August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• My fasting numbers were looking a little high and they suggested that I drink a small glass of whole milk in the middle of the night, like midnight-2 am. It has definitely helped. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • As suspected, I got a call on my way home tonight that I failed one of the blood draws (the 2 hour number).  All of my other numbers looked great, but my practice is overly cautious so I'm being sent to the place I didn't like last time to be monitored.  So not looking forward to that, but I have 10 weeks left, hopefully my numbers will be in check like last time and maybe this will keep my large weight gain more in control.  The testing is annoying, but it's the place that monitors me that I dread the most.  I don't find the appointments helpful, they're not at the most convenient times or location and what bothers me the most is the way they conduct themselves.  I get that they're used to dealing with non compliant patients, but scare tactics and threats of insulin don't sit well with me especially when I was compliant and had numbers that my OB was happy with.  I'm going to try to go in with an open mind, but will be discussing it with my OB if I have another bad experience.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @MetsGirl18- I'm sorry you have to go through it again :( I hope your monitoring place is better this time too! All of your advice has been really helpful to me so far!
    I have my first follow up appt tomorrow so I hope they don't use scare tactics either. My monitoring office is also pretty far away from where I work so i lose at least half a day each time I go there.
  • @bubblesmtu I have been to, two different monitoring places and they have both been happy to talk to someone who is keeping good track and actually understands what needs to be done.  I hope you have a similar experience.  I have always left feeling very successful in my monitoring.

@MetsGirl18 Sorry you have to deal with GD again.  How often do you have to go to your monitoring place.  With both of my pregnancies I have only had to go once and then just show my doctor my number journal every 2 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @bubblesmtu Since your fasting number is the least likely to be controlled by diet, having elevated fasting numbers could definitely lead to medication.  Last time, I was told that they want less than 10% of the readings for the week to be above the cutoff.  However, as my fasting numbers started to climb towards the cutoff and were occasionally above it by a few points, I was threatened with insulin.  That annoyed me because my OB was fine with my numbers, but the place that I was sent to for monitoring was very militant and would make me feel guilty if any readings were above the cutoff.  I think they're used to dealing with non compliant patients, but I don't respond well to scare tactics.  I never ended up needing medication and played around with my nighttime snacks/routine to try to keep it more under control.  
    I'm sorry your clinic is like that. Mine is similar and I agree that they must deal with a lot of people who just don't do what they are told but it really sucks for those of use who do don't need to be browbeaten into submission!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey, ladies! I haven't been active for a while but I thought that I'd start back up again given that it's nearing closer to the end and that I was also diagnosed with GD. I failed the 1-hour test by 20 points and failed 2/4 blood draws from the 3-hour test. Just wanted to let you all know that we're in the same boat, and while it sucks it's definitely nice to know others that are along for the ride. :smile:
  • @shyviolet I had the initial appointment, which was an education class followed by the nurse showing me how to use a glucometer.  Then, I had to go maybe 2 more times to get my A1C and weight checked and have a consultation.  I also had to fax my numbers in weekly and they usually called after reviewing them.

I got a call this afternoon from the scheduler and I don't have the appointment for another 2.5 weeks.  I'm actually surprised they're not seeing me earlier although since I don't actually have GD yet, maybe there isn't a rush to try to squeeze me in.  At that point, I'll be almost 32 weeks and will be delivering by 39+1.  I plan to mention it to my OB at my appointment later this week and I'll start watching my diet, but part of me doesn't mind having less interaction with the diabetes place.
  • I had my first real follow up appointment today and since they think all my numbers look good and baby boy is only measuring a week ahead I don't have to go back for six weeks. I still have to send in my numbers each week but at least I won't have quite as many appts as I originally thought. 
  • Sitting at my 3 hr now. Had the first blood draw and then chugged the drink. Got the fruit punch flavor this time which wasn't bad. Slightly nauseous because I'm also starving. Going to drink lots of water and hope the next 3 hrs fly by! Good luck to the other ladies taking their test today! 
  • I just finished my 3 hour test. Surprisingly I feel fine and did not have a bad headache like I did during the 1 hour test. I'm hoping that's a good sign. DH treated me to panera afterwards. I had a very low carb Greek salad. Also why the hell does panera put feta on everything? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Mango517Mango517 member
    edited June 2017
    @BlackNYellow Good news about feeling better after the 3-hour test! I felt off and pretty yucky for a long time after my 1 hr (should have hinted to me then that maybe I was going to fail), so I think it's encouraging you feel fine this time around! And yessssssss on Panera putting either feta or blue cheese on everything! So annoying.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks to the medical school that is Google, I've read up on GD and the prescribed diet plan you need to follow after diagnosis. At first I was trying to do almost no carbs and that was a disaster. However, after a few days of following the guidelines I found online I have to admit I'm feeling loads better. Besides my iron supplement kicking in, I think it's especially the eating at regular interval thing that's helping me the most. Before pregnancy I was so used to relying on hunger cues to let me know it was time to eat and waiting for those signs during pregnancy was causing far too long to go by between meals and snacks.

