October 2017 Moms
Options

Congestion That Won't Go Away

I have had nasal congestion and headaches for about a week. Any recommendations? 

Re: Congestion That Won't Go Away

• Options
    I have no recommendations, but I feel your pain. I've basically been miserable for two months now. I took some mucinex and still taking some nose spray they prescribed me earlier in the pregnancy. Oh, and robitussin at night to stop from coughing my brains out. 

Weirdly enough, if I blast the heat in my car on the way to work, it seems to open up my sinuses. But I'm pretty sure I can't do that 24/7.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had that problem during first and second tri. I did sinus rinse (neil meds) for a month. Got rid of my issue. Give it a try, who knows... 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    I had this and it was allergies - Zyrtec helped. I never had allergies before, so I didn't recognize the symptoms. In fact, just two days before I started getting the headaches, I was bragging to DH about my allergy invincibility. Well, that showed me!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @tsa208 I'm allergic to Zyrtec. Lucky meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Try popping the pillows on your bed into the dryer for about 20 minutes.  My chiropractor (who also might be able to help with sinus pain and headaches...sometimes misalignment causes these problems), suggested this because it usually collects all kinds of dust, dander, and microscopic parasites.  The heat will help rid the dust/dander and kill the parasites.  

+1 on a neti pot or warm nasal rinse.  
    June 2017 Siggy Challenge:  "You had one job to do!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nasal rinse, saline drops, steamy bathroom, and chiropractor adjustments have always helped me. I also got a cooling humidifier to help and propped myself up while sleeping. 
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    We have awful allergies at our house and it's mainly from dust from construction or our pets, but we also have to wash our bed sheets on the allergen cycle with detergent and vinegar and that helps. I noticed a huge difference after we bought a portable air purifier as well. Also, try rubs Vicks vaporub on your feet before bed and then putting socks on top. Helps with congestion. So sorry you are feeling cruddy. Once I get to headache status I usually have to take Tylenol or I'm SOL.
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @griesemer what have you tried?
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Claritin seems to help a little.  It seems to be the worst right when I wake up and at night. Grrr
  • Options
    You probably need a decongestant  (pseudofed) vs. an antihistamine  (claritin) - I got clearance for pseudofed in the 2nd tri.  Also flonase nasal spray is was oked for me.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker