January 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions Thread: 6/25-7/1

Got a question? You're probably not the only one! Ask 'em here.
DS1: Nov. 2013
DS2: Jan. 2016
DS3: Dec. 2017
Baby #4 on the way!

Re: Weekly Questions Thread: 6/25-7/1

• I see so much conflicting information online regarding the safety of drinking freshly squeezed juices! What are some of your thoughts on juices that are made to order (not bottled and refrigerated for the day!)? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Cricket99 said:
    @dcamp18 If you are watching it being squeezed and are drinking it immediately I don't see any problem with it. It would be just like eating a piece of fruit right?
    I assume you'd also want to confirm that the exterior of the fruit was thoroughly washed prior to cutting, as well. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would say that it's probably ok. But being paranoid, I'm avoiding those. I know that it takes a lot of work to scrub a juicer clean.

But I still eat fresh salad from restaurants sometimes, even though I know they didn't wash the produce like I would. Living on the edge.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Question for STM+:  Have any of you traveled (for pleasure) with a newborn?  DH has this weird wild hair up his ass where all of a sudden he thinks next year would be a grand time to plan an extended stay in a beachhouse or condo, but legitimately the only way I'd be able to go is if I was already off work for maternity leave.  We hadn't discussed the specifics of how long I was taking yet, but I believe my employer will continue to pay their portion of my insurance premiums for 6-7 months.  Still, I'm not sure how I feel about getting on a plane and spending several weeks away from home.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• @WildMagelet Just a ftm here, but I have a friend who had to take her infant on a plane because her mother was dying, and she wanted to see her.

The doctor cautioned against it (preemie baby, but a couple months old, so equivalent to gestational full term) because of the risk of RSV, but didn't forbid it. She went in the plane, and the baby caught RSV, and ended up in the hospital for a couple weeks. She barely got to see her mom. The baby's ok now.

But the risk of RSV might cause your pediatrician to caution against travel on planes before 10 weeks. However, there is a vaccine-- not sure if they recommend it for this situation. Most babies get RSV before they're two, but it's a lot worse if they're very little. It may really be only a concern for preemies and babies with lung issues, though.

Which is a long way to say-- check with a pediatrician before booking the flight.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• @WildMagelet We started traveling with our DS when he was 3-4 months old. We did a few car trips at 3 months, then plane trips at 4,5,6,7,10 and on months. If you are comfortable with it do it! We have found that it is sooo much easier to travel with a baby before they are mobile. Now that DS is a toddler and into everything it has become much harder.
  • EagsEags member
    edited June 2017
    @WildMagelet we didn't take DS on vacation until he was right at 6 months. We had a blast. We drove a few hours to the beach. 

ETA: my SIL brought her 2 week old on family vacation to the beach for a week. She said it was easier than being at home because she had extra help with all of us there. 
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Self tanners??  Are there any self tanners considered "safe" during pregnancy? I've been researching and kinda getting mixed answers.  I'm having a hard time getting out in the sun :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm in sales and have some customers at the airport. This requires me to need to go through TSA and the body scanner. During my last pregnancy I always went through and never thought anything of it. However, this time I was second guessing whether or not I should. So I went with the intrusive pat down which took long and was just overall annoying. I will be at the airport again on Wednesday and am thinking I will just go through the scanner. I will need to go through it about once every 4-6 weeks. What do you ladies think? 
  • @CANTW82BMOM I personally would not go through the scanner that frequently. I'd opt for the patdown.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • @CANTW82BMOM I also have been opting for the pat down. It's uncomfortable but worth the peace of mind
  • @WildMagelet we took our 2mo twins to the beach on a 15 hr car ride. You just have to rememebr you're traveling with a newborn and it's going to be much different. DH and I are very relaxed and we had a great time! Just remember sunsceeen doesn't work on them and to keep them in the shade or covered up. Here's on of them lounging on the beach! 
  • @ReadytoRun77 I used self tanner when pregnant with DD. I used St Tropez. My doctor gave me the green light and DD had no issues... hope that helps!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @WildMagelet we took our daughter on a 3 hour flight when she was 6 weeks old for a family wedding. The pedi was totally fine with it and just offered to do some of the vaccines a week or so early. I was also breastfeeding so he wasn't as worried about her getting sick.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CANTW82BMOM I've been opting for the pat down. It's definitely annoying but I figure better safe than sorry. 
  • Question: Has anyone here had chorionic villus sampling? We're having it done next week, and frankly I'm scared. How much does it hurt?
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    edited June 2017
    @KLake42 @Cricket99 @Eags @jesscmv @crizz13 - Thanks ladies!

We'll have to wait and see what work says about the potential FRL and how long I'll actually be able to be off, but the more I think about a gulf-front condo or beach house the better ;)   And he wanted to invite a bunch of family down to stay with us (staggered, not all at once) so we'd get potentially get some R&R and family time without having to host at home.  He wants to get one of those month-long condos (he gets 3 weeks vacation and will have 2-3 weeks of other paid leave days saved up by then) so as long as we can take the dog I think I'm good.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• @jesscmv I can't with that picture!! She is SO adorable!!
  • kelk5kelk5 member
    @CANTW82BMOM, I asked my doctor about flying and she didn't caution against going through security. It is a back scatter scan and not an x-ray so it should be okay. But I would call and ask my doctor if you are nervous or having to do it frequently. I'm flying this weekend and plan to go through the scanner
  • @jesscmv I can't with that picture!! She is SO adorable!!
    Thanks! She a little turd of a 2 year old now lol!
  • @CANTW82BMOM not sure if you're still looking for input, but I asked my OB today since I'm traveling over the next two weeks (I asked due to your post, so thank you!). She said it's a very small amount of radiation, so if you do, don't beat yourself up, but that if she were me, she'd do the pat down because it's not that much of a nuisance, and we don't always have such easily accessible alternatives available to us.