August 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY 6/26

edited June 2017 in August 2017 Moms
What’s something horrible that everyone should try at least once?

What is something you wish you never tried? 

Re: GTKY 6/26

• Options
    Childbirth :D Just kidding! It can be hard, but beautiful, and so rewarding. 

Sushi. I had to know what all the craze was about, and it was disgusting! 
  • Options
    Working retail or customer service. I've only ever had one job that didn't involve me working with the public in some capacity or another whether face to face or by phone. You can tell the people who haven't and act like rude jerks who the world should center around.

I would say camping. We went for a roommates birthday in college and they promised we'd go somewhere with bathrooms. When we go there they drove past all the sites to the top of the mountain so we didn't have to worry about being quiet and not disturbing others. I over ate all the camp junk food and wound up having to poop in the woods.  Never again. DH begs me but I don't trust anyone that they'll go somewhere with a bathroom. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    1. Oooo I like @SouthernMama15 suggestion for customer service.

2. Tequila shots? They look so fun with the salt and the lime- but I get mean on tequila shots. I'll stick with my tequila in a margarita. 
  • Options
    Roller Coasters. I mostly really hate them but every few years I get a weird itch and "enjoy" them for a summer by really pushing myself to get past the fear.

Scotch. I just... can't enjoy it and I think even smelling it gives you a pretty good idea about how horrible it tastes.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1) Malort...its like some gross Chicago right of passage. I will +2 for working retail. 

2) going to a football game. They are long, it is usually freezing (again, chicago) and not that much fun. Just wait for baseball, hockey or basketball. In this city they are more fun and have a much greater chance of ending in a win.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    1. @SouthernMama15 totally agree. For varieties sake, I think everyone should visit another country where the native language is different from your own and figure your way around. Studying abroad was the best thing for me, and I wish everyone could try it.

2. Cigarettes 
  • Options
    1) Performing on stage.  I have been singing for most of my life, and I played most instruments with a reed in school.  Performing has been something that has always made me feel really good.  I get super nervous before (even if its just at church), but the high you feel after you are done is amazing! 

2) Super spicy food, like Habanero peppers, or ghost chilis.  I like spicy food, but something that spicy makes it impossible to taste anything after that! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    Anything that disgusts you personally. I went to a live talk by Andrew Zimmern once (he of "Bizarre Foods") and he said people always ask him why he tries such disgusting things. He told a sweet story about convincing his son to try something that he thought was disgusting- root beer floats!- because you just never know, right? His son ended up loving root beer floats. So, Andrew says, you never know what might become your root beer float!
    Like sushi. Never tried it until my 20s but now I love it (except sea urchin... tried it, yuck). 

"All you can drink" packages at bars or events (i.e. New Years). I always try to get my money's worth and it ends disastrously. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1. Getting your CDL and driving commercially. I have my commercial drivers license and I used to drive for a living, but the liability and unpredictability of others on the road freaked me out and so I quit. There are a lot of people that give zero respect to large vehicles. I will always always always give a commercial vehicle space. Even small accidents can be deadly.

2. Tofu. I tried it to say I did....but I hated it.
  • Options
    Attending an event where you don't know anyone. It's totally terrifying but also amazing. Terrifying because you're totally solo but amazing because you'll learn a lot about yourself, maybe get out of your comfort zone, and meet new people (hopefully make new friends). 

Using the rural bathrooms in China. (or probably other countries as well). They are just holes in the ground with a board on each side for standing/squatting "support," and no dividers between one whole and the next. Horrible experience!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    1. Year old frozen wedding cake? It's the only thing I can think of where I don't come clean with people about how awful it tastes. 