With the exception of this morning's number (effed that up by staying up way too late working), all my numbers have been well within the range so I'm anxious to go over them with my Dr. and the counselor to see what they say about everything.

Right now I'm starting to tinker around to see what kinds of carbs and sugars I can eat and how they effect my blood sugar. Learned that a small serving of ice cream last night gave me a great 2 hour reading, so I'm cautiously optimistic about that one :)

Also, I can't wait to get the automated lancet thingy I ordered from Amazon. The worst part of this so far has been the mental hurdle of jamming a lance in your finger 4-6 times a day.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mango517 said:
    Also, I can't wait to get the automated lancet thingy I ordered from Amazon. The worst part of this so far has been the mental hurdle of jamming a lance in your finger 4-6 times a day.
    So glad you are figuring everything out and that you were able to indulge a bit! I  hear you on jamming that lancet in your finger. I've been checking 4x a day since I got my failed result (just to be on the safe side, and because my OB had me feeling all sorts of anxious) and of course the lancets I have are not compatible with the lancet device. I never know how far to stab the lancet in and just go until I have pain. I've chickened out a few times and then have to stab myself again. I'm pretty sure that is not how it's supposed to work!  :D
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @Mango517 it's amazing how the automatic lancet is so much better! I still jump when I do it though, haha. 

For everyone that has been diagnosed, there's a great Facebook group called 'Gestational Diabetes' that offers wonderful advice and support from current and past GD ladies. They are a wonderful group and help with so many questions. 
  • @mango517 I was wondering how bad the lancet really was - that definitely seems like torture. I'm glad you feel better though!

@BlackNYellow I felt awful after the 1 hour and fine after the 3 hour as well - my fingers are crossed for you!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @Mango517  It sounds like you already have your lancet ordered but you can also get one at a drug store for about $15.  I have found it really interesting to play around with my diet and see what my body can handle.  I can do potatoes and whole grain bread with out much issue, but I can't eat any type of rice.

@MetsGirl18  That is way more then I have to do.  It is interesting how different everyone's GD is monitored.  I just show it to my doctors every 2 weeks and then normally just glance at it.  I also openly volunteer any numbers I have had issues with so I think that is why they don't look to closely.

My fasting numbers are starting to creep up. I am still within range but would like more of a buffer since I have 8 weeks left to go.    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My hands still start sweating when I'm getting ready to check my blood! But it really doesn't hurt and I have mine set to a low setting because you really only need a small amount of blood to get a reading. 
    This week my numbers are higher but I don't know if it's just from extra stress at work or the pregnancy progression :( 
  • @shyviolet It's frustrating because I had less than 10% of my numbers each week above the range and when they were above, it was barely above and usually due to what I ate.  My numbers in general were well within the range and I never ended up developing GD.  Failing 1 blood draw is considered glucose intolerance (failing 2 is GD) and while the place that monitors me treats it the same way as GD, other practices aren't as overly cautious.  I have the same thing again this time and hope I'm able to control it.  I guess it's better to be proactive, but I would've been much happier with a more relaxed monitoring schedule especially when I was compliant and my OB was happy with the numbers.

