August 2017 Moms

Weekly Random 6/19

Re: Weekly Random 6/19

• How was everyone's Father's Day weekend, if you celebrate?

Mine was... exhausting, but good. We attended birth class (very well done, quiet group and we let out early), and then drove an hour away for a friend's kid's birthday, then drove another hour to my parents' where we spent the night; had lunch with my parents and sister and BIL; drove another hour to the in-law's town and spent the afternoon at the race track with a two sets of DH's aunts and uncles along with parents, and then went to dinner. Dinner was a disaster; the restaurant was understaffed leading to delayed drinks and a lost food order.  With 3 ornery senior citizens leading the way we ended up walking out before the food we'd ordered came- without paying for the four drinks our group had received. I was shocked. DH was like, "This is why I hate going out to dinner with that group, they're so embarrassing." He said they've never walked out like that before but they will bitch. Heck, if we'd waited it out we'd probably gotten dinner for free. As it was, DH and I ended up eating pizza at 8:45 at night. 
    So... I need a nap already. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 yikes! How long did you wait for your food? The longest I've waited is 3 hours and we ended up with a comped meal. It was at a swanky micro brew and the bill would have been over $125 for 3 people. The food wasn't even worth it and we won't be going back. 

My my entire office is flooded from heavy rains over the weekend. The office next door to us cancelled for the day. I want to have the day off too! boo Monday!! 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Loading the player...
  • @DeansGirl14 yikes! How long did you wait for your food? The longest I've waited is 3 hours and we ended up with a comped meal. It was at a swanky micro brew and the bill would have been over $125 for 3 people. The food wasn't even worth it and we won't be going back. 

We waited an hour after order (and it took probably a half hour to even place the food order) watching other tables that were seated after us get their food. 

The longest DH and I waited was probably 1.5 hours and we got our meal fully comped. He and I would have definitely waited... the senior citizens were done though. 

Three hours though? Damn! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I *have* to get better at taking these iron supplements. I'm stinkin' EXHAUSTED all the time and I know it is due to the low iron. So, I've made a check-off on my calendar and set an alarm to remind myself. Im
    not looking forward to the constipation that is surely to accompany it. As if I needed more help in that department. :expressionless: Also, I would eat my weight in ice if I could.

The further along I get with my current OB, the more I'm realizing my last one sucked. My OB now is so thorough and involved and explains things and takes my concerns seriously and acts on them. He's fantastic and the level of care I've received is top notch!

I didn't dislike my last OB by any means, but I think it is because I hadn't experienced a great one. He was just so blasé about everything, which is cool because I'm laid back, but it sure is nice to receive truly excellent care. 
  • Like @DeansGirl14 we did a baby class at the hospital, CPR and newborn essentials. So that was a busy day, then dinner with friends.
    Sunday we did brunch with my parents, and went to the beach/did dinner with DH's side of the family. I said next year we are doing it all together-esp since DH will be celebrating as well. Our families like each other and live 5 mins away, I am not packing/unpacking everyone next year to do everything twice. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I have a random dilemma. I got summoned for the entire month of July for Jury duty. I'm not guaranteed  to have to go in, I just have to call in daily to check. I put on my original summons info card that I was pregnant and duevat the beginning of August but I was still summoned. I have never done jury duty. Has anyone experienced this?? Do you think they will excuse me?? 
  • @morgy_bee I've deferred jury duty a couple times (grad school, then moving) and didn't find out whether or not I was summoned until they made me call in. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AdvoCyndi30 all I want is ice!! 

I eat it all day....I even freeze juice boxes and that's my late night snack....SO GOOD! 
  • NxyNxy member
    @AdvoCyndi30 what mg are you taking?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 Wow that is so frustrating. The only reason we waited as long as we did is because we were drinking and the beer service was excellent. Our food actually went to a bachelorette party next to us and they started digging in...meanwhile we had no idea! 

@AdvoCyndi30 Have you been taking colace or anything else for constipation? I keep a small bottle of orange juice in the fridge and that is enough of a reminder to take an iron pill in the morning (I take them with a small swig of OJ). I am not anemic but I have been taking them periodically if I'm feeling especially tired. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @Nxy and @BlackNYellow My OB just said to grab the cheapest bottle from the store, and the one I found was 27mg. I'm taking a generic brand stool softener, and I think now that I see one pill isn't going to make me have diarrhea, I'll add in more. I've been taking 1 per day, but can take up to 3 per day. I'll try two and see how that does. 

• NxyNxy member
    edited June 2017
    @AdvoCyndi30 I take this and I haven't had any constipation issues 

They have vitamin C and B-12 to help absorption 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB suggested Slow FE for the iron supplement. I have no idea what dose it is, I havent picked it up yet. Last pregnancy I was on prescription iron & had to take stool softeners with it daily.  
  • So I surprised my hubby with a trip to Vegas for his 40th bday. We are having a wonderful time except it's supposed to be 117 degrees today. What the hell was I thinking?

Funny story though...at dinner we ordered some chicken wings and the waitress accidentally ordered us the hottest ones on the menu. So after one bite, I almost died. Looked like that scene off of dumb and dumber where he pours ketchup on his tongue...omg my face had to have been hysterical. And the whole time we thought "if these are the mild ones, what the crap do the hot ones taste like?" Finally I asked the waitress and she realized the mistake and we laughed but damn...I have NO idea how people can enjoy food that spicy! Took me 45 min to feel my lips again.
  • @AdvoCyndi30 I started iron supplements two weeks ago and the difference in how I feel is already astounding, like I no longer need to nap at 3pm every single day and can actually use my brain again, so I really hope you have the same results once getting on the right supplement. I take a liquid one I bought off of Amazon and have been quite happy with it. I take it every morning on an empty stomach and make sure that I don't have any dairy or caffeine for about an hour or two afterwards since they both can inhibit iron absorption.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited June 2017
    @belmont1785 I hope you are enjoying the hell out of the pools!  DH and I were just talking about vegas, and I told him that If we were there right now, thats where I would be living!  We were in Vegas 2 years ago, and I loved it! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • I had a mental breakdown the other day about DD being in daycare all day. I'm lucky to have been able to bring her to work since she was 6 weeks old. I enrolled her in daycare for more socialization when she was a year, and she went half-time (coming into work with me for the afternoons) until just about 2 months ago.

I enrolled her full-time because she would come to my office and insist on watching shows on a spare computer screen for the afternoon, and I didn't want that to be her afternoon. At daycare, she gets outside, she's learning, she's active, and she gets an afternoon snack. I just broke down about the fact that she spends about 9 hours a day at an institution at 2.5 years old, and I'm pretty sure she's the only one at her daycare that goes all 5 days a week.  :'(  
  • @tova24 Thats a big decision to make, but I think you are doing the right thing!  Its so hard when an office doesn't treat you right, and even worse when you are pregnant!  Make sure that when you do leave your job, you write a glassdoor review and also a fairygoodboss review.  Glassdoor, everyone will see, as they have the better repuation, but fairygoodboss is for women.  Its main goal is to tell women about the workplace and how women are generally treated.  They have questions about maternity leave, and HR that focus on women.  Hopefully you writing these reviews will keep other women out of this situation! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @tova24 wow. I'm glad that you're taking action. You have to do what's best for you and Landon and I think you're super brave.  Their reaction or non-reaction is not acceptable. When you resign I would make it clear why. 

@HappyToBeHere awww, that's tough. I imagine I'd feel guilty either way. Hugs
  • tova24tova24 member
    @littlebug2010 thanks for the tips. I will make sure to do that! I definitely agree that no woman should have to be treated this way and that a company should be held accountable. 
  • @tova24 I have done it for every job that I have held, and for many that I have interviewed with.  I try to be as honest as I can, and I just hope that the reviews do one of two things, they either, keep another woman (or anyone for that fact) from going through the same experience, or they make the company start to re-think some of their issues, and change.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @tova24 sounds like your HR manager needs to be the one looking for a new job, geez!  What a terrible response! Good luck on the job hunt!
  • @tova24 your office is not acting like adults! Glad you are getting out. Feel free to message me if you need any Chicago back-up/ job/ location insight or new mamma meet ups since I am here!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @tova24 if you want I can go beat them up. That is crazy but you making a good choice by doing what is best for you and your family. :) they have the issue not you so don't feel bad.
  • NxyNxy member
    @DeansGirl14 I hadn't really planned on making a L&D pinned thread but that's not to say that you (or anyone) can't. I figured it would just be a floating thread or people would just post their birth stories on their own. If you're going to AW anything at all why not have it be the reason we are all here!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH actually got off on time today, ran a couple errands and has been playing with DS the whole time except to shower. They've been in his room playing, reading, and singing. My heart might explode  <3<3<3
  • Ice is life right now. 
  • Finally cleaned the bathroom so I can take a non-gross bath tonight. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Alrighty folks, real question here. When was your first outing with your newborn and what do you think is a reasonable amount of time to make a first outing? Not counting the doctor's office, and also considering we're having summer babies. 

The reason I ask is that my husband really wants to take the baby to an outdoor sporting event on August 12 (a tradition with him and his friends). Our kid will only be a few weeks old at best, if she comes early. This isn't an event I'm interested in attending, nor have ever attended with him and his friends, so I'd probably be stuck going as well just for feeding her. But I'm like, what if it's really hot? I'd be miserable, lol, to say nothing of the baby being miserable. It's over an hour's drive. And is a few weeks old just really too young for an event like that?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 I wouldn't if it's outdoors. Babies can't regulate their body temp that young, so they can get overheated and dehydrated really easily (anything over 80° is advised against). Plus, since you shouldn't put sunscreen on babies under 6 months, you'd have to make sure she was covered up. Unless you sat in the car the whole time I just can't see it working :(
  • NxyNxy member
    @DeansGirl14 aren't you due the 3rd? So if you deliver the day you're due baby wouldn't even be two weeks old yet..if you go a week late baby might not even be out of the hospital yet. So that's a no from me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl some things to consider 1) An hours drive at a couple weeks old, at best, could mean stopping to nurse. I felt like that was my "only" job for quite a few weeks. So that alone would deter me. 2) We took DD to the state fair when she was 1.5 mos old and it was horrible! It was hot (in August) and she needed changed and nursed and she looked so hot. We made it a couple hours and left. So, my answer is no to an outdoor baseball game in the heat of the summer. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    If it were me, which is a first time mom who has no idea what to expect 2 weeks postpartum, I would say no. You might not feel ready to really go out and be away from the things you use to comfort you and baby. You might be really tired and just want to stay home. 
  • @DeansGirl14 I seriously can't imagine sitting in a huge ass pad and my own diaper in the 100+ degree heat. I wouldn't recommend you make any plans in August at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19