December 2017 Moms

Picking a Baby Doctor

So I was thinking that with our first, we did a lot of research and toured a lot of offices before picking DD's pediatrician (and after we picked they sent us lots of free stuff, yay!)  This time, no one has mentioned the pediatrician.  Do we just call and add a 'plus one'?  :)  Also, I thought this might be a good place for FTMs to ask any questions they may have before picking a doc.

Re: Picking a Baby Doctor

• I would just call and ask or put it on your list of questions for the next appointment.

I go to a family practice clinic associated with the major hospital in town.  The clinic had me select from their OB/GYNs when I got pregnant, since my PCP at the clinic doesn't do OB.  I had seen one of the doctor's on the OB list when I had had a same-day appointment for an urgent problem, and I had liked her a lot, so I picked her.  She also does pediatrics, so baby will stay in her care going forward; they did ask me about this recently to confirm my choice.  

My big thing with pediatricians offices is that they require patients to adhere to vaccine schedules; there have been outbreaks in my town due to low rates of vaccination and I would like to reduce LO's exposure to unvaccinated people as much as possible.
  • I highly recommend using the same pediatrician for all of your children, it's a huge pain in the ass to have different kids go to different doctors. It will also make your life so much easier, as most offices will give you back-to-back appointment times on the same day so you can get all your kids in on one trip.
    Since you're already established with that doctor, just give them a call and let them know you're having a baby due this December, and would like to have him/her seen by the same pedi as your DD.
  • Loading the player...
  • I highly recommend using the same pediatrician for all of your children, it's a huge pain in the ass to have different kids go to different doctors. It will also make your life so much easier, as most offices will give you back-to-back appointment times on the same day so you can get all your kids in on one trip.
    Since you're already established with that doctor, just give them a call and let them know you're having a baby due this December, and would like to have him/her seen by the same pedi as your DD.
    This is what we're planning to do!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • When do you need to start looking for a Pediatrician? FTM here. 
  • abcolaabcola member
    @Amber_Waves I'm on the same page with you about vaccinations... keep me and my child away from those who dont... or aren't on schedule... 
    That being said that is my #1 question to pediatricians offices. Then I look for their location in relation to my house/work and have narrowed it down to 2. I'll probably go in to have an informal 'consultation' with both and then decide based on how our personalities are. I'm looking for someone who will tell me straight up what to worry about and what not to worry about and I want to be able to believe them when they tell me. I also dont want someone who is going to talk down to me as I am an educated adult.... and is good with kids... phew thats a lot of things! I think its just a feeling.... and if it doesn't work out you can always change your mind and go somewhere else. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • NME44NME44 member
    We just call and add a +1. I'm pretty sure my husband already told him
  • No help here... Our pediatrician is my husband's friend's wife, so we lucked out. She wasn't even accepting new patients when we had DD. And she was actually one of the first people we announced to this time around! She was leaving our health system to go to another and we asked if we followed her, if she'd take siblings. Of course, she jumped for joy and was surprisingly more excited than our in laws! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're adding the new one to our pediatrician. They have a form on their site and just said to call when baby is born and schedule the first appointment. Things to look for: separate well and sick waiting rooms, 24 hour nurse line, weekend/holiday hours (our practice is part of a group and the main office is open in the evenings and on weekends. It only closes on Christmas and Thanksgiving.), I do recommend going to see the practice, talk to the doc, see what the exam rooms and waiting rooms are like, etc. Our practice also uses preservative-free vaccines, which apparently have fewer side effects (it's often the preservatives that make the kids tired/sore/grumpy), so that was a cool thing I didn't even know to ask about. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017