My biggest issue was also my fasting numbers, which were on the higher end of the range and occasionally over by a few points.  I played around with my evening snack, both the protein/carb combination and the timing of it which helped a little.  That's definitely the number that's hardest to control because diet doesn't have as much of an impact.  Good luck!  I hope you're able to keep your fasting numbers within the range.
  • Questions for those who are testing their sugars: are you using an alcohol wipe on your finger prior to testing?  Also, are you testing 1 hour after you start a meal or 2 hours?

I had an OB appointment this morning and she wasn't thrilled that the monitoring place can't fit me in for another 2 weeks.  Since I still have my glucometer from last time, she wrote me a prescription for the lancets and test strips.  She just wants me to test my fasting and after 1 of the meals every day for now.  Since it has been 5 years, just trying to remember some of the basics.
  • I have not been seen by a Dr or the counselor, so I've been going off of 2 hrs after eating since those are the guidelines I found on Google. If I'm feeling curious to see how my body is doing then I'll test an hour after eating as well, but I try to always do 2 hours after as a standard for my numbers. I don't alcohol wipe my finger but I do try to wash my hands shortly beforehand. I might start with the alcohol wipes now that I have the lancing device and don't want to change the lance each time.

This was my first day with a lancing device and man what a difference it made! So much better in terms of the sting and slight pain of lancing myself. Well worth the $7 on Amazon!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • To avoid infection, you should always be using an alcohol wipe and new lancet each time. Nurse advice lol
    (Just make sure the finger is completely dry before poking as alcohol mixed into the blood will cause a higher number. )
  • I test 1 hr after meals and my number should be under 130.  If I can't test to 1 hr I will sometimes do a 2 hr test and just make a note of it.  My fasting number should be under 90.

@brookedeyo Is soap and water not enough?  I hate all the trash the alcohol wipes create.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The last two mornings I've had my leg cramps come back and so I've used magnesium oil to help with the cramping when I woke up...using the magnesium oil also seems to be the reason my fasting numbers dropped a lot (10 points) on those two days only. 
    Now im wondering if high fasting is worse due to a magnesium deficiency. A fb group also said to do an epsom salt soak for lower fasting numbers. 
    Worth a shot anyway if you have higher fasting numbers. 
  • Mango517 said:
    Thanks to the medical school that is Google, I've read up on GD and the prescribed diet plan you need to follow after diagnosis. At first I was trying to do almost no carbs and that was a disaster. However, after a few days of following the guidelines I found online I have to admit I'm feeling loads better. Besides my iron supplement kicking in, I think it's especially the eating at regular interval thing that's helping me the most. Before pregnancy I was so used to relying on hunger cues to let me know it was time to eat and waiting for those signs during pregnancy was causing far too long to go by between meals and snacks.
    This was pretty similar to my experience too. Once I met with the diabetes counselor and we talked about what I was eating, I learned that I actually needed to eat MORE carbs in the evening. That's the time of the day that's hardest for me with nausea and food aversions, and just had to cut back on carbs and increase protein early in the day. The scheduled eating is really helping me to feel better in general (and I also started on an iron supplement that I think is helping).

For those that are having trouble with fasting numbers, my counselor suggested adding a midnight snack and it has helped tremendously. The best thing that works for me is eating one of those Sargent balanced breaks things (nuts, cheese, and dried fruit) around 1-2 am. Apparently if you go without eating for a long enough stretch your liver will release sugars which causes your fasting blood sugar to be higher. It's reduced mine by like 10 points consistently. 
  • @SarahBethBR- do you have a midnight snack as well as your evening snack or does the midnight one replace it?
  • I have both.

the midnight snack helps with something called the dawn phenomenon, if you want to ask your doctor. 
  • megaroo42megaroo42 member
    edited June 2017
    @MetsGirl18 I have to test 4x a day, and I use a mix of alcohol wipes and plain old handwashing. I use the alcohol wipes if I'm out somewhere and can't wash my hands. However, I've found that the handwashing increases how much blood comes out with the poke which is helpful. It really sucks when you have to poke again when you didn't get enough blood. Just make sure to use a new lancet each time!
  • @megaroo42 Thanks!  My fingers are usually cold so I need to run them under warm water or hold/rub them to draw the blood closer to my fingertips before testing.  Those were things I learned last time around after I was having trouble getting enough of a sample to test.  I've been using the alcohol wipes after washing my hands, but I'm not sure if that's really necessary.
  • I failed my one hour GTT with a 141 (and that was FASTING). Not excited to do the 3 hour test this Friday. I'm also anemic. :#
  • I'm sorry @PinkPrincessPiper :| I hope Friday goes better for you!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

