Trying to Get Pregnant

TTCAL Check-In Week of 6/19

2»

Re: TTCAL Check-In Week of 6/19

• @mdfarmchick So sorry you're here. I had my MC at the end of May and I am just starting to feel post-hormonal but they really messed with me for a few weeks. Do you have any plans to meet with an RE? 
  • @mdfarmchick I'm glad you decided to come over here! I'm glad you are getting some help with your anxiety. 

@rachelg777 I know it's strange to be hoping for your numbers to go down but I'm glad you were able to get information and feel encouraged that things are progressing. I know for myself I have been eager to put the physical part of all of this behind me. I would think at your follow-up they would test again. When I went into my second appt and confirmed mmc the dr didn't mention a follow-up, but then when it turned out my hCG had gone up and not down (was already bleeding and there was measuring almost three weeks behind at that point with no growth) the nurse mentioned a follow-up which I have scheduled. I don't know whether it was because of the hCG or if the dr just forgot to mention it. I have POAS a couple times and the line is getting very very light, but then again my highest documented hCG was only 3800. 

Like @mdfarmchick I don't want to alarm anyone, but I think sometimes with healthcare providers you have to lobby for yourself a bit.
  • Loading the player...
  • @rachelg777 - It's good that your numbers are going down. I think it depends on the doctor and how the miscarriage happened. After I had an US to confirm it was complete, my doctor said I didn't need any follow-up unless I wanted one. But it's so hard for me to see my GP (she's booking 1.5 months in advance), that I just asked her nurse if I could get bloodwork done instead. I POAS every couple of days and the line is getting fainter. 
  • @zamora_spin I completely agree with the whole advocate for yourself thing... you know yourself and your health best. 
  • hedgepighedgepig member
    edited June 2017
    @mdfarmchick @looeeze I have the same feelings as you ladies about TTC post-MC. I had an early MC, then got KU the next month with no period in between, and MC'd again. I wanted to go for it again right away, but I did wait a month because if I had 3 back to back that way I would just feel too bad. So, again, validating your feelings and not trying to scare you, because from what I've read, you've actually got a better chance of carrying to term when conceiving right after a MC.
    Edit: Words.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @hedgepig Thank you for sharing that, it does help. I've read the same thing, which is partly why I wanted to try again right away. Though what I've read is largely anecdotal so who knows. Back to back MCs must've been really hard, I'm so sorry. I totally get waiting a month after that. Do you have an RE, or know any reasons they might've happened? 
  • @hedgepig I'm totally feeling for you. I'm with you. My 2 were back to back also. I did have 1 quick period between them though. After the 2nd my doctor told me to wait 6 months (might have been cause my thyroid also). We did decide ourselves to shave a couple months off that... or else I'd still be on the bench till August. But the thought of 3 back to back killed me. Even now, I am absolutely terrified of it happening again. I'll be an effin mess.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @catlady1215 and @hedgepig I'm so sorry you have been through two mc's. 

I'm glad we are talking about the TTC timing thing - I have read the same thing as most of you that seems to indicate possible post-mc increased fertility and lowered chance of mc. My dr said we could try again as soon as we are ready. Our initial decision is to let this first cycle go by without trying. But, I also feel like I could be tempted to just try anyway depending on how long it takes to O and how I'm feeling when it happens - I think in part I worry about being 35 more than I should. Idk, it feels like a hard decision somehow and at the same time I don't think there is a wrong one. 

This is the study I've seen: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/trying-conceive-soon-after-pregnancy-loss-may-increase-chances-live-birth
  • @looeeze before my loss, we had done all the preliminary hormone testing on me, and my numbers came back normal. With the way our insurance coverage works, I'm not sure how to qualify for an RE referral at this point. It's something we will discuss at my next follow up if I am not KU I guess. 

@hedgepig that's so hard and my fear exactly. ❤

@catlady1215 :cry: Hopefully everything works out soon. They weren't able to give you a reason at all?
  • @zamora_spin - I'm feeling the same way as you right now. We were going to wait one cycle, but now I think we are going to start trying right now. I thought DH would want to wait to make sure everything was good, but he is ready to start trying again.
  • I just wanted to say I am so sorry so many of you are dealing with multiple losses and the confusion about when to TTC again. It sucks! It is nice to see other peoples thoughts as well though since we are in the same boat. 
    @zamora_spin, thank you for that article! Very interesting. We waited 3 cycles after out last MC but I was further along that time and it was what our Dr. recommended. 
    MC just is an awful mindf*ck. 
    BFP #1 1/4/14  |  Diagnosed with Trisomy 13 at 12 weeks 3/6/14  |  MMC 3/21/14  |   D&C 3/24/14
    BFP #2 7/1/14  |  DS born March 2015
    BFP#3 5/22/17 | MC 6/17/17 at 7w3d
  • @labgrand2012 To you also, so sorry you have been through this twice. For sure there are times when a dr wants you to wait - I think you are right it depends on how far along you were and other specific circumstances. Agree totally, mc is a mind*ck. 

