August 2017 Moms
Options

Thursday Ticker Change 6/15

How far along are you? 

How big is baby? 

Upcoming appointments this week?

Any new symptoms or changes?

Rants/Raves/Questions?

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Thursday Ticker Change 6/15

• Options

How far along are you? 33 wks

How big is baby? Celery

Upcoming appointments this week? Had one yesterday. Everything is looking good.

Any new symptoms or changes? We had DD's 3rd birthday party this weekend and after being on my feet for two days, I was sore. My hips and lower back hurt a lot and I had a shooting pain on the left side of my back. Thankfully both are gone now. My skin is back to being dry again too.

Rants/Raves/Questions? This past week brought lots of babies being born on my FB feed. One of them was due in September and was born under 2 lbs (he's doing well so far). The others all came "early" too (from 35-38 wks). Makes me really nervous about this one coming "early."

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? Beekeeping. I've been around it my whole life as it's our family business. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Hi ladies, I haven't been participating much here but I figured better late than never!

How far along are you? 29 weeks

How big is baby? Bump says acorn squash...gallon of milk according to babysizer:)

Upcoming appointments this week? 30 week appt next week

Any new symptoms or changes? Not really, other than aches and pains from being on crutches after I sprained my ankle this weekend :(  Has pregnancy made anyone else super klutzy?

Rants/Raves/Questions? Rant - our nursery has not even been started because our roommate of 2 years is....just not moving out.  He says he's looking but it's been weeks and I am so done.  The nesting instinct hit hard a few weeks ago and I just want to get started!  And move the mountain of baby stuff out of our dining room.  I know it will most likely work out fine, but I'm having nightmares I go into labor early and he's still here...

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? Eh, probably mostly anything I have a passing familiarity with.  I'm a teacher, bullshitting is part of my job ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DeansGirl14DeansGirl14 member
    edited June 2017

How far along are you? 33 weeks

How big is baby? celery bushel. Yawn. I don't even like veggies so I'm getting rather tired of the baby being compared to leafy greens. 

Upcoming appointments this week? Nah, had one Tuesday. Next is in two weeks. 

Any new symptoms or changes? I feel like most of my worst symptoms are subsiding. I'm feeling the best I've felt in awhile. 

Rants/Raves/Questions? When did you feel "normal" again after giving birth? Given I've been pregnant since November, I seriously don't remember what my normal body feels like. I yearn for the days where rolling over in bed didn't require grunting. My friend with the 2mo old was saying her stomach feels weird and her skin is crazy sensitive so drying after a shower is an adventure. I'm not referring to weight loss and would hazard a guess that the length of time one BFs would have something to do with it, but any thoughts on when "normal" returns?

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? I could talk at length about issues and potential solutions in higher education. Been working in higher ed (not as faculty) for a long time. 

Edit- typo

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

How far along are you? 32wks

How big is baby? Pomelo

Upcoming appointments this week? Tomorrow

Any new symptoms or changes? I feel like I'm kind of used to being pregnant now, haha.  That took over 7mths :)

Rants/Raves/Questions? I haven't dislocated my hips in almost 2 weeks!  Hooray!  I've had to cut back on a lot of activity, but life is a lot more manageable now!

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? The fundamental principles of drawing and color.  I taught private art classes for years and simply enjoy talking about the elements of design <3 Art nerd.

• Options
    @katieo812 Hop right in!  Sorry about the ankle.  I shattered my husband's iPhone screen this weekend, so I understand the klutz thing :(
  • Options
    Thanks @MrsPlatz!  It is much better today luckily.  I probably shouldn't complain, dislocating hips sounds like no fun at all!  Ouch:(

• Options

How far along are you? 30 weeks 1 day

How big is baby? the size of a zucchini apparently to bump

Upcoming appointments this week? i have physical therapy today due to my back and hips hurting to the point it hurts to get up

Any new symptoms or changes? just feeling heavier and when I walk a lot there is times i am out of breath

Rants/Raves/Questions? None but it seems each day goes faster and we have less weeks until baby is here.

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? I am actually not sure probably about the jobs we offer at work and how to be cautious from causing accidents lol you got me on this one. 

• Options

@katieo812 Welcome! Sorry to hear about the roommate thing. I can relate. Ours just moved out a month ago. It drove me crazy! I managed to find other things to clean and organize while I waited though. Do you have some kind of standing agreement about when he has to be out? Or is it just a "hey you should probably find a place soon"? For us, we had to be very firm and give her a specific date she had to be out, no exceptions.