2. Pork for me because I'm allergic but always forget and wind up getting horribly sick afterwards! It's my own fault. 
  • Options
    Going to a different country and experience the food, atmosphere and culture. I went a several years ago to El Salvador since I am half Salvadorean. It was amazing just as going to Mexico was too. When I was younger we use to travel a lot to Mexico and just tasting the foods and seeing the culture was a good experience and sight seeing.
    Shopping. I always end up buying things I don't need.
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @taylormarie923 we actually loved the top tier of our cake on our anniversary. It was huge and we were home visiting our family (which is also where we got married) so my mom had it in her freezer. We ate the whole thing with our family over the course of the week basically shuttling the cake from house to house and everyone enjoyed it.

@PinkPrincessPiper I miss sushi so much!!! We have a breastfeeding class tomorrow evening so I'm thinking of suggesting sushi to DH for dinner and I'll get the one cooked roll they have at one of the places a few blocks from us (whole thing is cooked).

Everyone should try: So many good ones have already been said. I'll combine two from PPs - traveling in a foreign country by yourself. I'm not sure if it counts as horrible but I think many would be worried to do it. I've only had a few days here and there by myself while travelling but I love it and I think it really causes you to grow as a person, as a traveler and as a citizen of the world.

Wish I hadn't tried: Hmm DH and I had tripe in Madrid. I'm actually still glad we tried it but it was such a disgusting texture (to me at least). I liked haggis so I think it's important to try foods that sound like they'd probably be gross but I would never eat tripe again.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    "Horrible" is subjective since to me these are great but: endurance sports (running, swimming, biking, triathlons, etc). You're always amazed at how much your body can do that your mind thinks it can't.

And +1 for always trying new food even if you think you'll hate it. Worst case you do, best case it's delicious!

Facebook/social media  :# I know I'm addicted and I wish I wasn't! 
  • Options
    What’s something horrible that everyone should try at least once? A unique but gross food delicacy from a different country. 

What is something you wish you never tried?  Balut egg from our family trip to the Philippines. It still makes me want to vomit. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    It's a horrible idea to go into a French (any cultural food really) restaurant and tell the waiter to surprise you  :s BUT everyone should try it because it's a super fun experience.

I wish I had never tried calamari. These two things absolutely go together  :D
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @dma0389 My parents lived in Japan for 3 years, while my dad was in the USAF, and visited the Philippines. My dad is a super adventurous eater, but the Balut egg was his limit.  He still talks about them to this day, and always says it was the most disgusting thing he has ever eaten. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    @Nxy calamari is basically the only food I've tried and hated. So disgusting. 
  • Options
    Going off somewhere on your own. I've done a couple things - going away to sleepaway camp, going out of town for college, going to a foreign country with mostly strangers and all experiences were worthwhile.
    Getting a smartphone. I'm addicted to my phone and miss the days of having a flip phone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    +1 traveling abroad alone 
    +1 working on customer service 

+1 cigarettes. Quit smoking was awful!

@dma0389 this is me in Vietnam trying to conjure  enough willpower to eat a balut egg - it didn't happen  :#

• Options
    @lewliv @dma0389 is a balut egg like a 100 year old egg? 
  • Options
    @bumpybump We rode the train from Bejing half way to Xian, about 12 hours.  It is a popular route and they over book it.  To give a good picture DH had one of a group of 4 seats, the other 3 seats were shared by a family of 6.  After the bathrooms on that train the ones in rural China looked like they could be in a 4 star resort.

@dma0389 I am pretty adventurous and there is no way I could even come close to eating one of those eggs, good for you for even trying.

I agree with everyone who said working retail.  I have also worked as a substitute teacher and that is a huge one as well.  Even if you can't do that at least volunteer in your child's class once a year to know what is going on.  You can have a great teacher at a great school and one or two problem kids can change the whole dynamic.

What is something you wish you never tried? I love @mrsmatt1212 suggestion of social media, it is such a time suck but I can't give it up.  I have also tried Duran Fruit and it is hands down the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted, and the texture is just as bad.  But I can't say I regret trying it because it is such a fun memory. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    @mrsmatt1212 it's a fertilized egg (duck or chicken) You can see the fetus inside very well formed! It's disgusting. 
  • Options
    @Nxy calamari is basically the only food I've tried and hated. So disgusting. 
    Nooo! I love calamari. Did you have it fried?

