TTC After a Loss
Options

mthfr gene mutation?

I have miscarried twice in the last 6 months & just to rule things out my Dr ran a series of labs. I tested posative for one of the A1 mthfr gene mutations, single gene affected. Has anyone else dealt with this? I could use whatever practical advice you may have.

Re: mthfr gene mutation?

• Options
    I have an mthfr mutation as well.  It's amazing how common it is. Your doctor should definitely give you concrete advice on how they'd like you to manage it, but some things you can expect to hear are to strictly avoid folic acid (the synthetic type of folate) and to supplement with methylfolate instead.  Again, they'll give you solid info on that, but if they don't mention it, make sure you bring it up because addressing it is really important.  For future pregnancies, you may also be directed to take baby aspirin, among other therapies.  I hope you get some good advice from your doc about treating this!
  • Options
    I also have a mthfr mutation and I've done some research on it BUT I'm trusting my OB and MFM who say that really its not a big deal. You can find an entire slew of people on the internet who swear it is a big deal - but as a scientist, I trust science. I did have my homocysteine levels checked and they were fine. I've still decided to take methalyated form of vitamins and will likely be on baby asprin next time i get pregnant. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I was switched to methelated folate as soon as my doc started to suspect mthfr might be an issue. I'm doing a lot of reading on diet changes & foods that should be avoided. It's Amazing to me that the medical status quoe is to push folic acid when this mutation is so common. A universal switch to methelated folate would be harmless to people without the mutation & save a lot of heartache for those of us with it! 
  • Options
    ....especially considering that there are no adverse side effects even if you don't have the mutation!
  • Options
    **lurking/siggy warning**

Agree with @justsuzie. This was the only change I made between my 2nd loss and successful pregnancy...methyl folate via Smarty Pants gummy prenatals. I was never tested for MTHFR (was negative for all other thrombophilias) but I figured it was a harmless thing to try. Did it make a difference? Maybe? It at least made me feel like I was doing something. 

I didnt do aspirin because I'm allergic and probably wouldn't have without asking the OB first, though. 

Still lurking (obviously) and rooting for all you ladies!
  • Options
    I'll add that I also try to avoid 'enriched' flour products because it has added folic acid... 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~