How far along are you? 33 weeks

How big is baby? 17 inches

Upcoming appointments this week? Nope

Any new symptoms or changes? Starting to hurt a bit when LO kicks me really low in my abdomen. He is rolling a lot and waking me up too. The sleep deprivation is tough, but I just love feeling him move!

Rants/Raves/Questions? Ugh! I once again have a swollen lymph node in my left armpit from folliculitis (razor burn). I have been so, so careful since 2 months ago when I had it last time. It's in the same place too! I am so frustrated. I don't think they let me go into urgent care any more, being so far along. I REALLY don't want to have to go to labor and delivery just for them to say "oh, its just bad razor burn" and get prescribed antibiotics again. I think this pregnancy has made me more vulnerable to skin infections, because I have never had this much trouble with shaving in my life!

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? Great question! I think I could pull off a presentation on Office Organization and Operations, or something more specific like Audrey Hepburn (big fan).

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Feliciosity glad to hear someone else has been through a similar thing!  We probably weren't as specific as we needed to be at first.  He's known I'm pregnant since March, at which point we just said we'd love him to stay through early June.  It sounds dumb now but my biggest concern at the time was that he'd move out quickly once we told him and we'd miss out on the rent money!  Then when my husband broached the subject with him several weeks ago, it was clear he hadn't really started looking yet :-/  I think we've made it clear now that he needs to find a new place ASAP unless he wants to share with a newborn!

Sorry to hear about the folliculitis...seems like pregnancy makes us more prone to all kinds of crazy health-related shit, huh?

• Options
    @katieo812 Heh. Either share a room with the newborn or sleep on the couch! I hope for your sake he gets out soon! It's horrible to be wanting to nest and not being able to do anything. I had a huge pile of stuff in my dining room as well. Hang in there! It'll feel so good when you get your space back!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

How far along are you? 31 weeks! 

How big is baby? Romaine lettuce or asparagus

Upcoming appointments this week? Tuesday, regular 32 week check-up. 

Any new symptoms or changes? So I'm noticing my left ankle/foot looks normal, but my right ankle/foot looks like a sponge form of my left, it's all swollen. That's attractive...i'm getting a pedicure tomorrow, i'm sure they'll be laughing...

Rants/Raves/Questions? When can we expect the baby to drop? I noticed my bump looked lower than normal and my rib pain wasn't as bad, but part of me feels its in my head. 

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? How far along are you? It would have to be either about food, the "go-to" restaurants, travel or the Yankees. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 I'd say that it took me about 3 months to feel "normal" again. At least that's when my anxiety went away. But physically speaking, I remember feeling great at 6 months.

@jacksonbears this will be a vague answer on when the baby drops. It happens up to a few weeks before delivery for some to a few hours before delivery. With my first pregnancy, DD never really dropped (descended), even after induction, which is why I had a csection.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

How far along are you? 32 weeks

How big is baby? Squash

Upcoming appointments this week? Nope

Any new symptoms or changes? My back is finally starting to hurt. I feel lucky that I've gotten away with it not hurting this long, it's miserable! 

Rants/Raves/Questions? Any STM have a boy that was circumcised at the pediatrician days after leaving the hospital?  We learned at the hospital tour that since our ped doesn't have rights where I'm delivering it's astronomically more expensive. I was looking forward to getting it knocked out while we were still there with nurses everywhere. Is it a big ordeal?

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? Fun chemistry experiments. I've actually gotten to teach a few school groups, which was great. There's a really fun 'screaming gummy bear' experiment that is cool science and hilarious. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @caity024 my OBs do circumcisions in the hospital. I'm sure it varies by state and health system but have you asked them? They charge the insurance company $450. Im not sure if it's covered or not. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Options
    @caity024 it's not a big ordeal at all. It's over very quickly. I think I recall they gave my son Tylenol for pain and that was a one time dose. The nurse educated me on how to care for it, which is just Vaseline and gauze. 
  • Options

How far along are you? 

31 weeks

How big is baby? 

asparagus 

I had one Wednesday. I posted in the weekly appt thread (so this may be redundant.) The baby hasn't been moving much, never has. (Some of you may remember it took forever for me to feel her.) My doctor talked to me about kick counting after every meal and to go to the hospital if she won't respond. We also checked my placenta placement, and it's in the front. I was kind of bummed the US tech didn't mention that before because it would have eased my PGAL mind awhile ago!  The baby's heart rate is low (under 110) so they sent me for a NST test. I now have a weekly test to monitor her heart and movement.  

I still feel great. 

Rants/Raves/Questions?

Rave: my mom brought home and ice machine from work (they were getting rid of it) it's my new favorite thing! My fridge did not have one and this is the little kind you can chew! I love ice!

