January 2018 Moms
Options

Flying alone with toddler?

My family in California really wants me to visit but it means I'd be flying alone with my daughter. I'm thinking of going late August, she would be 19 months by then and I'd be 18w. What do you think? Is it crazy? Any STM done this in the past? Tips? Thanks!

Re: Flying alone with toddler?

• Options
    Dani0329Dani0329 member
    edited June 2017
    I've done it, it wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be, just takes a lot of planning!

-shows, movie on ipad
    -coloring games (I brought an etch and sketch sort of thing). 
    -recommend carrying baby through security (I did not have to take her out and let me have free hands. (I did have candy to pass her back for long waits).
    -I put her car seat in the stroller and then gate checked the stroller to help free up space. 
    -I used a clutch purse I could fit in her diaper bag. 

We flew solo at 11 months and 2 and a half!

ETA: tips

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just flew alone with both of the kids this past winter. It was fine. Prior to that I flew alone with DD1 several times- once from NY to CA. Also was fine. 

Only once did I bring the stroller. I hated it. I checked it on the return flight. It was just too much shit to deal with. I prefer to wear baby and carry one bag and otherwise be hands free. 

How long of a flight is it? For my cross country flight I went with a red eye, she slept the whole time. 

Otherwise bring new toys and or coloring stuff (if she's into that.) If she's into TV yet (mine weren't at that age) movies are definitely the way to go. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've done it many times. I highly recommend the cozy phones (headphones for toddlers) on Amazon. Pack snacks, dollar store toys, and a tablet. 
    In a few weeks I'm flying alone with my toddler (he's 2 yrs old today), to Germany. It's 3 flights each way, The transatlantic flight is 9 hours. I'll be 14 weeks on the way there and 18 weeks on the way back. DH is coming but because of work, has to take different flights. It's not easy flying with kids, but it's doable. I know kids under 2 can fly for free, but I HIGHLY recommend buying a seat for a child over age 1. We flew with DS as a lap baby to Europe when he was 5 months, and it was fine . The international flights actually have a bassinet that attaches to the bulkhead for babies. But with a baby over age 1 there is no way you can hold them for more than an hour. Especially if you are pregnant.
    -Emma

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've done it a bunch of times, and I'd definitely recommend purchasing the toddler a seat, especially since you're pregnant.  It really makes it a ton easier.  I like having my stroller to help carry stuff, bags, kid, carseat (on a rotating basis), but I always bring my wrap too, often treating the stroller like a pack mule and carrying the kid.  Otherwise: ipad and tons of snacks!  
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    Wow! You all have amazing tips! Thank you  <3 I feel a lot more encouraged now. Can you sit the child in a car seat if you purchase a second ticket? I'd feel so much better if DD was strapped in and not trying to walk all over the place.
  • Options
    @agalvarado you can use a car seat, just make sure it has the FFA approved sticker on it. You can google your car seat and find out if it's FFA approved. There are also fairly inexpensive ones that are approved if yours isn't.
  • Options
  • Options
    @agalvarado Not many tips but I'll be doing the same thing, I believe though DD will be 23 months! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    We took DS on a 4 hour flight over Christmas. We certainly learned from that experience.
    Definitely buy them their own seat. We didn't and DS was all over the place. We could hardly keep him contained to sit with us no matter all the 'goodies' we brought.
    Bring a car seat and strap them into it in their own seat. We didn't do this either and wish we had! Thinking DS would've slept longer if we simulated air travel like car travel.
  • Options
    Late to the game here to comment but I wanted to chime in to say you can do it! I've flown solo with my toddler over a dozen times. It's do able. There are a lot of good tips here. 

I'd add:
    look on Amazon for headphones that are a comfy, soft headband. My kiddo will keep those on way longer than traditional headphones. 

download movies or shows prior to leaving for the airport to their favorite device 

make sure any apps you use don't require Wi-Fi. 

when desperate, just buy the Wi-Fi. worth every overpriced cent when used as needed

I highly recommend the Senera Next carseat. It's $50 at Wal-Mart and super easy to transport in the airport. My Britax clicktight is a behemoth to lug so we have a travel seat

You will have to check your stroller if it weighs more than 20 pounds. They have always weighed it when I check in.

Don't be afraid to ask or accept help. I get way more offers for help when I'm alone with my kid than any other time. It's ok to accept it. 

finally, check with the gate people to see if there is a tsa line for families and employees. There is at O'Hare and it cuts my time in line down drastically. So worth the little extra walking.

Good luck! 
  • Options
    Spring for the extra seat and try to time your flight for nap or meal time.  

Buy a new toy to introduce during the flight.  Magnetic books or dolls are fun and quiet.

• Options
    Also...skip the family boarding.  The less time you spend on the plane the better
  • Options
    @mountaingirl5280 yessssss! We always skip the family boarding with our toddler! I always see people with 2 year olds running to the front of the line, and I'm just sitting there until the last possible second letting my kid run out all his energy. The less time he is trapped in a seat, the better.