@ChloandCoco Are you tracking/do you think your cycle is coming back? Our initial decision was based on the idea that I might somehow O within two weeks of the mc, but now that I'm tracking my temp again I see that it has only today gone back down to what my old pre-O coverline was in past cycles, so I think it's more realistic that if I O this cycle it will be several weeks from now, in which case I may feel more ready to try. I also have a follow-up next week and if the dr reiterates it's fine to try right away if we want to, idk, we might do it. 
  • @looeeze before my loss, we had done all the preliminary hormone testing on me, and my numbers came back normal. With the way our insurance coverage works, I'm not sure how to qualify for an RE referral at this point. It's something we will discuss at my next follow up if I am not KU I guess. 
    Ah, I see. I asked because most OBs give RE referrals after TTC for a year, and you had mentioned before that it took you over a year both times you were KU. I'm not an expert in that by any means but that could give you just a diagnosis of unexplained fertility, which a lot of women in the IF threads are dealing with. I hope you don't end up needing an RE, though. 
  • @zamora_spin - What day is your follow up? I decided to make an appointment with my OB for next Thursday, since my GP isn't an expert and I have a few questions.
    I'm not temping, but I'm using HPTs until there's no doubt it's negative and then I will switch to OPKs. I know that the OPKs will give me a false positive until all the HCG is out of my system. My cycles have always been 28-29 days and I used OPKs to track ovulation before. 
    My doctor's RN said that with an early loss and if my cycles were regular, there's a very good chance that my body will return to normal this cycle. But everyone is different, so it still might take me a couple of months to get back to normal.
  • @ChloandCoco Jinx, I have the same follow-up appt date, 6/29. I think the dr will do a quick u/s to check my ute and also do bw. I took an HPT the other day and it was very light positive. You are totally right, OPKs are useless until negative HPT. That is good that you were regular before, and I have seen a lot of stories of people who had regular cycles after early mc's so hopefully you will too. 
  • @looeeze for our insurance we have to try for 12 months in a row without missing; I couldn't do anything with our first because while we tried for 17 months, due to DH's travel for his job none of it was 12 months consecutively. I have a different primary doctor now and she was able to put in for some testing but in less than six weeks of doing that I got a BFP with my loss. So I'm not sure if that resets my qualifications for a referral. DH hadn't had an opportunity to do testing yet either so I'm not sure if those tests are still in for him or if they cancelled them. My pcm is leaning towards my undiagnosed anxiety being the culprit because despite my short cycles, she said the only thing they found I was low on was vitamin C, which I'm now taking. Basically our insurance is kind of a lot of hoops to jump through. :neutral:
  • @mdfarmchick Insurance is the WORST. I'm sorry you're having to jump through all those hoops on top of TTCAL. 
  • rachelg777rachelg777 member
    edited June 2017
    @hedgepick my heart goes out to you for experiencing two back to back, you are a strong lady. 

I'm with all of you, scared to try again so soon but the desire to try outweighs it. I'm not sure I will O soon after this but if so we will be trying. I have my follow-up the next day -6/30, @zamora_spin and @chloandCoco. I'll be interested to hear how yours go! @ChloandCoco I'm glad to hear your cycles should go back to normal, that should bring some peace of mind. @zamora_spin thank you for sharing that article!

eta: words are hard
  • @rachelg777 and @zamora_spin - It will be interesting to hear what all our OBs say.
  • @Rachelg777 @mdfarmchick @zamora_spin @catlady1215 @looeeze Thanks for the kind thoughts ladies. It's crazy to see how many of you have been through the same thing, or similar. I'm glad we're all able to talk about it here together...
    @catlady1215 Ooof, benched for 6 months sounds awful! Glad you decided to go for it...
    @looeeze I haven't seen an RE or anything, as I don't seem to have any problems getting KU, but rather staying KU. Sigh. My OB did talk with me a little about getting some tests run to rule out clotting disorders or lupus, but they're wicked expensive, so I guess I'm just hoping for 3rd time's the charm.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @mdfarmchick my first happened naturally at home over Labor Day wkend. So by the time I could be seen on Tuesday, there wasn't much to see. I decided to let it finish naturally so no testing was done. I think they assume and empty sac. The second I had to have a d&c so we did testing. Came back as Trisomy 21. I'm assuming if we have another, she might set up more testing to find out why. But I haven't decided if we'd continue or not yet.