It's also garage sale season which is helping me with my shopping bug! 

Rant: My husband's job has switched from salary + commission to just commission. There is no way he can sell enough to get even close to what he was making. It's been stressful for us. He is now on the hunt for another job, which is hard to do when working 50 hours a week. 

GTKY: What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?

I am a teacher, so I think I have done this before. More specifically, I teach fifth grade Math, so dividing fractions! One of my favorite topics! 

@bumpybump That is super cool! Do they make honey? 

@katieo812 welcome! I have been a klutz too. I actually paid attention in the beginning because it's supposedly an old wives tale about gender (can't remember which one) And teaching does pretty much mean talking about any subject for 40 ministers! 

@deansgirl14 Breastfeeding does effect feeling normal again, but in a different way. My hair fell out after birth. Nursing made me sweat for awhile. My body looked normal by the time I went back to work at 12 weeks, but I don't think it was. My skin seemed to go back to normal fairly quickly after my first, but it could have been the change of weather. If you think about it, we have our babies in August, 12 weeks later is November. I don't know about where you live, but here in Ohio, August and November are different weather wise. My skin might be great in August and dry in November. 
  • Options
    @Kudlica27 the bees make the honey. We harvest it from their beehives and then extract and bottle it to sell. That's the short/easy version of it. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @Kudlica27 I think it's supposed to be you're klutzy if you're having a boy?  Proved true for me!  I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job, that's so stressful, especially at a time like this.

I hope all the extra monitoring for your baby girl eases your mind!  I hate when I can't feel my little guy for a while so I can imagine that's really nerve-wracking.

• Options
    caity024 From what I have learned, most insurance doesn't cover circumcision because it is considered cosmetic. Definitely a good thing to check.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

How far along are you? 

33w1d

How big is baby? 

Celery or a junior tennis racket :smiley:

Nope

Just back pain from all the changes. This baby has to be going through a growth spurt and I am ready for my body to catch up. 

Rants/Raves/Questions?

Bending over is a thing of the past. Baby gets really mad when I try to do this. 

Questions: Have any of you made out a maternity leave plan for transferring responsibilities and return transition? I am the Director of Operational Development and have a lot of responsibilities and I would love some input! 

1. Behavior Therapy. I have been in this field for a decade and could talk about it for awhile and have some pretty entertaining stories that could be included! 

• Options
    @caity024 My insurance covered DS's circumcision. DS had his circumcision done at the hospital. His first appointment with 2 days after we were released from the hospital. Is it possible to have the circumcision done at your first pedi appointment, it's usually a few days after you're home.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @caity024 our hospital has the ob do it and it was covered by insurance 
  • Options
    @morgy_bee
    You're a director? Is your role more managing people and processes? I'd start by analyzing if any of your high performers could manage any of your processes, and find out if a fellow director could help manage your people. Depending on the size of your company and team, listing all your responsibilities and thinking about who you could tap to help would be wise. I assume your own boss could help you? 

In my old job I had a ton of random responsibilities. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I made a spreadsheet of everything I do, every system I use, every go-to person in other departments I worked with. I made notes if some things could "sit" for three months while I was gone and if things had to be done daily- and who was a good person to do said daily task. 

As it turned out, I switched jobs completely a few months later, so that spreadsheet was not only used by my former team while they interviewed for my replacement, it was given to my replacement for training him. 

Depending on the length of your leave, people you manage should be able to chill for a few months without one-ones so long as they have someone to escalate issues to, right? That's normally what I observe when other management type folks go on a Leave here- their direct reports just temporarily report to someone else. That goes for any time a mid-level departs completely too until someone new is hired, so, shouldn't be an issue right? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 I have a good deal of my plan mapped out but I love your spreadsheet input! Thank you!!! 

I'm like director of operations, I make sure the business is running. 
  • Options
    @bumpybump That is super cool! My cousin has bees for honey, and I buy honey from her. Everyone always asks me if I can get them honey from her for free. Do you have that problem? I think just having a connection to fresh honey is awesome enough! 

@katieo812 I have been a klutz this time and it's a girl for me lol. Wives tales never seem true for me. And thanks. We live within our means so we will be fine until he gets a new job, but it means no summer vacation this year. And no big purchases for awhile. 

@caity024 our hospital has the doctor do it before we leave. Our insurance covers it, however, they sent us a bill first because it takes up to 30 days for a new child to be added. I think I had to call with the  insurance information after it came. 
  • Options
    @Kudlica27 nope, I don't have people ask if they can get honey for free. When my family visits or we go there, we send out an order form for those interested in purchasing. So they knownots not free. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker