May 2017 Moms
Options

Stupid Things People Have Said Now That Baby Is Here

I remember somewhere in one of our Weekly Randoms someone suggested this thread to mirror our Stupid Pregnancy Advice thread and I think we should definitely keep it going.

So what stupid things and oh-so-helpful advice have people said to you now that your baby/babies has been born?

Re: Stupid Things People Have Said Now That Baby Is Here

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mcvgal said:
    After telling an older lady that my daughter's birth weight was 3lbs 5oz, she said "Well, lucky you she was so small. I bet delivery wasn't too painful."
    Oye
  • Options
    @kns1988 your comment made me laugh. I had one guy tell me I was keeping my daughter in the sun too much because she's so pink.... I'm sorry who puts their kid who's 3 weeks old out in direct sunlight 
  • Options
    SKZW said:
    "So is he sleeping through the night yet?"

Umm, he's a whopping 6 weeks old.
    I was just coming to post this exact thing. My friend was shocked I was getting up multiple times a night. smh

ETA: And mine isn't even 3 weeks yet!
    Is your friend a parent? If so, they probably have a unicorn baby/kid. :P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mdlorenz said:
    SKZW said:
    "So is he sleeping through the night yet?"

Umm, he's a whopping 6 weeks old.
    I was just coming to post this exact thing. My friend was shocked I was getting up multiple times a night. smh

ETA: And mine isn't even 3 weeks yet!
    Is your friend a parent? If so, they probably have a unicorn baby/kid. :P
    Nope! Not a parent, which explains it. I find that most of my friends have no clue about anything pregnancy or baby related. I'm paving the way.
  • Options
    I have a friend who had a unicorn baby that slept through the night right away...she has definitely said stupid stuff in regards to DS sleeping.
  • Options
    These are the following things my SIL has asked (multiple times) if it's "normal" that DS: has baby acne, why his soft spot hasn't gone away yet, why he hasn't lost all his baby hair yet, doesn't look at her when she says his name, and cries "all the time." DS only cries when he's hungry, needs a diaper change, or someone wakes him up and he's still tired. My SIL likes to play with DS's feet and toes, which DS doesn't like. And she wonders why DS cries when she holds him? I've told her not to play with his feet because he doesn't like it. She gives me this shocked look like "you mean I'm causing him to cry?!?"
  • Options
    I heard more eyebrow raising comments after I had my first:

BIL, who's a flipping moron, said he was surprised DD was so fair skin (like me) and didn't have a darker skin tone (DH is half Italian) since babies are born looking more like the father so the fathers don't up and leave their families. He was surprised when I explained that's not how any of this works.  :o

MIL, which must be where BIL gets his moron from, said BIL raised a good point and that it made sense.  :s

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    @kat81 well when you think about it most people don't really see newborns, most people won't meet babies until they're 2-3 months old, I've had so many people comment on how tiny DS is, he's huge for a newborn he's over 12lb at nearly 5 weeks. He's above the 99th percentile, so he's not little, but people just don't remember or know how small they are. I know I am guilty of it too
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    My MIL said my baby already had a receding hairline.. That annoyed me
  • Options
    @lrwardrop Oh my god...I hope she was joking. That was stupid it made me squint a little bit.
  • Options
    You're holding him too often, you're spoiling him, let him cry (when he's sucking his hand and clearly hungry) 
  • Options
    I was changing DS in the bathroom at the store and was asked how old he was by one of the ladies that worked there. I said just over a month old and she went on to basically scold me about him not wearing a hat and that I really should have one on him and if he was my first baby. I bit my tongue and just said, "No, he's my second, but thank you." And left the bathroom. I was so irritated...we live in the desert. It was literally 117 that day, but yeah, apparently he needed to have a hat on and only a naive FTM would make that sort of horrible mistake...litreally rolling my eyes typing that.