C section mamas wanting a Vbac — The Bump
August 2017 Moms

C section mamas wanting a Vbac

hi everyone! My first pregnancy ended up being a csection. My water broke naturally, labor 18 hours 2 hours of pushing. I had a large baby 8 lbs 10 oz for a petite woman. My doc said she would do a Vbac on me as long as the baby isn't too big. (Unfortunately I have a small pelvis). I debate whether or not to do a vbac. Any other opinions or other stories of successful or unsuccessful vbacs?? Thanks! 

Re: C section mamas wanting a Vbac

  • Hi there! I labored 18 hours and ended in c section as well. I was 9cm after 11 hours and then got stuck for the next 7 hours. She never dropped and was 8lb 13oz (I'm also very thin with small hips). At first, I wanted to try vbac, but then I got pregnant 9 months after the c section and I saw the risk I would be taking of rupturing my uterus to vbac. My incision did not heal well or quickly and never stopped hurting. I haven't met with the doc yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to ask for a repeat c section given my situation. I think you'll know what's best for your body. I carried extremely large with DD and had a feeling I would need a c section even though the docs laughed at me and told me she was measuring "right on target". I MAY consider vbac if I really do feel like the next one is significantly smaller and if my doc can give me some explanations as to why things went the way they did last time (not dropping or progressing after 9cm). I would need full support from my doc to consider vbac at this point bc I'm not convinced my body can even handle birthing a baby for whatever reason. I say go with your instincts and find a doc who supports you if you want to vbac. So many people do it successfully. Best of luck to you 
  • I will be going for a VBA2C! I had planned on a VBAC with my second, but didn't have a doctor willing to be patient, o I ended up with a repeat c. I've since interviewed several new OBs and chosen one solely for that purpose. I also have a doula to help me in the process. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

    M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    TheNewMrsLeeHeavensAngel20x
  • I'm keeping my options open at this point. Since I haven't even had my first appointment yet, I don't know if I'm a candidate. My OB will do VBACs but there is criteria you have to meet to qualify. 

    I was induced with DD, they broke my water, I did fully dilate, but she never dropped. I personally feel I was induced too early and she just wasn't ready (induced a day after EDD). I was induced due to her small size as I was watched for FTT but she ended up gaining the last week and was 7 lbs 2 oz. Since DD will be 3 by the time this one comes, I should have healed fully. 

    A good old friend of mine just had an attempted VBAC for her 3rd child. She had a vaginal delivery for her first and a csection for her second. She ruptured her uterus and it took her bladder too. She had both reconstructed and ended up with a csection and a rough recovery. Her story scares me.  The last two children were not 2 yrs apart so that could have played a part?

    ***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker




    middy411
  • hupp0013hupp0013
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Photogenic
    member
    edited December 2016
    My friend tried for a vbac and has a very small pelvis.  She ended up with another emergency c section after a long labor.

    I do also have a couple of friends that successfully had vbacs.

    I was going to go for a vbac with #2.  I was a good candidate for it and my doctor would have let me.  She ended up staying breech, so I would up with another c section.  I will say that a scheduled c section versus and emergency c section, the recovery was a million times easier and less painful than with my emergency c section.

    Whatever way you choose to go, good luck!
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker
        
  • I have had 4 vbacs and know it can be done. However I have had 3 babies with 99th percentile for head circumference and I am only 5 feet tall. I suppose if baby looked small and the doc was willing to consider v2bac I might consider it but honestly I don't want any more 18 hour labors that end in a section anyways. I'd rather just have a c-section to begin with. I think everyone should try if they want to and have a plan in place in case c-section is needed. Then you can feel good you did the best you could no matter how it turns out. :smile:
  • I will be trying for a HBAC or a VBAC if i can't get clearance for "legal" reasons. Florida has a ton of VBAC laws
    cltweed
  • Wroth DD my water broke on its own labored for 20 hours and stalled at 9cm. Had a c section and poor DD must have been stuck because her poor head was cone shaped when she was born. I will elect for a repeat cs but will wait for my water to break or till I go past my edd.
  • Do whatever you and your doctor want to do. :) with my first I labored off and on for 4 days. 3 days induced.... failed. Then went into labor on my own on the 4th day. Ended in c section after another 24 hours. With my second my doc ans I planned a vbac. But the same symptoms started to rise up (preclampsia). So I had another c-section to get my second out so I wouldn't be sick. So going into my third I'm up for whatever. A vbac would be nice but c sections are life savers. Just make sure you get a doc that's on board and do whatever you can to prep your Body. My best friend just had a successful vbac. Check out the I can website. 
    cltweedhupp0013
  • Thanks! We will all share our stories when the time gets closer!
  • That's very scary! 
  • I'll try for a VBAC. My first was an induction at 39 weeks for GD. I got to fully dilated, pushed for 5 hours, tried a vacuum, but she wouldn't descend. Hoping for better results. Or at least to be more informed this time. It is what it is in the end. Just want a healthy baby.  It's DD's second bday today.  
    image
    TheNewMrsLee
  • dani103dani103
    250 Love Its Second Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper
    member
    edited December 2016
    I was induced with DS at 40 + 3, but I wouldn't go past 3cm. His heart rate and my blood pressure would drop with the pitocin, so I ended up with a cs. I should have waited longer, but I let my OB convince me that I needed to be induced. I am switching OB's this time and would like to try for a VBAC, but it will have been only 15 months since my cs. I will be taking to my new OB next week.
    Married 5/12/2007
    DS 6/3/2016
    MC 1/12/2017
    BFP 7/19/2017
    EDD 3/31/2018

    cltweedlyndshurt
  • I've had two successful VBAC's. My first ended in a c-section after a l o n g labor, despite my desires for a natural delivery. I was ten days post dates, avoided induction, avoided the epi. Labor stalled and wouldn't pick up, even after pitocin. Stuck at 6 cm for hours and finally agreed to c-section. He was posterior and stuck. Had the worst cone head from being jammed there for so long. He was only 7 lbs. 9 oz. 

    Got pregnant with my second when he was just over 1. Found a new doctor who had a reputation for successful VBACS in a very natural birth friendly office (just him and two midwives). Had another fairly long labor, five days post dates. Pushed for 2 1/2 hours (with an epi, thank goodness) and FINALLY delivered my 8 lb. 15 oz baby. 

    Had number three 2 1/2 years later. Four days EARLY and finally got my natural birth with no epi (born barely two hours after I got to the hospital).

    My biggest VBAC advice is to find a provider who doesn't just say they'll let you try for a VBAC and back out but one who will actually deliver on their promise. I've heard too many stories about doctors backing out because 1- baby is too big (I've read research that this is very rarely actually the case. My tiniest, narrow-hipped friend is the fastest birther I know! Also those weight guesstimates are so off sometimes... ), 2- you go past your EDD (again, research shows it's really a "due window" and 2 weeks should be given on either side, provided everything looks ok), or 3- any other number of things.

    Just find a provider you believe in. The doctor for my first VBAC really knew the current research. He wasn't practicing in fear of lawsuits or scheduling inductions and c-sections to fit his schedule. He really believed in the research and had a desire to see women achieve the birth they were hoping for. It felt good to be under his care, because I knew that even if it ended in another CS, it wasn't any fault of his, you know? I mean, I pushed for 2 1/2 long hours. He could have easily said nope, this baby isn't coming. To the OR we go, simply because he was tired and over it and I wouldn't know different, anyway. But he stuck with me, cheered me on, monitored baby and me and knew we looked fine. He believed in me, and that made me believe in myself. It paved the way for my next birth to be so ideal, and hopefully this birth, too (planning for a homebirth type birth center). 

    Another biggie that I think helped me was regular chiropractic care through my last two pregnancies. Since my c-section was largely due to positioning, I wanted to make sure I didn't run into that issue again. The chiropractic care really kept everything in alignment and open. My chiro with my third baby actually met me at the office for an adjustment on my way to the hospital in labor. 