@Nxy I'm dying to know what you were served in the French restaurant. I remember being at DH's grandmother's house and being served actual frog's legs. I thought that just happened in the movies  :D (PS- they're not good).

Agree with anything getting out of your comfort zone. I've played the violin since I was in 2nd grade and used to be TERRIFIED of performing. But like @littlebug2010 said, the high after you're done is amazing. And I think it built my confidence in other areas like making big presentations at work. Also making the decision to study abroad for a year in France was incredible. We didn't have a semester option/half-year and I almost backed out at the last minute. Thank god I didn't because I wouldn't have met DH!

Chicken feet. DH had a colleague from China who invited us over for dinner and served boiled chicken feet. OMG I can still hear the nails crunching as I was trying to force it down (FYI - you're not supposed to eat the nails). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @shyviolet I can only imagine the train. Every mode of transportation we utilized in and around Beijing were overbooked and stunk! China as a whole kind of grossed me out. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @lewliv hahah your face says it all!!  :D 

@littlebug2010 @mrsmatt1212 @shyviolet Did you see @lewliv's photo? UGGGHHHH I can feel my upchuck reflexes back in action again. I ate 1/4 of it and yelled bloody murder from being grossed out from it, then vomited. My Dad said I was a little overacting while my cousins laughed for eternity. NEVER AGAIN!!! My brother asked a while back if I wanted it for my upcoming baby shower this weekend....I asked him if he wanted to die a million deaths. Apparently its the ongoing family joke, 4 years later!  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ewwww I just Googled balut egg. No way, no how. Logically speaking, we eat unfertilized eggs. We eat poultry. Combining the two shouldn't be a problem, right? But my personal line is eating anything that looks like it did when it was still alive. My food can't look me in the eye. << shudder >>

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lewliv said:
    @mrsmatt1212 it's a fertilized egg (duck or chicken) You can see the fetus inside very well formed! It's disgusting. 
    Omg I just died a little bit 

• Options
    @bumpybump  As gross as the bathrooms were I still loved it.  I would love to go back.  We were there for over a month so we got to some of the more off the beaten path areas and it was amazing.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @shyviolet I was there visiting my brother who lived there for three years. I was there a much shorter duration than you, 10 days. He took me to "non-touristy" and real life in China experiences too. But, it's just not the country for me. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    OTmom3OTmom3 member
    I don't know if it's horrible per say (just not something I want to do again), but working in food service, especially as a waitress. People can be SO rude and demanding when it comes to their food, and I really feel like having worked in that field gives a person a different perspective. Plus I think people tip better if they've worked in food service. I've been a waitress, hostess, and fast food worker and man can some people be assholes. 

I have no clue what I wish I never tried except maybe to echo all you can drink NYE packages that @DeansGirl14 said because I too end up drinking way too much to get my money's worth. Never a good day after. One time I even puked in a cab on the way home. Most expensive cab ride ever. 

BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Options

@shyviolet  I think everyone should try durian! It's absolutely the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted but it's fun saying I tried it. I even tried durian ice cream after the fruit - not better. At all. Smells like rotting garbage, tastes like rotting garbage...I can't understand the people that LIKE it.
    Also, +1 for retail - quite the humbling experience.

Viniq - it's purple sparkly vodka stuff. So many regrets. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Deactivating social media for at least a month or two.  I get so caught up in it, and since everyone only posts their glorified life,  it makes me feel inadequate or something.  I once deleted social media for 3 months and it was so freeing.  I use it now mostly for sharing pictures with my family who is far away. 
    We did a boxed wine race in college.  Not a pretty hangover.  Probably one of the worst moments in life so far haha.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @kristenk727 that sounds like the *one* time I did penny wine night in college and played quarters with said wine. It was (obviously) the cheapest wine ever made, and for some reason I thought red would be a good choice. I think I have a hangover now just remembering that.