly like the idea of hands free. How do you even double pump and control the speed of the pump if you have to hold two suctions??  Thanks to all you experienced folks for providing all the advice!!
  • @sophiakam A pumping bra will work with any electric breast pump. The bra just holds the flanges/cup to your boobs. If you, don't get a pump that allows you to either put batteries in a battery pack or has an internal rechargeable battery, than yes, you will be stuck to an outlet. Medela PISA (Pump In Style Advance) has a battery pack option and I know Spectra has the internal rechargeable battery. Hope this helps!! (I am a first time mom too and this is the information I have found during my research)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I ordered a Spectra 1 through my insurance. Do any STM+ have any tips or suggestions for a new Spectra 1 user?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @ChocolateIsLife @tsa208 ordered mine a couple weeks ago from Yummy Mummy as well for my 10/5 EDD. Received the below email on June 30th

-----

Yummy Mummy is touching base with you to let you know that we are working on your order for a breast pump. This order is pending and according to your insurer¹s guideline, will be shipped no earlier than five weeks before the baby has been born ( based on the due date). Remember to let us know if your baby's due date changes.

-----

Nice to get an unprompted update with what my insurance allows! 

• @nhoover88, thank you! Very helpful. 
  • What does anyone know about the Lansinoh Smart breast pump? My insurance only covers a manual pump but I'm going to get a double auto pump for my own sanity and I feel like I actually need it. 
  • QUESTION: I have the medela pump in style from my dd. When is use it it would leak from the bottom of the shield and never figured it out. It would leak unless I was bent over and with a csection that was a big no go lol. Any advice?
    If it leaks like that, I'm worried going hands free with a bra will be a disaster. 

Also My Dd is 2 and idk if this insurance will cover a new one 
  • @MommyKay Your insurance probably does cover a new one for each pregnancy. I'd call and see. I just ordered the spectra s2 (but they won't process the claim until 30 days prior to due date).
  • @nofearinperfectlove  I ordered the spectra s1!! I hope I like it! FTM here.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @mommykay my insurance covers an additional electric after 18 months or a manual pump for each pregnancy.

I'm just glad I have a friend who ordered an electric through insurance and never opened it so she gave it to me. I'll order my own and now I'll have one for home and one for work
    Me: 28 | Him: 31
    Married: 11/12/16
    BFP: 02/09/17
    FTM | EDD: 10/13/17

Pregnancy Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @mommykay did you use the right size flanges?  Maybe you need to be fitted for a different size.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • abaumeabaume member
    I have the medela pump in style travel, I loved it with my first. I didn't have any leak issues but I know sometimes the flange size may need changed. I also have a manual pump and that thing is a lot of work. I wouldn't recommend it for daily use. 
  • @ForwardnBackward@abaume
    when I pumped it was as pictured for correct fit. A size bigger would have had too much room around the nipple and the size smaller didn't let my nipple in if that makes sense. I also was in the hospital and they fitted me their.
  • My daughter is almost 18 months and my insurance covers a new pump. Just has to be within 3 months of the due date for my particular insurance. I also found out that for the spectra s2 they provide replacement parts every 4-6 weeks and can auto ship them to me for free. 
  • jsh5jsh5 member
    I had the Medela pump with my first son. I liked it. I've been reading about the Spectra and read it helps increase supply because of the higher suction. Has anyone else read this? Or used both and have any advice on which is best? I had low supply with my first son and am hopeful I'll be able to supply more this go around.
  • @jsh5 I used the Medela with my first but I also have talked to other moms that agreed that the Spectra does have suction that is supposedly better or stronger or more similar to that of the baby. my friend who had supply issues said when she switched to the Spectra her supply did improve.
  • @mwill291 Thank you! I am a FTM and I ordered a Spectra, it's nice to hear of someone that has used it and has had good results!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • jsh5jsh5 member
    @mwill291 Thank you! I am leaning towards ordering the Spectra in hopes I am able to produce more milk this time.