    Good of luck to all of you making the decision. It's a personal one, for sure, but I wanted to share my experience if it could encourage anyone.  <3
    Homeschool mama
    Married 7.28.07
    DS 9.16.10
    DD 8.3.12
    DD 3.1.15
    #4 EDD 8.7.17
    a2003tigerlyndshurtOTmom3
  • My appointment yesterday was with a NP so we discussed VBACs some but I need to further discuss with my doc. Things I learned were (I realize this varies by practice and state):
    - I should be a candidate
    - they will not induce me to have a VBAC, contractions must start on their own
    - I cannot go past my EDD
    - I only have one hospital option (happens to be where I delivered the first time)
    - I'm not guaranteed a certain doctor at delivery (same as last time)
    - they won't allow a VBAC after two csections

    I know we have a lot of time to decide but I'm so on the fence. Having a friend that ruptured and also lost her bladder just freaks me out!

    ***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker




    OTmom3
  • I just got the okay from a local midwife for a HBAC!!! So excited that she took me on. I previously was rushed into an induction by my previous practice. They had a high CS rate, as did my hospital. My midwife is totally on my same page but we have to be cautious about GD if I have it again this pregnancy. Worst case we transfer me to a reputable OB in a women and babies hospital an hour away for a VBAC. Worst worst case I have to be transferred to hospital for a CS. Best case baby at home and no meds! So excited for this! Anyone else no meds and into hypnobirthing? I loved it with my first even
    with my CS!
    lyndshurtcltweed
  • Had a c section with my first due to transverse lie. But I was 38.2 and went into labor on my own and was a 7 by the time we got to the hospital, 2 version attempts and baby wasn't having it. Had a successful VBAC with my daughter 27 months later. 38.4 12 hours of labor, 45min of pushing. Hoping for another successful VBAC this time around 
    image
    lyndshurtOTmom3
  • @TheNewMrsLee Glad to see another homebirther on here! I'm actually planning on delivering at a "we don't call ourselves a birth center, we call ourselves a homebirth just not in your home, in ours." It's a bit closer to the hospital than my house, and with three little ones at home who will surely be alarmed by the sights and sounds of labor/delivery, I'm glad to have the option. I commented above, but this will be my third VBAC. One was with an epi and a long labor, my last was quick (barely 2 hours after I got to the hospital) with no epi and it was wonderful, except for the fact that it was in a harsh hospital room with an on call doctor I hated instead of my midwife and lots of "no you can't get out of the bed" "let me ask you 3756 questions while you're basically pushing" etc. I read the Bradley book and hoped to apply it but don't think I did really, once I got to the hospital. The strategies were really helpful for laboring at home but once I got to the hospital I was out of the zone and sort of manic and out of control. I'm hoping that being in a totally different setting this time will help me stay calm and use the strategies to manage the pain a little better. Good luck to you on your VBAC! 
    Homeschool mama
    Married 7.28.07
    DS 9.16.10
    DD 8.3.12
    DD 3.1.15
    #4 EDD 8.7.17
    lyndshurt

  • ***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker




  • @Kudlica27 found this one too. Probably why I never commented on the other one since I did here. 

    ***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker




    Kudlica27
  • @bumpybump I feel like this is a little better fit! 
    bumpybump
  • OTmom3OTmom3
    Eighth Anniversary 250 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper
    member
    I had a VBAC with my second pregnancy and plan to try for one this time too (third pregnancy). My first was a c section because she was breech when my water broke at 36 weeks. My doctor said I was a good candidate for a VBAC because I had never labored before, so I went for it. It was relatively uncomplicated except for a few minor things. I had to have internal monitors so was stuck in the bed and I had A LOT of bleeding. Not sure if that was from the internal monitors or from dilating quickly. Then DS had his cord around his neck so his heart rate dropped with every push. My OB said I was doing well but that I would need an emergency c section if I couldn't get him out quickly due to how he was responding. Luckily I was able to push him out right after that (20 mins of pushing total). He had to go to the NICU's transitional nursery because he had a very high respiratory rate (maybe due to being choked for 20 minutes trying to make it out the birth canal) but he was only there for 6 hours. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

    #1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17


  • @OTmom3 thanks for sharing your experience! I am hoping the more I hear, the more it will help! 
    OTmom3
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards