June 2017 Moms
Options

6/12 Weekly Randoms

I know the board is slow... but thought I'd start up a thread...

Current thought/question while in newborn zombie mode - anyone already given/going to give a gift to your OB or midwife... or their office?

Re: 6/12 Weekly Randoms

• Options
    I know the board is slow... but thought I'd start up a thread...

Current thought/question while in newborn zombie mode - anyone already given/going to give a gift to your OB or midwife... or their office?
    I'll probably send Warm Cookies, Nothing Bundt Cakes, or an Edible Arrangement when my doctor returns from Europe for he and his staff. 

I'd really like to do more, but I'm at a loss as to what to get him. He's one of my favorite people ever and he's delivered all four of my children.
  • Options
    I want to. My midwife went above and beyond. We had a long 3 day labor and 3 day hospital stay and she barely left our side, even went into surgery with me. I have to think of something good. I can't believe we had such good care. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been lurking over in May and their board seems just as dead as ours, and they are also sad about it. Wondering if we could somehow join forces so those of us left behind could have a more lively board. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing what others are doing...I thought about getting my OB LuLa leggings bc she always complimented mine at my appointments, but I think LuLa is really on it's way out at this point. 

@mamaelle27 that's a great idea  :)

I'm totally having second thoughts about the name DH and I have had picked out for LO since we found out he's a boy. Luckily, I didn't go monogram-crazy with this one like I did with DS!
  • Options
    Yeah, I plan on writing a hand written note/letter to my OB... wanted to give something meaningful as well but I'm coming up empty. 

DH thinks the fees/costs associated with paying him should be more than sufficient  :D but to me I knew going in I was picking a new doctor, surgeon at that, so I just can't thank him enough for taking such amazing care of me (and dealing with me for 9 months with nothing but patience).  Even the postpartum nurses were making comments at their shift changes about how 'over the top' he was by giving them his personal cell for when he went on family vacation the day after my C-section and prearranged with the head pharmacist to have a anticoagulant IV push ready/waiting for me in the event I showed any sign of postpartum hemorrhage.

Nothing seems good enough...
  • Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing!!!! I see all the birth announcement photos in my doc's office but now I realize they probably came with a present! Geez! Now I feel like an ass!
  • Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing!!!! I see all the birth announcement photos in my doc's office but now I realize they probably came with a present! Geez! Now I feel like an ass!
    I hear ya on this! I'd heard of people bringing doughnuts or cookies along with a thank you to their labor & delivery staff at the hospital. I've never given anything to my midwife or OB. I guess I'm in the minority. I just figured people sent the birth announcements into their Dr's offices. I only send them to family. I'm sure even a thank you card is appreciated. My doctor isn't working tomorrow so I don't even know the lady who will be delivering my baby. 
  • Options
    lizerspitzlizerspitz member
    edited June 2017
    I don't think I'll do anything. I don't want to set a precedent of doing more than required   ;).  But really if I did something for the nurses/ob office, I'd create in my mind the need to do something for every other medical professional, and I just don't think my anxieties or wallet could afford that. 
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I used to work in a Dr's office and while a lot of people would send in thank you gifts, it is a minority who do. Although it is very much appreciated, it is definitely not expected.

***Brace yourself; Whining to follow***

My weekly random is that I am SO tired of being pregnant. I had a miscarriage in September at 8 weeks, and I got pregnant with this baby about two weeks later. I'm "only" 38 weeks, but I've been pregnant for almost 11 months. I'm tired, hormonal, and freakishly emotional. 
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    shmarpler said:
    I used to work in a Dr's office and while a lot of people would send in thank you gifts, it is a minority who do. Although it is very much appreciated, it is definitely not expected.

My weekly random is that I am SO tired of being pregnant. I had a miscarriage in September at 8 weeks, and I got pregnant with this baby about two weeks later. I'm "only" 38 weeks, but I've been pregnant for almost 11 months. I'm tired, hormonal, and freakishly emotional. 
    I totally understand how you feel, I had 2 mc before dd. All 3 pregnancies were 3 months apart so I was either pregnant, emotionally drained from losing a baby and physically recovering from that and then pregnant with dd which was a difficult pregnancy. Feb 2012-June 1013. It was so draining. Then I breastfed until she was 2 1/2. The things we do for our babies right?? 
  • Options
    shmarpler said:

I totally understand how you feel, I had 2 mc before dd. All 3 pregnancies were 3 months apart so I was either pregnant, emotionally drained from losing a baby and physically recovering from that and then pregnant with dd which was a difficult pregnancy. Feb 2012-June 1013. It was so draining. Then I breastfed until she was 2 1/2. The things we do for our babies right?? 
    Oh, gosh! I can't even imagine!

I don't really have anything to back this up with, but I think pregnancies after a loss seem to be more difficult, both physically and emotionally. It's such a rollercoaster.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    @shmarpler is this your first living baby? 
    She was my first living so I don't either, but I agree. You worry the whole time and have a hard time enjoying it, at least that's how I was. I actually love breastfeeding though. Everyone is different, but I feel my healthiest when making milk. My anxiety calms way down and I'm able to relax and cuddle with the baby. I wish I could breastfeed forever! 
  • Options
    @Kylieslip24, this is my second baby, but fourth pregnancy. And yeah, I worried so much with my daughter, that I didn't buy anything baby related until I was over six months pregnant. I even made my husband kind of mad because I didn't want to tell anyone.

I didn't love nursing, but my baby wasn't a snuggler, and I loved the snuggles I got while nursing. I also loved that I could eat like a sumo wrestler and still lose weight. 
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    Oh ok. Yeah me too. That sounds a lot like how I was, just freaked the whole time.
    dd was and still is a MAJOR cuddler. I've been trying really hard to cuddle them both now. She would have nursed forever I think, but we stopped cause I had health problems when she was 2 1/2. 
    Last night I was super engorgred so had to break out the pump. I got 2 oz out of one not even emptying, just relieving and she was so interested. Then when I offered it to her she chugged it down! So weird! But hey a little health boost I guess. Lol 
  • Options
    Oh yes! And the weight loss! I was skinnier after baby than I was before! Without trying! 
  • Options
    Yeah, once DD1 started sleeping really well, she'd go to bed at 730, and wake up at 8. I would have to pump so I could sleep. I usually got 2-3 oz per side. I only pumped through one let down. I always wondered what I could have gotten if I'd pumped longer, but I'd had oversupply issues for so long, I didn't want to try.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    Wow! Lucky you got a good sleeper! Dd still has a hard time sleeping without being able to hear us and since our Bedrooms are upstairs we have a hard time getting her down early. Luckily she is a long napper so at least she is a pleasant night owl. Lol 
  • Options
    Well, that was #1 and she was a little older when she started doing that, but we definitely lucked out on her sleeping habits. I'm just planning on #2 being a bad sleeper or super colicky. We never got a rocking chair for #1, but I think we will need one this time.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    I figured the same thing, but you never know! So far ds sleeps the same as dd. They both are great sleepers, when we cosleep. Lol 
  • Options
    You've given me hope! Haha! 
    Married 8/29/09