May 2017 Moms
Options

Pets and baby

I was worried how my dogs and cat would handle having a new baby around. The dogs were very curious at first but now they have settled into​ our new routine. The cat is still ticked off, but from a distance. Did your animals do well when bringing home baby? Any major changes such as finding a new home for them?

Re: Pets and baby

• Options
    Love the picture!

Our dogs have done a great job adapting and don't seem to mind the baby. Lots of sniffing though. We typically go on an evening walk.

One cat loves him and wants to sit next to whoever is holding the baby. She's super sweet and calm. She lays on his blankets/clothes/changing table. Our other cat hates when he cries and yowls. Once he climbed me while I was holding the baby. 

Overall I think it's been good.
  • Options
    Our dog has been adjusting fine. He's certainly not in love yet but he's interested and gentle around her. We've only been home 2 weeks today. I think once she becomes a little more interesting he'll like her a lot more. And I know once she's a toddler he'll love her bc he loves every 2-5 year old he's ever met. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So I was initially worried because we have a very high energy dog, but he's exceeded our expectations. He is much calmer in general and will sniff her sometimes. When she cries hard sometimes he walks to another room because he's annoyed by the noise lol
  • Options
    Both of my dogs were perfectly fine with adding another baby, they are outside dogs though so don't have to deal with him much. One has since been stolen/let out though so I've had to deal with the anxiety of the other dog being alone ontop.

for everyone with cats, especially if they like the baby, be very very careful, it's cute, but cats love warm places, and quite often end up in the crib with the baby, there have been a few cases of cats sleeping on babies faces and suffocating them. I'm sure you're all ontop of it, but yeah, keep cats away from sleeping babies.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog @PartiallyDomesticated:'( any hope of him coming home soon? Or has it been too long? That's tough! 
  • Options
    MTB16MTB16 member
    Our 2 cats have adjusted surprisingly well! I was so worried because the cats are cuddly love bugs who want to be with or on us 24/7. They check on the baby when he's fussing, and still sleep in bed with us every night, despite the fact they get woken up by his crying. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 she's been gone for nearly 3 weeks now, I've lost hope of her coming home.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated I'm so sorry about your dog!

• Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated YAYE!! Yes, shocking after 3 weeks but so excited your dog is found!!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    Yay!!! So glad to hear that @PartiallyDomesticated !! What great news. 
  • Options
    Life for my blind dog is the same as it has been. My other dog, a wonderful poodle named Phoebe, has been fantastic. She's my baby girl, and I was worried about her jealousy. She's been a little jealous, but mostly, she's just been loving and perfect. She sits by Tommy, and when he cries, if I'm out of the room, she will run to get my attention, then go back and sit by him until I get there. If I'm in the room and he cries, she watches carefully until he calms down. If he cries when someone other than me holds him, Phoebe gets a little too involved and will try to get up to him and lick him. She doesn't trust other people to make him feel better. 
  • Options
    Tommy was on the floor and I had been playing with him. I decided to go wash my face while he was down and in a good mood. Phoebe stayed with him. In this photo, Tommy had started crying. Phoebe is blurry, because she was looking back and forth between me and him. When he cries, she likes to stay with him, but sit where she can see me. I took this from the bathroom doorway.
  • Options
    My 9 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix has been great with DS. She alternates between apathy and concern. She'll try to lick his head sometimes when he cries. I'm just happy that she seems protective of him and isn't jealous. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    @MollyandD that's adorable! Have you read "good dog Carl", books in a seies?
  • Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated totally agree about being safe with cats since they love warm places!

We set up all the baby items a few months early- pack n play, crib, swing, etc. And the cats immediately wanted to sleep in every single one. We were worried because we didn't want them sleeping next to baby or in any of these spaces. We ordered this air spray (link below) that goes off by sensor and put it in each place. It's kinda pricey, but was well worth it! It only took 1-2 times for the cats to jump in, get sprayed by air, freak out, and never go in there again. So happy we did this before baby came! The kitties are now well trained and stay away from any of the baby's sleep areas.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RIA95G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated huge congrats for your long lost dog returning home. What sights must have been seen. I keep imagining that movie Homeward Bound and am glad you had a happy reunion.

Our dog did not take well to another child, and I'm sad to say we had to rehome him. It was a very difficult decision but best for all, including him. He was progressively more food aggressive and would stalk my toddler and bite food out of her fingers. After my toddler started saying "bad dog" to both him and me "bad dog mama" and he bit her after dinner one night, I knew it was time. So sad but there's so much more peace in our home and he has a second chance at happiness. 

Glad to hear so many success stories. Good job with your fur babies, mamas!
  • Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated huge congrats for your long lost dog returning home. What sights must have been seen. I keep imagining that movie Homeward Bound and am glad you had a happy reunion.

Our dog did not take well to another child, and I'm sad to say we had to rehome him. It was a very difficult decision but best for all, including him. He was progressively more food aggressive and would stalk my toddler and bite food out of her fingers. After my toddler started saying "bad dog" to both him and me "bad dog mama" and he bit her after dinner one night, I knew it was time. So sad but there's so much more peace in our home and he has a second chance at happiness. 

Glad to hear so many success stories. Good job with your fur babies, mamas!
    I'm sorry that you had to rehome your pet. I worked with animal control for 5 years and the number of bites I cased out that included child vs family pet was scary. You did the right thing. I still won't leave my dogs alone with baby because you just never know. Now your family can rest easy and your pup is no longer stressed over babies.
  • Options
    @kateriee thanks for the validation. It was a very challenging decision but ultimately the right one. Just not worth the risk of significant injury