•  I just saw that you failed the one hour test by one point @PinkPrincessPiper I'm sorry!!! I really hope your test on Friday goes well.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bubblesmtu  I think it is interesting that we both have leg cramps and GD.  I ordered my spray and it should arrive soon.  You have given me hope it will help may fasting numbers as well.

@PinkPrincessPiper Good luck at your test tomorrow.

@SarahBethBR Thanks for the night time snack advice.  My fasting numbers have been just within the ok range for the last few weeks so if they go up any more that I will check in with my doctor about doing that.

We are having a heat wave and it is really suppressing my appetite.  I hope once it cools down it gets a little easier again, but right now eating 6 times a day is a struggle.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • shyviolet said:
    @bubblesmtu  I think it is interesting that we both have leg cramps and GD.  I ordered my spray and it should arrive soon.  You have given me hope it will help may fasting numbers as well.

@PinkPrincessPiper Good luck at your test tomorrow.

@SarahBethBR Thanks for the night time snack advice.  My fasting numbers have been just within the ok range for the last few weeks so if they go up any more that I will check in with my doctor about doing that.

We are having a heat wave and it is really suppressing my appetite.  I hope once it cools down it gets a little easier again, but right now eating 6 times a day is a struggle.  
    Yes I feel like we have the same pregnancy symptoms! I hope your fasting numbers stay ok!!
  • Questions for those who are testing their sugars: are you using an alcohol wipe on your finger prior to testing?  Also, are you testing 1 hour after you start a meal or 2 hours?

I had an OB appointment this morning and she wasn't thrilled that the monitoring place can't fit me in for another 2 weeks.  Since I still have my glucometer from last time, she wrote me a prescription for the lancets and test strips.  She just wants me to test my fasting and after 1 of the meals every day for now.  Since it has been 5 years, just trying to remember some of the basics.
    The alcohol pads really dry out my fingers so I usually just wash my hands before testing. I also find that unless I make sure the alcohol has dried up for a good 15-30 seconds it can throw off my numbers.

I test 2 hours after eating. I was setting an alarm to test at 2 hours but my doc said anything within15-30 min of that 2 hour period should be just fine.

The doctor told me that testing at 1 hour is a good idea if you are trying to see how a particular meal is impacting your sugars and 2 hours gives you a good reference as to how your body is correctly for elevated sugars and releasing insulin to correct. Fasting and more than 5 hours after eating give you an idea of how your liver is functioning and how much glycogen it is releasing into the blood stream on its own. 

I hope this is helpful. I know this can be really confusing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was wondering if any of you have added apple cider vinegar into your evening routine to lower fastings. I haven't tried it yet but some diabetics (online forums) say it really helps. I don't know if I can stomach drinking a glass of vinegar water before bed...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove Thanks for the info!  I've been testing 2 hours after a meal.  I thought I tested an hour after meals last time, but since that was 5 years ago, my memory was probably just foggy.
  • They adjusted my insulin again Friday and it's made my fasting numbers look great but I'm bottoming out in the lows all throughout the day (60s). They keep saying to eat more carb-filled snacks during the day but I gotta be honest, I'm really struggling to figure out how to make that fit into my day. I typically just drink water and grab a handful of mixed nuts or edamame trail mix in between meetings.

What kind of snacks are you ladies eating during the day? I was thinking maybe peanut butter and apples? I bought a box of granola bars and will add those into my daily rotation but I am guessing I'll be sick of those pretty quickly. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MetsGirl18 3 years ago i was testing 1 hour too. I asked my doc why the difference and he gave me the info I provided above. He also said that there are more studies and data around 2 hour postprandial testing so my guess is that things keep changing as we go and they adjust (much like the meds used to treat are different now too)
    Pregnancy Ticker