January 2018 Moms

UO - 6/22

What's your Unpopular Opinion this week? Let's hear it! 

Re: UO - 6/22

• I hate Guns n Roses
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @CANTW82BMOM @schaze This!! I hate most baby clothes with words on them, but especially the ones you guys mentioned! I'm actually offended by the "princess" thing. The employees at Disneyland call girls/young women "princess" when addressing them and I've been thinking about making a formal complaint about it
  • @libbberty What if the post is addressed to someone who has passed away?

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Ok the UO I didn't post last week 

I think it's ridiculous when people say they are afraid/worried to bring a child into the type of world we are in with everything going on.....

This is the BEST the world has been.
    No major plagues.
    No World Wars.
    In the parts most of us are in women's right are way better than they have ever been.
    No riding on a wagon 8 months pregnant.
    So many opportunities that even 50 years ago never existed.
    Racism is slowly getting better 
    Many countries are becoming more environmentally aware

I feel grateful and lucky to have a child during the time I am. 

• @madcouplewithabox I agree with you. Plus if you are any kind of good parent your children should be growing up as good human beings to help make this world a better place.

My UO: I think it is crazy to give kids alcohol when teething. I don't care if it numbs thier gums, so does oragel (spelling?). My SIL will not give my nephew (11 months) ibuprofen but gives him whiskey. Like ummmm?!?!
  • Oh I have another one, sorry guess I'm full of opinions today. I think ranch on Pizza is way gross.
  • edited June 2017
    Mine for this week: I think "happy wife, happy life" is an ugly phrase. If a marriage doesn't value the input and happiness of both parties, it is a shitty marriage. 

@schaze Same. So much the same. 

@CANTW82BMOM Agreed. We tried to get my son using the proper names, but he somehow picked up "weiner," which I hate. Eventually we compromisd at "private parts."

@madcouplewithabox I agree for the most part. My husband and I did have the talk about man, we live in a time with a lot of turmoil; our lives and the lives of people we know could become much more unstable. But on the whole, we concluded that it's vital to raise good humans, when so many other things are generally okay.

While I think the whole "bringing up children at a time like this" is a lot.of handwringing nonsense, the relative statistical safety of our era ought not be used to downplay the very real social problems we face. 
  • UO: I do not think the huge bows on little baby girls are cute; rather, I think they look ridiculous. Let me see that cute baby! 

@madcouplewithabox  ME TOO! ME TOO! My friend says this all of the time because she is suspect to the fear mongering… I always remind her how awful other times were historically and she says, “We’ve never had this type of terrorism before, so this is the scariest.” Lol. Honey… you are so privileged it HURTS. (I still love her though).

@burnsmommy27 WHAT THE HECK? That would really bother me.

@scatteringashes ME TOO! Totally agree! 

*TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @missblaze good question. Although I don't entirely "get it", I wouldn't judge. Grief is different for everyone, right?

@burnsmommy27 I had no idea people ACTUALLY still do that (whiskey)! Kids' brains develop so much from 0-5...mind blown.
  • @EmilyLove25 and @libbberty I try really hard not to compared our kids (7 weeks apart) or judge any of thier parenting moves but I just can't get on board with giving a baby alcohol. I said as much to SIL once and her response "what he likes it". Even DH was like yeah but you won't give him ibuprofen. 

@EmilyLove25 I am super guilty of putting huge bows on DD. I also have spent a ridiculous amount of money on hair bows. 
  • @burnsmommy27 yuck! My dad does this with his pizza and it grosses me out!

@scatteringashes I agree. I've never liked that phrase. 

My MIL used to do that with DH with the bourbon teething. Seems so unsafe!
  • @libbberty I wish I was good at gifs bc I would post the one from the movie Stepbrothers "did we just become best friends??"  Those kinds of posts are not my thing. I think it's great people want to celebrate your babys bday on Facebook but if you are addressing the baby directly.... maybe write a little card or letter for their baby book. And also not thrilled about sick kids on FB. I have seen a lot of unfortunate oversharing on FB in general. Full disclosure, I don't share my kids pics on FB at all. I feel like it is their image and I'd like to respect their privacy. I guess that's my UO bc I know I'm the odd man out on that one. Don't get me wrong, my kids are cute and I'd like to shout if from a mountain top but I'll err to the side of caution. I don't even like to share my own pics on FB really but I do on occasion since I sell LLR. 
  • This most made me have to have pizza for dinner. That I dipped in blue cheese. But I'll use ranch in a stitch. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think black jelly beans taste good. I know most people aren't fond of them but I really like them 
  • cyanopecyanope member
    edited June 2017
    @burnsmommy27, I think I'm more horrified by the fact that you don't like ranch on your pizza than that your SIL puts whiskey on your nephew's gums. Does that make me a monster?
    ETA: but of course I'm horrified by both...
  • @sbishop426 team black jellybean!
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • @trudytudy it must be fate, because I suck at gifs, too. Lol. I don't judge when people post their kids' photos, but I do hope they have security/privacy on them for safety sake. 

@BelhurstBride Pizza and blue cheese - nice upgrade!
  • @burnsmommy27 I only eat pizza with ranch dressing haha. Almost everyone I know eats it that way too (I'm from southern California), but when I met DH who is from Minnesota he thought it was the weirdest thing and had never heard of it before. Now he eats it that way too  sometimes because it's really common here haha, it's probably a regional thing
  • We're SUPER weird. We eat pizza and applesauce together. Every.single.time (at least when we're at home). We even sometimes put the apple sauce ON the pizza. Haha, told you, weird!! 
  • Oh I have another one, sorry guess I'm full of opinions today. I think ranch on Pizza is way gross.
    We can't be friends anymore. Just kidding, it's totally a regional prefenrece and I love it. I didn't like it until I was in my 20s though.

As for me: I hated the movie Napolean Dynamite. I'm from Idaho and just couldn't stand it, though others from my state seemed to love it. I think it actually knocked my IQ down a few points when I watched it. 
  • UO: I do not think the huge bows on little baby girls are cute; rather, I think they look ridiculous. Let me see the cute baby! 

@EmilyLove25 I so agree with this but I feel like it's definitely a UO! My girls have never, ever had huge hair bows on their head, I agree it looks ridiculous but everyone I know wth girls really does up the bows!
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• @burnsmommy27 I am on the fence.  Ibuprofen did nothing for DD2 and our ped suggested rubbing small amounts on her gums.  Worked like a charm.  But this was in desperation after she screamed constantly for three weeks. I do judge my coworker who gives her 4 yo a whiskey honey "cough syrup" so he stops coughing at night.
  • I'm going off of the UO on oversharing on Facebook... why do people feel the need to share photos of their kids potty training?!?! i mean actual photos of them naked on the toilet. I've even got snapchats from friends who shared a PHOTO OF THE PEE IN THE TOILET after the first time her daughter went. Like WTF?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @madcouplewithabox I totally get what you are saying but I have to respectfully disagree in some regards. While we aren't facing down the plight that our 1800s ancestors may have, there are still plenty of problems that I feel justifies concern for our future generations. 

These conversations are difficult because I don't know many people that are fully able to put aside their privilege or are even aware of all of their privilege be it race, gender, religion, nationality or anything else. I include myself in that statement. While I can't get on board with full on apocalyptic hysteria, I do think there are many reasons to take pause and reflect on the world our children are inheriting. And then do our best to make the changes we feel we'd like to see. I can also appreciate that even that statement is still dripping with privilege, too. 

I do enjoy having dissenting opinions and being able to share them respectfully, too. So I'm glad you posted your UO this week. :) 
  • @Cricket99 ME TOO. That movie made me feel like this:

• Going on about Facebook and oversharing, for my family, we have a secret group where I post updates about our happenings. That's the only place I share photos of my daughter and I don't ever mention her name on my personal page either. It's worked really well for us and maintained a little more privacy for our family. 
  • @Ready4theParty I feel the same way. Alcohol has been used medicinally since it came to be and if rubbing it on your baby's gums is the ONLY WAY to bring them comfort, then I'm not going to judge. I WOULD, however, judge the cough syrup thing. Just no. Way too easy to cause a bad situation there. 

@karacc18 Um, ew. That is WAY too much information. Is she gonna post the first poo too? Geez. 

@EmilyLove25 Yes! If the bow is drawing more attention than your baby's face, the bow is too big. 

@trudytudy I've considered getting rid of FB altogether because of that but I have so many distant family members (including my parents and grandma) that it is hard to justify. I am just really strict about what I post and who sees it, and I will probably do a massive friends list and privacy overhaul again soon. 

My UO...I guess I can't think of one this week. 
  • @burnsmommy27 I am on the fence.  Ibuprofen did nothing for DD2 and our ped suggested rubbing small amounts on her gums.  Worked like a charm.  But this was in desperation after she screamed constantly for three weeks. I do judge my coworker who gives her 4 yo a whiskey honey "cough syrup" so he stops coughing at night.
    We used it with DD2, as well. Dipped our finger in the whisky and rubbed it on her gums. It's not like we were having her actually drink it. 

At the time most teething remedies were removed from the market for a variety of reasons and since then any useful ingredients have been removed because parents are too stupid to follow the directions. 

An amber necklace and the occasional dose of Advil was plenty for DD1. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • gulimzgulimz member
    I don't like Beyonce.  She is one of the most overrated singers of our time . 

Chipotle does nothing for me. I find it bland AF 
  • @gulimz how dare you say that about Queen Bey?! Just kidding of course. I'm a Destinys child and Beyoncé fan but I've had a hard time with her new stuff. It went in a really different direction. But Halo is one of my favs. I almost chose it as my fort dance song with the Hubs for our wedding but instead went with Miranda Lambert, Love Song. 
  • We're SUPER weird. We eat pizza and applesauce together. Every.single.time (at least when we're at home). We even sometimes put the apple sauce ON the pizza. Haha, told you, weird!! 
    I do this!!!! My family has always made homemade applesauce and freeze a bunch of it every fall therefore we eat it with everything. And on pizza. I mean I don't *have* to have applesauce on my pizza but it's one of those things I never outgrew from my childhood. 

Gotta say I'm coming up empty on UO's...
    January 2018 Board September Siggy Challenge: Fall

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @beans17 ha, that's awesome! Yes, to our defense, we live in WA state surrounded by apple orchards and make gallons of fresh homemade applesauce every year. It doesn't even compare to stuff from the store. 
  • @GraceUponGrace09 Amen about the store bought stuff!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @GraceUponGrace09 I like applesauce and Mac n cheese. Strange I know 
  • @burnsmommy27Yes to Mac n cheese with applesauce too! 

BabyFruit Ticker