@hedgepig I'm 35. Every cycle that ticks away is me getting older. That bothers me. She at first thought it was a molar. Which would have had me benched a year! Thank god it wasn't.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @mdfarmchick that stinks about your insurance! There is always something with them. 
    @catlady1215 sorry for all you have been through. 6 months is a very long time to wait, I would have tried again earlier as well.
    @hedgepig I am sorry for the back to back losses.

@zamora_spin, @ChloandCoco, @rachelg777 I have my follow up on Monday 6/26. It will be interesting to see what all our OBs say. 

I did get my results back for my HCG, it was 2900 on Monday and down to 990 on Wednesday. So while it is still sad to think about, I am just happy it is going down quickly. I will probably have another draw next week, but we will see what my OB says on Monday. 
    BFP #1 1/4/14  |  Diagnosed with Trisomy 13 at 12 weeks 3/6/14  |  MMC 3/21/14  |   D&C 3/24/14
  • @labgrand2012 - It's definitely bittersweet that your HCG is dropping so quickly. Let us know how your OB appointment goes on Monday.
  • looeezelooeeze member
    edited June 2017
    Glad to see you posting on the dailies, @ChloandCoco! I was lurking in WTO and thought I'd tell you: For charting purposes, I started CD1 on the first day of red bleeding with my mc, which was advice I got from others.
  • @looeeze - Thanks! That's what I thought, but then another lady IRL told me CD1 was the first day of no bleeding. I'll change it to CD20 tomorrow.
  • Temping question - did you start temping right away or did you wait a bit after? Not sure if we will be trying this cycle until after talking to my OB, but would like to temp again either way. 
  • I did start temping right away @labgrand2012. It's important even if you aren't trying to give FF some data to work with so it's better able to predict patterns down the road. 
  • @looeeze thank you!! and also, I have been lurking the TWW boards and FX for your temp spike!! Also, I still want to be a pony. 
  • @labgrand2012 I am a data junky so I started temping again. It took me a couple days to get back into temping at a consistent time but it's been interesting to watch my temp drop as my hormone levels drop - took until CD 11 (using the method @looeeze recommended as to CD1) to see a drop below what normally would be coverline. 
  • @labgrand2012 LOL, that makes me feel a little less silly. 

• Yuck. **TW mc and pregnancy mentioned** Earlier this week I wished a friend of mine happy bday via text and asked how she is. She told me she was ku with twins. I was so happy for her and also it made me cry and I was glad it was all via text so that she didn't see my tears and just saw all my well wishes. Found out today that just the day after our convo she had a follow-up appt and learned that one of the twin's hb stopped. So sad for her today and it brings up so many feelings.  It's hard for me to imagine what that would be like - to have a loss and still be pregnant. ** end TW**
  • @zamora_spin I am so sorry! That is really hard to have all that brought back. And I am so sorry to your friend for her loss. I cannot imagine what it would be like to still be pg. the good thing is she does have you to talk to about this, if you have told her about your loss. 
  • @labgrand2012 I did tell her - but only today after finding out about the loss she had. I told her I am here for her if she needs me, and that it has really helped for me to talk about it and know other people have gone through something similar. Her H and mine have the same issue - it is clearly bothering them but they  don't want to tell anyone about it and are trying to be "strong" in a typical masculine way. She kind of gave her H no choice as she announced both the pg and loss on fb. She's braver than me, but I think that's amazing. 
  • @zamora_spin that is a tough spot to be in, I'm sorry. Sounds like a roller coaster of emotions for you. I can't imagine what that would feel like either but it sounds like she has a really good friend in you.
  • @zamora_spin - I'm so sorry for your friend, but luckily she has you for support.
  • @zamora_spin **TW** I found out our really good friends just had a stillborn son yesterday. She was 38 weeks when they found no hb. It hit me so hard after our miscarriage earlier this month. **End TW**

Confession I have also been lurking the TWW board but still haven't posted. I haven't temped or charted anything because I'm trying to not ramp up any anxiety.